Author Topic: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations v0.98  (Read 233506 times)

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations Mod
« Reply #165 on: March 08, 2015, 06:32:29 pm »
This mod is not updated for a latest nightly, try a openxcom_git_master_2015_02_22_0621 for a proper experience. Except HWPs, UAVs and MLRS are broken, I think.

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 29, 2015, 06:43:05 pm »
First Contact

We're in uncharted territory now.

New UFO secured

Yes I redid the UFO tiles from scratch. At least of a third of the tiles are animated. I am still working on actually mapping most of the UFOs at the moment. The rest of the mod finally has a working marathon tech tree, but the UFOpaedia needs a lot of work. I am still trying to get all of the UFOs mapped and integrated before I finish trying to fix the rest of the mod since the new tiles changed how UFO looting works. I have no idea when the release will be.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 08:00:18 pm by XOps »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #167 on: May 29, 2015, 06:57:33 pm »
OMG.  That looks amazing!! Sweet Work!!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #168 on: May 29, 2015, 08:45:15 pm »
It sure does...

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 29, 2015, 11:26:42 pm »
Very hi-quality, similar to robin work. This is great that we have so many talented people there :)

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 29, 2015, 11:29:12 pm »
It sure does...

Yup...

Nice work there!

I think the Overlords in Redux will get their own kind of UFOs... :D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:30:48 pm by Hobbes »

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 30, 2015, 07:08:48 am »
Wow! Great job!

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #172 on: May 30, 2015, 09:28:15 am »
A very interesting design, and unlike anything that has been seen before - the ship resembles TFTD alien ships, and it also resembles TFTD XCom ships, but is neither of them and has many unique features. Do you plan to completely change the look and feel of the alien tech, just like you did with the human tech?

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #173 on: May 30, 2015, 01:04:25 pm »
I am drolling about your graohic skills....

It is so heavy that i have to stop looking away or i start getting drowned in my own droll...

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 30, 2015, 08:46:47 pm »
A very interesting design, and unlike anything that has been seen before - the ship resembles TFTD alien ships, and it also resembles TFTD XCom ships, but is neither of them and has many unique features.

I mimicked quite a few TFTD tiles. TFTD had great art direction despite its other problems. Also XCom had a shiny theme in that game as opposed to the Alien's grungy and organic themes. I stole the shiny basically. I always liked how much more interesting the USOs felt in TFTD. The UFOs in original XCom always felt kind of empty. This wasn't entirely the fault of the artists given the strict tile restrictions for those games.

Do you plan to completely change the look and feel of the alien tech, just like you did with the human tech?

Eventually. Once I get done with the UFOs, I plan to adapt those tiles to the Alien base and I want to try to do something unique for the final alien brain level as well. I have also started reworking all of the alien weapons to give them a unique alien feel, but I am still not quiet satisfied with the result.

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 31, 2015, 02:47:02 pm »
Question: Is this complete, as in can play from start to finish? Not complete in development. Looks very promissing and interesting.

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 31, 2015, 05:29:39 pm »
Question: Is this complete, as in can play from start to finish? Not complete in development. Looks very promissing and interesting.

Check the first post to download the older version (it doesn't have the new UFOs though). You can play from start to finish, but it won't work with the latest nightly nor the 1.0 milestone. Well it should load with the latest nightly, but you would need to remove one of the rulesets since the new nightly system loads all the rulesets at once. Also you would have to avoid the HWPs and UAVs since they are bugged with the new nightly. The new UFOs will be part of the next release that is currently under development. The new version should fix compatibility issues with the latest nightly as well.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 05:33:51 pm by XOps »

Offline pilot00

• Colonel
  • Back in the day it was gameplay not a feature....
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 01, 2015, 12:00:23 am »
Check the first post to download the older version (it doesn't have the new UFOs though). You can play from start to finish, but it won't work with the latest nightly nor the 1.0 milestone. Well it should load with the latest nightly, but you would need to remove one of the rulesets since the new nightly system loads all the rulesets at once. Also you would have to avoid the HWPs and UAVs since they are bugged with the new nightly. The new UFOs will be part of the next release that is currently under development. The new version should fix compatibility issues with the latest nightly as well.

Ok thanky for that :D

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2015, 10:35:14 pm »
Got all of the UFO maps done. Well except for making like a billion map nodes. Also there are probably a bunch of holes and other issues that will need to be sorted out. I'll save that for the beta testers. I have a total of 27 new maps for the new UFOs: Scout (8 variants), Research Ship (4 variants), Abductor (4 variants), Harvester (4 variants), Strike Cruiser (Formerly the Terror Ship)(3 variants), Supply Ship (3 variants), and the Battleship (1 variant).

No small or large scouts. The original game had way too many scouts. I may still design a few new UFOs. I want at least one unique UFO per alien mission type. I want to do a large construction ship for the Alien Base mission and a mother ship for the Infiltration mission, but I can save those for later.

I do worry somewhat about the design of the maps themselves. It's very pretty, but all of the animated tiles may make the UFO interiors a bit too busy and distracting. Also the interiors are a lot more cramped than the older UFOs which were populated by mostly empty rooms.
I'll leave a teaser of the outer hull of the Abductor.

Also I finally managed to make a good paperdoll of the power armor. Here is a picture in their full color glory before the xcom color palette takes off some of the shine.

Now back to trying to desperately fix the stupid marathon tech tree. Oh yeah, and making lots and lots of map nodes.   :P

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2015, 11:06:15 pm »
Simply amazing!  :o