Author Topic: [WIP] Up Close and Personal Mod Pack  (Read 11023 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
[WIP] Up Close and Personal Mod Pack
« on: August 01, 2014, 11:50:44 pm »
Edit:  The latest and greatest on this modpack is now in "complete mods" here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2789.0  ;)

I'm starting this thread as a place to work on the various elements of my planned "Up Close and Personal" Mod Pack.

The basic premise of this pack it that long range weapons are not allowed.  No Rifles, Sniper Rifles, Rockets, Blaster Launchers etc.

What are allowed is:
- Pistols
- Grenades/Explosives
- Melee

I've gleaned some great mods from the community and am developing some of my own.

New Mods:
- Dart Pistol  (Stun damage in a pistol :) - Requires Research) (Images Here)

- Flashbang Grenade  (A stun grenade to complement those made by converting stun bombs from the launchers. - Requires Research) (Images here)

- Blaster Pack  (An IED made from 1 Blaster Bomb and 1 HE Pack.  Packs a nice punch.  8) )

- Zapper  (An improved/smaller Stun Rod. - Requires Research)

Existing Mods:
- Scout Drone
- Tazer
- Fusion Torch
- Combat Knife
- Stunbomb Grenade

I do plan to get some graphics up for these mods... I'll need to do some more game progression to get them rolling though. ;)

Cheers, Ivan :D

Edit: updated BlasterPack to include manufacturing dependencies. (V03)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 05:25:52 am by ivandogovich »

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [WIP] Up Close and Personal Mod Pack
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 04:56:40 am »
Ivan: Very good concepts! I specially like the BlasterPack IED! ...Wouldn't it be nice to add one blaster bomb (may be a captured one, or also a base manufactured one) a required item to make one Blaster pack? This way, you can give those aliens their precious blaster projectiles back with some nice addition! :-) Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:03:24 am by guille1434 »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 05:11:21 am »
Ivan: Very good concepts! I specially like the BlasterPack IED! ...Wouldn't it be nice to add one blaster bomb (may be a captured one, or also a base manufactured one) a required item to make one Blaster pack? This way, you can give those aliens their precious blaster projectiles back with some nice addition! :-) Keep up the good work!

Hehe..  yep, that's definitely the plan.  Each blaster pack requires one Blaster Bomb and one High Explosive Pack to manufacture. ;)

Offline guille1434

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 05:35:29 am »
Well done! I like your ideas! Thanks for sharing!

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 06:31:25 am »
I like! If you ever need graphics, I can help you out.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 05:28:23 pm »
I like! If you ever need graphics, I can help you out.
Thanks a ton for the offer.... :D

Interested in some Ufopedia Graphics?  I wanted to get a graphic in the Flashbang for the Sectoid Medic and the Floater Medic.  The default graphics are UPO24.SPK and UP018.SPK.   

I don't have any clear ideas for how it should look.... Even just "Sectoid Medic" above the image would be more distinctive... but it could be something else too...  they could be holding/wearing some equipment that makes them look like a medic.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
[WIP] Up Close and Personal Mod Pack: Zapper Graphics
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 08:46:38 am »
I finally got around to testing the Zapper Graphics. They look pretty nice for a cut down stun stick. :)

More in the Spoiler below:

Spoiler:

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
[WIP] Up Close and Personal Mod Pack: Blaster Pack Graphics
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2014, 08:59:50 am »
Also: Here are some Blaster Pack Graphics.

Spoiler:

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 03:14:54 am »
The Mod Pack is now compiled and posted in Completed Mod packs, here:  https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2789.0

Thanks for all the help on this.  This is a great community for modders and creativity! :D

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 11:50:15 am »
Nice zapper and blasterpack, I'll include them right away to my personal mod "soup"  ;D

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 02:51:58 pm »
Yeah, I can't wait to test out the Blaster Pack in my Let's Play. ;)  I'm pretty sure the Prime to "0" setting should be disabled on this joker, because I don't think that anyone can throw it far enough to survive it going off in the same turn. :D

I've been a bit tempted to include your "Naymore" in my series too. :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 06:49:17 pm »
If you don't use the instant explosion, you could throw and then RUUuun!! As you have it though, it is indeed pretty dangerous.

A side note, if you are interested in changing it up a bit. The Terrain&Missions pack + YetMoreUFOs make tactical battles a whole new experience. Add the alien remix (Ethereals + Chryssalids in my last terror!) and the 4 modded races (gazer, mechtoid, waspite, anthropod), then it really feels like XCom2: Alien Madness. Gazers would be really hard with only pistols and stun rods though.. I guess you've got lots of grenades, that always works :D

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2014, 07:30:56 pm »
Heheh,... Yeah, I haven't tried any of the new map packs yet.  The truth is, I've played so little UFO Defense that I hadn't gotten tired of them yet. XD  (Way more time in Terror from the Deep) ;)

However, I have to say that the farmlands are definitely becoming repetitive.  I don't know if those are changed up much, but I think that the value there would be awesome.  Add a farmhouse, or even other rural terrain, with maybe some blocks of forests, small hills, etc. 

The new terror sites, seem pretty devious though, and I'm a bit nervous about trying them out.  The ones I've seen in Meridian's series seem pretty cool, though.

I like the idea of YetMoreUFOs.  :) I've been enjoying Luke's but this pack seems even better. :)

I'm not too anxious to take on new races yet.  I think there is enough challenge as is, with the current set up. ;)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2014, 07:56:47 pm »
Hum.. Seems like I confused this post with your LP one. Sorry for side tracking. I was just thinking that a LP would be the perfect place to feature the new (often stunning) visuals, especially punctuated by some "Holy Cats!" ;) And yours is my favourite.

Back to your mod:
Have you played around with the zapper much? Is 80 enough damage in mid/end-game? I've had a gazer resist 5 stunrod hits last night (finally went down after two more stun bombs!) and those can't miss. So I was thinking about improved melee weapons, then remembered your zapper. Making it 1x2 is already much more convenient too, of course. Or maybe I should look at the Elerium mace.

And regarding the Flash Bang, what do you think of its interplay with Stun Bombs and the derived Stun Grenade?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 08:37:40 pm »
I haven't been able to do any real endgame testing. :|  I'm really curious as to how that will go.

I've used the zapper a bit, and it seems to work pretty well.  I like the smaller size fitting on the belt.  I don't have enough for everyone right now, as the requirement for alloys and engineer time required to crank them out.  I do plan to use them to completely replace the stunrod with them. 

... That said, High armored opponents may be very tough, with their damage reduction.  Expect mayhem and chaos. ;) 

Also the current melee mechanics may make using these and Elerium maces more problematic, as the chance to hit can be alot lower in certain circumstances (as with the combat knife).  Not quite sure if this impacts the zapper or not.  We'll see.

Stun Bombs.  As I'm not playing with launchers, (Big gun taboo ;) ) I can't use the standard endgame stunner.  I like the mod that allows converting the bombs to grenades, and I have that going in my series / mod too.   I've been acquiring a small stockpile of these but due to the previously discussed manufacturing bottleneck, I haven't converted any.  The flashbang relies on a live medic, and in the absence of capturing this HVT (luck/skill on terror missions early) the stunbomb grenade makes a useful tool for getting some of these HVTs.   

I imagine that the Flashbang actually outclasses the stunbomb grenade, once you have it.   The flashbang is stronger (75 vs 70) and the improved flashbang is an end game tool, that will hopefully make victory achievable. ;)