Author Topic: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations v0.98  (Read 233578 times)

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
Re: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations Mod
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2015, 05:04:14 am »
Wow. Figures everyone waits until the day that I get my eyes dilated at the optometrist to flood the XenoOps thread. Now that I can see again, I will try to answer some questions.

XOps, this is an amazing piece of work overall!

I stumbled upon it while looking for new weapon sprites to use in a project I'm developing and you've got a ton of nice ideas implemented that I was already considering for my project. I hope you don't mind me using them.

I've got one suggestion for this mod - Redo the Heavy Cannon, Auto Cannon and Rocket Launcher to fit with the rest of the XCom weapons. On the original game each weapon has its own art style, but in your mod each weapon tier has its unique style. I'm planning to stick to the original weapons, so I'm picking sprites for the new weapons from different sources (and also because it helps to visually distinguish between the weapons). But I will use one one of your weaponsets by assigning it to a new faction because they simply look too cool and distinctive.

And I'm occasionally getting some weird crashes when only using your mod, so something might not be right. If I can figure out the bug, I'll let you know.

High praise from the master of maps :). I don't mind at all if you use my sprites. In fact, I considered plundering the Terrain Pack down the road once I get my tech tree sorted out and I start adding my own terrains.
Also I had considered redoing the heavy weapons, just can't get a good draft of the things yet. It's on my todo list when I get other bigger issues sorted out for 1.0.

I installed this mod on Arch Linux, running the latest Git build of Openxcom.

I get a segfault (SIGSEGV) when I start my first terror mission, just after the autosave. I have succesfully shot down and recovered a few UFOs.

I also had a few issues with incorrectly named assets when I first launched the game after installing the mod, but I just changed the names of the assets (a few .gif files).

Could you give me a list of wrong named assets? I would like to fix these for the next release.

Reverting to an earlier nightly is difficult for me, as there are only nightlies for the Windows version of OXC.
I built OXC from source from the developers repository instead.

I used to have shotgun and medikithandob, but I removed them before I installed XenOps. Is XenOps based on any other mods that I can update? Are there any known options I can change to improve stability in the current nightly?

XenoOps is made to be stand alone. You don't need any other mods to make XenoOps work. I will fool around with the latest nightly to see if I can try to increase stability. It worked fine with the recent map update, but a lot of stuff has changed since then and I haven't tried with the latest nightly.

Really lovely mod, I just updated my current game fr Xeno Ops v0.80 to v0.90 and was wondering about the uav's. Is it possible for them to have a 2nd weapon like a smoke launcher as I feel they're a bit vulnerable scouting about on their own. Like u can have them scouting along with a troop who'll drop a smoke grenade for cover but does this not defeat the whole purpose of them scouting?

I would be rather hesitant to give UAVs additional abilities. They already get a ton of TUs and can reveal half the map in a single turn. If others feel the same way then I might consider it, but I worry this may make them a bit too useful.

I just found a game-crashing bug using the latest nightly related to the Hybrids. When it's a Hybrid's turn to more the game will crash.

If you're playing the nightly with this mod stay out of tactical missions that involve Armored Sectoids and their Hybrid terrorist units.

EDIT: Muton Warlords also cause it to crash.

EDIT2: This appears to be an OXC bug since I just got it while playing a mission without any mods enabled.

I will test this on my own and see if I can confirm.

Didn't consider reporting it since it seems to happen on every tactical mission, so I thought developers will notice it quickly. But if it isn't fixed quickly, I'll sure file a report since it is messing with my mod testing.

In any case, this mod looks to me fine at the moment, otherwise it's a question of asking XOps to update it when a new nightly breaks it.

It's not a problem. I usually lurk here even if I don't post a lot. I am actually still working on the mod, but only in between working on my book project. I don't think I will be able to do another proper XenoOps release until I get my book project out of the way first. However I have no issue fixing minor compatibility issues when the crop up.

Offline Phiphler

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2015, 11:20:03 am »
Resources/XenoOperations/Aliens/BIGOBS/Hybrid_Inventory_Corpse.gif
think it was just a miscapitalization

The other was a pistol in the weapons folder, unsure of the exact name.

I tried disabling the mod and that fixes the crashing, so it's definitly some weird interaction with the latest developer builds.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2015, 07:26:49 pm »
High praise from the master of maps :). I don't mind at all if you use my sprites. In fact, I considered plundering the Terrain Pack down the road once I get my tech tree sorted out and I start adding my own terrains.
Also I had considered redoing the heavy weapons, just can't get a good draft of the things yet. It's on my todo list when I get other bigger issues sorted out for 1.0.

Well, the master of maps can't do much magic without the sprites you guys create... like every magician, it's all a trick of perception ;)

In any case, I've taken a break from map creation... to focus on another project. Surprisingly (or not) I discovered that several of my ideas were similar to yours (Cydonia Elite crew, etc.) so several of your sprites were just what I needed. Which has also gotten me wondering if it was possible to combine my project into yours, although we have different ideas in how to use some of those sprites.

But this is just an idea for further reflection: I still need to do a ton of work first and you're busy with other things (good luck with your book!).

Resources/XenoOperations/Aliens/BIGOBS/Hybrid_Inventory_Corpse.gif
think it was just a miscapitalization

The other was a pistol in the weapons folder, unsure of the exact name.

I tried disabling the mod and that fixes the crashing, so it's definitly some weird interaction with the latest developer builds.

It can't actually see the issue with the Hybrid_Inventory_Corpse.gif, specially since any differences in filenames would cause the game not to start. Unless you're running it under Linux, which would cause problems.

I keep getting the crash without any mods enabled, so I'm trying to narrow down the specific conditions: it only happens with the Debug mode enabled, and it also seems to happen only on maps where there are aliens of rank 1 (usually leaders) deployed, i.e. Terror Sites, Battleships or Terror Ships. Can you please try with these conditions and see if you also get the crash? If so, I'll definitely file a bug report.

Offline Phiphler

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2015, 09:06:29 pm »
It can't actually see the issue with the Hybrid_Inventory_Corpse.gif, specially since any differences in filenames would cause the game not to start. Unless you're running it under Linux, which would cause problems.

I keep getting the crash without any mods enabled, so I'm trying to narrow down the specific conditions: it only happens with the Debug mode enabled, and it also seems to happen only on maps where there are aliens of rank 1 (usually leaders) deployed, i.e. Terror Sites, Battleships or Terror Ships. Can you please try with these conditions and see if you also get the crash? If so, I'll definitely file a bug report.

I am running it under Linux, and it did cause the game to not start.

Anyway, I downloaded the latest Windows nightly and installed the XenOps mod, and run it with WINE instead. It works just fine now, I could even transplant my savegames with no problems.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 17, 2015, 05:23:36 pm »
Starting the 'Lite' version, I saw tiny Ufopedia issues:
'for sell' -> for sale (I think? not native English speaker)
Tank/Mortar has weapon "STR_CORRIDOR"
X1A is listed before X1, but refers to X1

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 17, 2015, 06:13:22 pm »
Tank/Mortar has weapon "STR_CORRIDOR"
X1A is listed before X1, but refers to X1

What? This is from version 0.90:

Code: [Select]
  - type: STR_TANK_MORTAR
    size: 6
    costBuy: 460000
    costSell: 360000
    transferTime: 96
    weight: 1
    bigSprite: 5002
    floorSprite: 0
    handSprite: 0
    bulletSprite: 4
    fireSound: 12
    compatibleAmmo:
      - STR_MORTAR_ROUND

The X1 and X1A pistols also look fine to me.

- id: STR_HVPISTOL_SMALL
    type_id: 4
    section: STR_WEAPONS_AND_EQUIPMENT
    text: STR_HVPISTOL_SMALL_UFOPEDIA
    listOrder: 3402

- id: STR_HVPISTOL
    type_id: 4
    section: STR_WEAPONS_AND_EQUIPMENT
    text: STR_HVPISTOL_UFOPEDIA
    listOrder: 3403
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 06:16:06 pm by Hobbes »

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 17, 2015, 08:28:09 pm »
It's the ufopedia article, it listed "Weapon......STR_CORRIDOR" earlier, and  "Weapon......      " now. Looks like a random bug with uninitialized string.
I looked at the code (https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/blob/master/src/Ruleset/ArticleDefinition.cpp#L301), the ufopedia entries for HWPs should have a "weapon:" field to refer to weapon names, and this mod lacks it for STR_TANK_MORTAR, STR_TANK_MRLS, STR_UAV.

My issue with the pistols is that if you read the Ufopedia from beginning to end, you first get X1A which says 'X1A is a shortened version of the X1 Pistol', and then X1 which says 'The X1 Pistol is the first in a new series'. I feel the listOrder should be reversed.

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 19, 2015, 06:11:52 pm »
It's the ufopedia article, it listed "Weapon......STR_CORRIDOR" earlier, and  "Weapon......      " now. Looks like a random bug with uninitialized string.
I looked at the code (https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/blob/master/src/Ruleset/ArticleDefinition.cpp#L301), the ufopedia entries for HWPs should have a "weapon:" field to refer to weapon names, and this mod lacks it for STR_TANK_MORTAR, STR_TANK_MRLS, STR_UAV.

My issue with the pistols is that if you read the Ufopedia from beginning to end, you first get X1A which says 'X1A is a shortened version of the X1 Pistol', and then X1 which says 'The X1 Pistol is the first in a new series'. I feel the listOrder should be reversed.

Noted. Will fix these next release.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 26, 2015, 01:10:49 pm »
After playing the core mod (rather than the "light" version) :
Personal armor can get researched after Alloy armor, although it's not as good. I don't know if it's a leftover of original research tree, but I think it would be clearer if armors were a linear research branch. (or make Alloy armor "give" Personal armor, if this one is the basis for future Power armor)
It's not clear which amount of components you get from disassembling alien stuff - no idea how you could show this information :(
Lasers being unlocked by two specific high-velocity weapons is not very intuitive. The rest of the research (so far) is very evident even on first playthrough.

Any other critic I have with this mod is because of its generosity : It leaves a lot of original game content in place, in addition to the new stuff. You shouldn't hesitate to remove original weapons whose role is replaced (especially when the replacement use  identical but incompatible clips!)
You also shouldn't hesitate to alter the starting gear - especially remove some vanilla weapons, to let the player buy stuff of his choice instead. And remove a fighter ship to leave a hangar free. So the player can immediately choose if he wants to rent one or build one, or keep the money for something else.

Offline XOps

• Colonel
  • Guy who drowns first
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 28, 2015, 03:37:33 am »
After playing the core mod (rather than the "light" version) :
Personal armor can get researched after Alloy armor, although it's not as good. I don't know if it's a leftover of original research tree, but I think it would be clearer if armors were a linear research branch. (or make Alloy armor "give" Personal armor, if this one is the basis for future Power armor)
It's not clear which amount of components you get from disassembling alien stuff - no idea how you could show this information :(
Lasers being unlocked by two specific high-velocity weapons is not very intuitive. The rest of the research (so far) is very evident even on first playthrough.

Any other critic I have with this mod is because of its generosity : It leaves a lot of original game content in place, in addition to the new stuff. You shouldn't hesitate to remove original weapons whose role is replaced (especially when the replacement use  identical but incompatible clips!)
You also shouldn't hesitate to alter the starting gear - especially remove some vanilla weapons, to let the player buy stuff of his choice instead. And remove a fighter ship to leave a hangar free. So the player can immediately choose if he wants to rent one or build one, or keep the money for something else.

Thanks for the feedback! :) Thankfully almost all of these will be addressed during the next release. The armor tech tree has been redone so personal armor comes before alloy. There isn't too much I can do about component info during disassembling since the manufacturing screen does not show components produced. I do plan to amend all ufopaedia entries to give this information though.
Lasers are getting their own tech tree that kicks in mid game now.
I will remove both the classic pistol and classic rifle for the full version. I will definitely take a second look at starting gear, but leaving out too much stuff becomes problematic since a player may find themselves short on weapons when the first UFOs hit.
Regardless thanks for the feedback. Although the next version will fix most of your above criticisms, it will unfortunately probably introduce a lot more since the tech tree is completely different.

In other news, I finally made a Terran version of the Blaster Launcher.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 28, 2015, 05:40:46 pm »
Was wondering if it's possible to have the Rook, Guardian and Aegis crafts carry troops and maybe 1 hwp like Xcom Util's fighter transports. Wud attempt this myself but unsure exactly what this involves. Surely it's more complicated than simply editing the XO crafts.rul file or the Xcom Util .rul file. Don't want to balls up my current game so please advise.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 28, 2015, 06:04:43 pm »
Simon: It's actually not hard to re-use the tactical maps of the XComutil's fighter :
copy the following lines under "  - type: STR_XCF1", XCF2 and XCF3.
You can reduce the number of soldiers or vehicles, but not increase it. (And keep soldiers >= vehicles*4)
    soldiers: 6
    vehicles: 1
    battlescapeTerrainData:
      name: INTERC
      mapDataSets:
        - BLANKS
        - PLANE
      mapBlocks:
        - name: INTERC
          width: 10
          length: 10

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 28, 2015, 08:33:54 pm »
crafts:
  - type: STR_INTERCEPTOR
    battlescapeTerrainData:
      name: INTERC
      mapDataSets:
        - BLANKS
        - PLANE
      mapBlocks:
        - name: INTERC

So just let me check on this: The above should become this

- type: STR_XCF1
    battlescapeTerrainData:
      name: STR_XCF1
      mapDataSets:
        - BLANKS
        - PLANE
      mapBlocks:
        - name: STR_XCF1

Well I tried the above and it was saying that it couldn't find "MAPS/STR_XCF1.MAP" and then couldn't find "ROUTES/STR_XCF1.RMP" so my only thought was to copy the original "PLANE.MAP" and "PLANE.RMP" from the maps and routes folders renaming the copies "STR_XCF1.MAP" and "STR_XCF1.RMP"
This did let me start the mission ok but it doesn't look right, see screen shots. I've returned everything to the way it was until I'm clearer on what's happening. Basically my reason for doing all this was to have fast craft that get troops/hwp's there in time as it might be a while until I'm able to build a lightning or Avenger. The skywarden is much faster than a skyranger but to actually catch landed ufo's in time u need a ship that's faster than the ufo's sometimes. At least landed ufo's give u a much better chance of getting some elerium rather than the 1 in 4 chance per power source from crashes.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 28, 2015, 08:42:24 pm »
No, no, keep it exactly the original way. INTERC refers to INTERC.MAP, a file which is provided by Openxcom and represents the landed interceptor from 'Xcomutil fighter transporter'.

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 28, 2015, 09:01:38 pm »
Yep that had done the trick, many thanks for all your assistance. Perhaps XOPs will design a map and route particulary for these 3 fighters.