Author Topic: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations v0.98  (Read 233558 times)

Offline Ajaxial

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [BETA][WIP][BUNCHOFSTUFF] Xeno Operations Mod
« Reply #120 on: December 09, 2014, 01:57:50 pm »
Excellent. I truly appreciate your work on this and ammendments. :)

As a sidenote. I can just throw these into the current build I'm using and still use the savegame I'm running at the moment? Or would I need to start a new game.

I've noticed that a lot of the Rulesets reread on load. So I assume to a degree that they can be compatible with a current game.

Regardless I shall give both methods a go.

Again. Thank you. It's appreciated. :)

EDIT: I stuck them in and loaded my save and it works flawless.

I now have all the correct text rather than just a data string entry.

Excellent! :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 02:04:18 pm by Ajaxial »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2015, 05:07:30 pm »
XOps, this is an amazing piece of work overall!

I stumbled upon it while looking for new weapon sprites to use in a project I'm developing and you've got a ton of nice ideas implemented that I was already considering for my project. I hope you don't mind me using them.

I've got one suggestion for this mod - Redo the Heavy Cannon, Auto Cannon and Rocket Launcher to fit with the rest of the XCom weapons. On the original game each weapon has its own art style, but in your mod each weapon tier has its unique style. I'm planning to stick to the original weapons, so I'm picking sprites for the new weapons from different sources (and also because it helps to visually distinguish between the weapons). But I will use one one of your weaponsets by assigning it to a new faction because they simply look too cool and distinctive.

And I'm occasionally getting some weird crashes when only using your mod, so something might not be right. If I can figure out the bug, I'll let you know.

Offline Phiphler

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2015, 06:16:37 pm »
I installed this mod on Arch Linux, running the latest Git build of Openxcom.

I get a segfault (SIGSEGV) when I start my first terror mission, just after the autosave. I have succesfully shot down and recovered a few UFOs.

I also had a few issues with incorrectly named assets when I first launched the game after installing the mod, but I just changed the names of the assets (a few .gif files).

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2015, 06:43:28 pm »
I installed this mod on Arch Linux, running the latest Git build of Openxcom.

I get a segfault (SIGSEGV) when I start my first terror mission, just after the autosave. I have succesfully shot down and recovered a few UFOs.

There is an issue with Terror Missions and recent nightlies with some mods.  You might try reverting to an earlier nightly.
See this thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2027.msg37274.html#msg37274

Cheers, Ivan :D

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2015, 08:52:41 pm »
There is an issue with Terror Missions and recent nightlies with some mods.  You might try reverting to an earlier nightly.
See this thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2027.msg37274.html#msg37274

Cheers, Ivan :D

If you are using the Terrain Pack then you'll need to download the latest version, which is compatible with the latest nightly and fixes the issues with the terror sites.

Offline volutar

• Colonel
  • Vanilla digger & Quality assistant
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 15, 2015, 08:56:39 pm »
Instead of pointing people to use obsolete oxc builds, better to get mods updated. Or else. :o It's very bad practice to drag engine back because of outdated mods. Instead of proper testing we are getting number of bug reports with obsolete info. And as result we are almost ticking over without proper forward direction.
If author doesn't have time, mark this mod as "outdated". And gray it out. Mods shouldn't distract project from evolving.
I hate when someone starting "new" LP on a YouTube using OLD OpenXcom1.0.

Sorry.  :-[

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 15, 2015, 09:08:07 pm »
I imagine that the random user opening openxcom.org, will look for the "stable release" as seemingly indicated by the website, AKA 1.0.
Maybe then v1.0 should be obsoleted itself?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 09:11:18 pm by robin »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #127 on: January 15, 2015, 09:14:36 pm »

I hate when someone starting "new" LP on a YouTube using OLD OpenXcom1.0.

Sorry.  :-[

I guess that is the hazard of releasing "milestones."  Users (and LPers (guilty as charged, here)) test out a milestone before they will test out a nightly.  The sense is that a Milestone is stable and fairly bug free.  Modders chose to use milestones for the same purpose rather than trying to chase a moving target. 

I understand that the overall OpenXcom development cycle is not complete.  I understand that incorporating TftD into the mix is changing a lot of how the game is set up.  I understand why nightlies are what they are, and these are great!

But one of the beauties of OpenXcom from a player's perspective is how moddable and expansive it is.  It is so much easier to access the externalized values that it just begs to be modded.  Many of the mod greatly enhance the player's experience. 

I think that players having the capability to play OpenXcom modded or unmodded while the development cycle is still underway, keeps the interest and excitement up for the overall project.  And I think that's a good thing. ;)  (Just maybe a bit frustrating for the developers).

Offline Phiphler

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2015, 09:44:33 pm »
Reverting to an earlier nightly is difficult for me, as there are only nightlies for the Windows version of OXC.
I built OXC from source from the developers repository instead.

I used to have shotgun and medikithandob, but I removed them before I installed XenOps. Is XenOps based on any other mods that I can update? Are there any known options I can change to improve stability in the current nightly?

Offline volutar

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 15, 2015, 10:46:00 pm »
See, ivandogovich? This poor fellow can use old version. He's compiling coz he's on the X. Every mod maker should chase moving target, or alternatively - always stay on outdated grey area. I think modsite should use that kind of categories - actual/outdated. Frankly pretty rare builds are affecting mods not back-compatible way, warboy cares that. But that doesn't mean that modmakers shouldn't check and update their mods! New version often has even more modding features. Let us take mapgen scripting. It allows for really diverse maps to be created. Ask Hobbes or robin. They stop using 1.0 long ago.

And another thing. Every modded or lper who's using 1.0 doesn't really help project to become better. At the best they simply advertising.

I'm just asking you, people to stop using 1.0 version. And stop using mods which aren't working with current version. It's the only way to move WITH the project. Not behind.

Sorry for offtoping.

Isn't xeno oper mod compatible with the nightly?

Offline SIMON BAILIE

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 15, 2015, 11:07:22 pm »
Really lovely mod, I just updated my current game fr Xeno Ops v0.80 to v0.90 and was wondering about the uav's. Is it possible for them to have a 2nd weapon like a smoke launcher as I feel they're a bit vulnerable scouting about on their own. Like u can have them scouting along with a troop who'll drop a smoke grenade for cover but does this not defeat the whole purpose of them scouting?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 15, 2015, 11:14:20 pm »
Isn't xeno oper mod compatible with the nightly?

I just found a game-crashing bug using the latest nightly related to the Hybrids. When it's a Hybrid's turn to more the game will crash.

If you're playing the nightly with this mod stay out of tactical missions that involve Armored Sectoids and their Hybrid terrorist units.

EDIT: Muton Warlords also cause it to crash.

EDIT2: This appears to be an OXC bug since I just got it while playing a mission without any mods enabled.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:41:18 pm by Hobbes »

Offline volutar

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2015, 12:42:05 am »
Hobbes, alright. Then there should be sort of a report and save file is appreciated. Game crashing bugs are the first priority ones (unless they are caused by mod misusing rulesets and as you said - it's not the issue).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 01:06:36 am by volutar »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2015, 01:00:24 am »
@Volutar:  I felt bad threadjacking here, so I moved the discussion to: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,3273.msg37449.html#msg37449
Cheers!

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2015, 01:38:17 am »
Hobbes, alright. Then there should be sort of a report and save file is appreciated. Game crashing bugs are the first priority ones (unless they are caused by mod misusing rulesets and as you said - it's not the issue).

Didn't consider reporting it since it seems to happen on every tactical mission, so I thought developers will notice it quickly. But if it isn't fixed quickly, I'll sure file a report since it is messing with my mod testing.

In any case, this mod looks to me fine at the moment, otherwise it's a question of asking XOps to update it when a new nightly breaks it.