Author Topic: Maps and city scapes  (Read 35590 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: Maps and city scapes
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2012, 04:58:29 am »
Thanks Daiky i will give that a try tonight. I assumed that since i found another map this size that i could simply change this farm one to suit also. From what i found last night most squares are either 10x10 10x20 or 20x20 so i thought i would use the biggest one 8)
 The other part of my test was to mix and match different objects together to see if they worked, Thus my farm had city stuff in it. Im still trying to find how to use Mapview to its full potential. For example does anyone know if its possible to create new block ( is this the correct term for a separate map set)? Currently the farm list 1-18, it would be great if i could simply add some more BLANK ones and just keep making them as currently i made a backup of the originals then proceeded to destroy the originals with my TESTS .

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2012, 05:29:02 am »
bumber i just did a quick test on a same size farm building - i added a stove and a  kitchen bench to the room but ended up in game with a door that does not work and half a staircase  :(

Is this because your not finished or because the game was never meant to be used this way? It showed up correctly in the MAPVIEW but in game is wrong.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 05:30:58 am by luke83 »

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2012, 09:22:08 pm »
Yep, same issue. It's in the rulesets defined which tilesets to load... I could provide you with an openxcom version with externalized rulesets, but that would not be fair, me taking away SupSuper's work :p

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2012, 12:11:51 am »
Those pesky Rulesets again, looks like i need to sit on my hands again at least for now. ::)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2012, 11:26:58 am »
You can always make new maps, you just have to be patient to actually use them in game. Or change maps with slight variations, without changing tilesets or dimensions.
Be careful that maps always must come with their proper waypoint data (.RMP files).

Fun fact: did you know they had a tileset in mind which was never released? It was called "shack", which would probably be used in combination with "forest", like "barn" is used in combination with "farm". I found a reference to a "shack" tileset in the beta exe.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2012, 02:00:01 pm »
Got a error in Mapview when i try to add new maps from AREA51's Urban Maps . It works if i rename the file to a original Maps name but when there numbered as per Area51 site i get this error in Map_View. Does this mean anything to anyone ?

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2012, 12:18:47 pm »
Ok been building my own little army base for a new mission type out of existing images ( just mixing and matching as my understanding was When OpenX is complete we will be able to specify what map blocks are in use) . Created a Barracks for the men to sleep, Saved the file but re-opened it and all my double bunks ( from X-com BAES BLOCKS) had switched to something broken and some Meat on shelves ( i think that is what it is). I hoping someone knows IS this just a graphical error in Mapview OR is something confused because i have added 2 items that should never mix?

Does anyone know Where Dashiva Hangs online as i would love to here from Him ::)

Offline DaiShiva

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2012, 08:40:15 am »
Looks good, nicely done =)

Offline snozy

• Squaddie
  • Mutons everywhere!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2012, 10:08:35 am »
Wow, so I can make my own unique maps and put them in XCOM?? Is it easy to make them? I have no experience in coding, I would just like to drag and drop tiles, etc,! Im so excited now! Im still playing XCOM so I think its time to make new maps!

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2012, 11:38:58 am »
Once i get the kids to Bed , i will give you some advice , whilst you wait check out my mod site :)

https://openxcommods.weebly.com/

Offline snozy

• Squaddie
  • Mutons everywhere!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2012, 01:33:40 pm »
Wow, your mods are looking great! Your "Terror Site replacement ( Openxcom version of xcom1)" looks finished so I'll try that one. This is exciting, thanks Luke!

Can I use these with X-COM CE? I'm using the UFOExtender too. I haven't used the OpenXcom files yet ^_^ and I have questions about that too, but i'll ask later. Also I need help on where to put your files to make them work for my current game save.

Thanks Luke, you made my day!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:40:19 pm by snozy »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2012, 01:42:30 pm »
I don't think they will work on the the original game as there are software limitations preventing the amount of New items i have added into the game. The Upside to openxcom is flexibility for modders , the downside is its still in development.

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2012, 01:51:25 pm »
Guys, you know OpenXcom have wiki? https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=OpenXcom

It would be great if you could fill some information about modding maps ( if you will have time for that of course ; )

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2012, 04:01:57 pm »
I would write something up but my grammar is never correct so i would not want to add it to a WIKI :P

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2012, 04:42:06 pm »
I know its not in the wiki but i have made some note on my site, there not finished but they give a general overview if you have never modded anything before .
https://openxcommods.weebly.com/how-to.html