Author Topic: [Crafts][Weapons] XCom Armoury Expanded - v1.03  (Read 112593 times)

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Crafts][Weapons] XCom Armoury Expanded - v1.02
« Reply #105 on: October 31, 2014, 07:07:44 pm »
I found a few things regarding hovertanks.  I haven't updated yet so this is still for v1.01:

- The vanilla Hovertank/Plasma and Hovertank/Launcher still appear after finishing the Firestorm research topic.  So after researching the Hovertanks topic, there are two Hovertank/Launchers in the manufacture list.
- On that note, there seems to be no way to assemble a Hovertank/Plasma.
- Hovertank/Elerium Laser has no UFOpaedia text.  Or rather, it does but the text says "STR_HOVERTANK_ELASER_UFOPEDIA".

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 31, 2014, 07:13:10 pm »
Wait I almost forgot, I also noticed something else.  There seems to be no HWP Cannon and Rocket ammo, I can't buy or make any.  I thought it's because they now use the aircraft ammo since the tanks are assembled with aircraft weapons, but the UFOpaedia entries still refer to the HWP ammo so I'm not sure.  Doesn't help that I don't actually use Cannon and Rocket tanks.

Also, the Lab Ship UFO has no UFOpaedia entry?  Actually, I'm not sure about that one; might just be a mod conflict.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2014, 02:55:38 am »
Thanks again for the feedback!

Good point about the old hovertanks, I indeed forgot to remove the old manufactoring projects. I just looked at the plasma hovertank, I made a mistake with its prerequisites, thinking the research project was the plasma beam (since that's what the item is called) but it is actually a plasma cannon... Will fix all of this in the next version.

The missing Elerium Laser Hovertank UFOPaedia text has been added as of 1.02.

Regarding ammo, everything should be together, right above the Tank Hull in the purchase list. (See screenshot below) The tanks do use their own ammo. Maybe I should move the tank hulls to the very top, so that the ammo now sits at the bottom. Ie change from:

Tanks
Ammo
Tank hulls/corpses

to

Tank hulls/corpses
Tanks
Ammo

It would make it more visible in the purchase list I guess. Also note that the ammo does not show up in the "New Battle" items list, since they are not items that you put on a craft.

The XCom Armoury Expanded does not add or change any content for aliens, so it has nothing to do with lab ships UFOs. Where did you get that one from?

Offline lordkrike

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2014, 11:34:22 pm »
Just to say, Arthanor, I really appreciate the work put in to this.

I know maintaining stuff like this can be a chore.  Thanks for your hard work!

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2014, 01:53:35 am »
Oh, the HWP ammo is there after all.  How did I not notice that?

So I agree, the ammo should be listed below the tank hull instead of above it.

The XCom Armoury Expanded does not add or change any content for aliens, so it has nothing to do with lab ships UFOs. Where did you get that one from?

Oh wait, you're right; the Lab Ship is actually from the Expanded Alien Armory mod.  I'm getting my Expanded Armories confused :P

Must be some kind of conflict with the Raider Ship from Hobbes' Terrain Pack because neither have UFOpaedia entries even though by all rights they should have.  Oh well, it's just UFOpaedia entries anyway...
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 01:55:24 am by BBHood217 »

Offline Ascadix

• Captain
  • My English is as good as French schools ... :-p
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2014, 02:34:27 am »
Oops .... crashed :o

Hello,

I have a weird crash in my game at the time of completing a production for :"reproduction pod dis."

using XAE 1.02

It seems to me that the root cause is in the Research_and_Manufacture ruleset, in the STR_DIS_ALIEN_REPRODUCTION/producedItems:

I have solved my crash by changing : STR_ENERGY_CELLS: 1 for STR_ALIEN_ENERGY_CELLS: 1

this crash
Code: [Select]
manufacture:
  - name: STR_DIS_ALIEN_REPRODUCTION
    producedItems:
     STR_ENERGY_CELLS: 1
    listOrder: 4020

this pass
manufacture:
  - name: STR_DIS_ALIEN_REPRODUCTION
    producedItems:
      STR_ALIEN_ENERGY_CELLS: 1
    listOrder: 4020

but i haven't checked if there is other thing to change elsewhere

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2014, 03:26:34 am »
Speaking of Research and Manufacture, would it be too spoilery to ask for a tech tree?  For subsequent games using the XAE, I'd like to prioritize certain research (like l4z0rz) and as such knowing the prerequisites for them would be very helpful.

Also... are alien electronics and energy cells used for anything other than research?

Offline Ascadix

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2014, 04:03:24 am »
### TANK UNLOAD FROM CRAFT PB ###

Hello, for those who have pb unloading tank from modded transport craft, could you try with an old build, the openxcom_git_master_2014_10_12_1240

I have some pb with this, and I have open a thread here:
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=3072.0

I'm ok up to : openxcom_git_master_2014_10_12_1240
pb occurs from : openxcom_git_master_2014_10_13_0423

I have no build between those 2 to test deeper.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 04:13:33 am by Ascadix »

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2014, 05:00:10 am »
Turns out that I have a couple more questions.  Are the Raven and Sentinel crafts fueled with elerium?

And about the Lightning.  I noticed its fuel capacity has been bumped up to 1200.  That sounds like a lot of elerium... unless that's been changed?

Edit: I'm looking at the DE Gauss Cannon, and it seems to be barely an improvement over the regular Gauss Cannon.  The ammo needs elerium to be made, and for what?  Just 10 more damage, and nothing else...?  Also, I think the DE Gauss Cannon's UFOpaedia text got cut off a little.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 12:10:20 pm by BBHood217 »

Offline TaxxiDriver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2014, 01:46:26 pm »
Turns out that I have a couple more questions.  Are the Raven and Sentinel crafts fueled with elerium?

And about the Lightning.  I noticed its fuel capacity has been bumped up to 1200.  That sounds like a lot of elerium... unless that's been changed?

According to the ruleset, all of those ships seem to use normal fuel. I think Lightning also use normal fuel in this mod.

Well, I think there are some questions around here but could I ask you some technical questions, Arthanor? I tried to find out the relevant information but couldn't.

[1] In your XAE_Utility.rul file, some new items got bulletSprite number from around 13 to 17. I thought you have to define each Projectiles for each bulletSprite number i.e. 455 to 595 in the extraSprites column. But there is only one such declare:

- type: Projectiles
    height: 27
    width: 105
    subX: 3
    subY: 3
    files:
      385: Resources/XAE_Utility/ProjectileSprite.png

, which I thought it can only define bulletSprite 11. It would be really grateful if you can give me at least some clue how this works: even in UFO wiki and this forum I couldn't find more information.

[2] I was playing with your mods with a slight modification for practicing rulesets. I just made a new ruleset containing every standard weapons from your mod (shotgun, grenade launcher, taser etc). The problem was that shotgun and grenade launcher seem to have some problem. At first grenade launcher was OK, but after I've bought shotgun and used them together, their shooting animation became somewhat laggy and delayed (sound first, animation next). Sometimes it just works though somewhat delayed, but sometimes only sound works and with no hitting animation the game freezes. My speculation was that the code line in XCom_Armoury_Expanded.rul was conflicing with the code above

- type: Projectiles
    width: 57
    height: 3
    subX: 3
    subY: 3
    files:
      385: Resources/XCom_Armoury_Expanded/SniperRifle/BulletSprite.png

since both uses #385 (it wouldn't have caused problem in your mod since they come as a seperate ruleset). The problem is that even after I have changed the SniperRifle's bulletSprite number and Projectiles number to a different one (20, 700 each) still the problem remains. Funny thing is that my sniperrifle has no problem at all... I was wondering if this is a bug in your mod or there is something I've done wrong.

I attach my ruleset just in case. I ask you this additional question just in case it might be a bug. (The only thing other than combining rulesets was deleting codes about RPGs. Maybe that was the problem?)

[3] This is not a question, just a thought. Avenger takes 0 Elerium for consturction while Sentinel takes 150... I know that Sentinel is a very good fighter ship but still Avenger seems to be the best. Maybe because Avenger uses Elerium for fuel? Well, I can understand but the difference 150 seems to be quite large to me.

Other than these, I have to say I'm having a lot of fun with your mod plus of course other mods on it. Thanks!

[Edited: I currently use 10-24 nightly]

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 03:16:03 pm by TaxxiDriver »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2014, 05:40:37 pm »
@lordkrike: Thanks for the good word :) I am really glad to hear that you guys are using the mod and it's reaching beyond being my own little universe.

@BBHood217: The ammo is a bit hard to find, you're right. What I had originally intended was to have the tanks first, then ammo, then the hulls (since you would often not have many) but I agree the purchase list looks weird.

Actually, just re-enabling the purchase of pre-assembled basic tank like someone suggested before would fix that too. It would put some tanks above the ammo and allow me to keep the hulls last. Pre-assembled tanks will come at a premium though, since they're harder to ship and don't require assembly.

Regarding UFOs, it's funny that I never noticed even the name "Lab Ship". I have played with the AAE for as long as I have played OpenXCom.

@Ascadix: Good catch on the dismantling entry. There are so many things (and sometimes items change names too..). My apologies for the crash and thank you for figuring out the fix.

The tank issue is really annoying. It is interesting that you are finding a link with nightlies since I thought I had one too. v1.02 works for me with the most up to date nightly. Does it not work for you?

@BBHood217: I could look into making a tech tree. So many things are intertwined that it might take a while to get something that looks good though.

Alien Energy Cells and Electronics are purely research and extra money for now. I intend to eventually require them for armours, crafts and tanks, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

On crafts:
As described in its UFOPaedia entry, the raven uses a "Slow Burning prototype Elerium Engine" or some such, which means it requires Elerium for construction (ie activating the reactor) but not as a fuel item. The Lightning and Sentinel both also use that same engine.

The Firestorm and Avenger both use Elerium as fuel, and thus do not require it upon construction. The firestorm is the fastest interception craft available, and the Avenger is.. well the best at everything, except fuel economy.

This was done in an attempt to make every craft relevant. Sentinels are slow by design, otherwise they would overshadow the Firestorm, but to compensate their short range, they don't use Elerium as fuel.

The Raven becomes your mainstay interceptor (superseding the mostly human interceptor), which it would not if it required Elerium (then the Firestorm would always be better). The Firestorm still is more resilient and faster, however.

The lightning is usually a useless craft, but it fills the role of fast response team for small crafts and it can down it's small UFO by itself, making it quite useful. It never challenges the Avenger as the best fighter/transport though.

Overall, it gives a good variety in crafts (I use 6 different craft types in my endgames). As an example, in my games, I have most radar bases (4) with one raven as the best non-Elerium interceptor. They take out scouts and fighters. I also have two thunderstorms based at the poles with alloy cannons. I them use to take out small scouts (Mind Probe = $300k, I don't want to just destroy that).

I then have 2 sentinels, at opposite points of the globe, which are "hemispheric tanks". When something big shows up, the local sentinel gets out and will be leading the interception squadron. If you send multiple planes to engage an UFO, the first one to reach the UFO's maximum firing range will be shot at and the Sentinel can take it better than any other crafts (bar the avenger, but I need that one to carry its troops, not spend weeks in repairs). It will usually be supported by all available Ravens from the region to make the fight 4vs1.

In two other bases are my hemispheric fast response Firestorms. They are dispatched when I need to take out something NOW, or when Raven support is insufficient to take something out. Sometimes, if I know the Sentinels won't make it in time, they will fill the tank role as well.

Lastly, I have two bases with transports, one Skyguardian/Avenger with my "elite squad", one Skywarden/Lightning with my "rookie squad" which is getting training by recovering scouts from “easy” races (ie not gazers, mutons or ethereals).

Regarding the Gauss cannons craft weapons, I have to confess that I have not really looked into them. They are supposed to be short range high dps weapons like the starting cannon and the alloy cannon. Honestly, most of my crafts get Elerium Laser Cannons, which points towards some balance issues that I have not addressed yet. The Gauss cannons are mostly there because it would not make sense for them not to be, but they are a bit of a placeholder.

I have a list of craft cannons and damage (missiles are balanced independently) where the entry is “damage * accuracy / firing time, which gives you a DPS number, followed by the range:

- Cannon: 10*.2/2 = 1 @ 12
- Alloy: 14*.3/2 = 2.1 @ 12
- Laser: 65*.4/8 = 3.25 @ 21
- Elerium laser: 90*.4/10 = 3.6 @ 25
- Gauss: 80*.5/10 = 4 @ 14
- Elerium Gauss: 90*.5/10 = 4.5 @ 18 (40 shots/Elerium)
- Plasma: 110*.5/12 = 4.58 @ 48 (10 shots/Elerium)

So as it is, you gain .5 dps (almost reaching the damage of a plasma cannon) and a fair bit of range. It might be better than the Elerium Laser, although it does cost Elerium (but not much). The plasma cannon stats are taken from Moriarty's Plasma Cannon mod, which I use instead of the vanilla one.

Regarding bullet sprites (technical Qs 1-2), the number that are not defined are probably vanilla bullet sprites, so you don't need to redefine them. It's a bit weird the way it works: what you write in the item entry is 1/35 of the index you use in extraSprites. I have no idea why it would be slow. Also, all mods are indexed independently so it does not matter if you repeat an index (I often use 385 as a projectile index), as long as you don't overwrite a vanilla sprite.

3: The Avenger and Firestorm both use Elerium as fuel, so they do not require it to be constructed. The Raven/Sentinel/Lightning use the “Slow burning Elerium Engine” which you need to fill up once and then lasts forever, so they need Elerium to be constructed.

That's it, I think? If I missed something feel free to ask again. And once more, thank you for all the feedback and interest.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2014, 07:56:59 am »
Wait, the DE Gauss Cannon's range is supposed to be 18?  Because it still says 14 in my game, same as the normal Gauss Cannon.

Offline TaxxiDriver

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 03, 2014, 02:57:56 pm »
I kinda solved my problem. I noticed that only buckshot ammo had the problem so just assigned bulletSprite 14 to that ammo and it doesn't freeze anymore  :D I think the laggy part is maybe due to my playing OpenXCOM with laptop. Anyway thanks for the information.

Today I was able to capture sectoid navigators and engineers in January, and even two of each! Just put the tank in front of the UFO and wait until they come out and use stunrods :D Well, this works only in TFTD damage formula mod since if not heavy plasma can quite easily even one-shot kill the tank...

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2014, 04:24:52 pm »
@BBHood217: Oh, well, another thing to fix for v1.03 ;)

@TaxxiDriver: The buckshot ammo for the grenade launcher is a rough one to use. I am on a crappy laptop too and I just don't use it. It is a 20 projectiles, long range shotgun, basically. Instead of calculating one trajectory to the impact point and then sending the flechettes in all directions from there, it is actually calculating 20 trajectories, then running 20 individual hit animations all at the same time.

I have been able to use it at very short ranges alright, but if I do a long range shot my computer just freezes. I think the explosive ammo works just as well for most purposes any ways, and doesn't crash computers. It surprises me that changing bulletsprites for it makes an improvement, as bullets are not shown for shotgun shots any ways. I might try it too, thanks for the suggestion!

Offline Ascadix

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2014, 09:58:44 pm »
Hello,

For the tank unload pb, it's ok with xae 1.02 and the last nightly.

I have still the pb, but it's with the SkyTrooper, not an XAE craft.