aliens

Author Topic: Hostile gangs and civilians  (Read 67157 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Hostile gangs and civilians
« on: September 11, 2011, 06:27:36 am »
Hello,
 I was just thinking it would be nice is there where also Enemy Humans to fight .  They could be of countries that have sided with the aliens or even major Gangs like in Apocalypse. They could have bases on earth like the aliens do, have alien enhanced versions of human weapons as well as Raid our bases just like the aliens do. This also opens up more chances for revenue , weapons and research for interested players. You could even have these factions lead ( on earth) by human/sectoid hybrids ( to keep with the x-com theme ).

Also i think Civilians on the game should do more than just walk around opening doors and becoming targets  for aliens. If we are there to save them from being slayed or made into Zombies we should be able to issue them simply orders like "Follow me" and "Stay". Also some should have pistols and such even if they only shoot x-com agents as there freaking out. Lets face it , if the aliens attacked a country like the USA someone must  be a Gun nut :)

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 07:15:15 am by luke83 »

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Some thoughts for after version 1.0
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:20:55 pm »
For the first idea, you'll need to see the difference between your soldiers and enemy humans somehow. Also it will be a rather challenging mod to implement, if you look at it from a developers perspective.
The second one is a bit easier, but there is an issue with the civilian sprites, because they can not carry a weapon in an elegant way :) It would just "stick" to their body.

Also you say "after version 1.0" , but OpenXcom after 1.0 will always stay vanilla: a base for mods people develop in their own repository. You can not really say this is a minor enhancement to the game you can easely switch on/off ;) This would be more fit for the chocolate or the stracciatella mod :p

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 02:16:39 pm »
I like chocolate :)

"AFTER VERSION 1.0 " i simply meant i didn't want to side track all your hard work :)

As for differences between my solders and the others , i was under the impression that there was a way to export the graphics for x-com agents out of the game to modify them. My thinking was build a few different types of humans uniforms and implement them as x-com agents, gangs, civilians etc, Unfortunately  i haven't downloaded the correct tool for the job yet?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 03:21:06 pm »
PCKviev its can open and change orginal graphic of Ufo.
if you want made some minor changes to graphic in Xcom (eg switch colors) its possible in game but need some coding.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 01:52:32 pm »
PCKviev seams to work

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 02:06:55 pm »
the guys with the red shirts certainly look dangerous :)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 02:13:49 pm »
Was thinking of a red coat GANG as the aliens righthand on earth   :D  I want to extrend the jackets to looks like a "MATRIX" style jacket but without sleves ( to show of there muscles ) just a thought :)
As you can tell im only about 1/4 the way through the images
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 02:15:21 pm by luke83 »

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 04:21:45 pm »
Could make for nice gametype differences:
Red Coat Gang has two possible objectives to blow up with an exp-pack randomly given to a certain unit. XCom has to defend and make sure they don't blow up either of these objectives within 15 turns.
You can also have maps with hostages(civilians) to rescue...
(And each round you can buy yourself a certain set of equipment depending on the amount of money you won the previous round. :p)

Hmm, I've seen that idea somewhere before :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:23:33 pm by Daiky »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:23:08 pm »
"And each round you can buy yourself a certain set of equipment depending on the amount of money you won the previous round. :p"

X-com Counter strike , i like it  ;D

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 02:53:28 pm »
wOULD lOVE SOME FEEDBACK , Do these RED shirts just look wrong ?

Should i :

A: Leave them
B: Make them darker
C: give them no shirts
D: Other (  Add your thoughts )

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 03:26:02 am »
Daiky ,
 I have been thinking about what you said about point 1so i have a follow up question. How hard would it be to make Base attack missions 2 parts?  One above ground with Human guards and the other the standard  underground base attack.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 01:21:54 pm »
Hi luke83 - I can't really tell yet, as currently 2 part missions are not implemented.
But most probably the mission type definitions at some point will be define in the ruleset - so making a base attack mission a 2 parts mission is just a matter of editing the ruleset without any additional coding required. Or even create 3 part missions if you want.

I talked to SupSuper about TFTD for openxcom - and his idea is also : at some point to have OpenXCom so flexible that TFTD is just another ruleset applied to the same game. This means that neither anything related to the XCOM1 missions types nor related to TFTD missions types should be hardcoded in the game.
In the same way it should be possible for you to add for example a third expansion to the x-com series with your own ruleset, graphics, maps, whatever you want. But maybe I'm just dreaming out loud here ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 01:30:16 pm by Daiky »

Offline DiceMaster

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 07:53:29 pm »
TFTD was my favorite part of X Com series. Implementing it on OpenXcom engine is a great idea. This will allow to get rid of many flaws and bugs TFTD has. Hope to see it in some future.

Offline AlienRape

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 02:35:46 pm »
I've always wandered what the Xcom gameplay would be like with the following:
a) Claymore type of device (small circular blast-range. triggered by movement on that tile)
b) Sentry-Gun with a linear  but narrow,  firing arc (triggered by movement in a 'row' of tiles, perhaps 10 tiles long?). Does not sweep (would make the game too easy). Perfect for corridors.  ;D

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 05:02:07 pm »
"small circular blast-range. triggered by movement on that tile" - isn't that what the proximity grenade does?