Author Topic: OpenXcom for Android - new official thread  (Read 308331 times)

Offline Lucami

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: OpenXcom for Android - new official thread
« Reply #150 on: August 21, 2015, 10:48:42 am »

No sooner than there's a 1.1/2.0/something milestone, I guess. Right now it's a "Kinda Nightly" :p

Which brings me to today's announcement: a new version is out! Mandatory pointy list:
  • Based on upstream 9ba220e;
  • Has minor interface tweaks;
  • And all the bugfixes you've been waiting for!

Much like any other time there's an update, you're advised to download it from the modsite (https://www.openxcom.com/mod/openxcom-android-nightly in case it's hard to find), and if it doesn't work for you, there's always my dropbox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/732324/OpenXcom-v1.0-g812f08e.apk.zip.
Hi I'm having some trouble, trying to install TFTD.
If I try to copy the folders manually nothing happens, and if I try to use the in app installer, when I select the location just a say that no game data could be found

I can play UFO perfectly fine I have a moto g 2014 with lollipop 5.1.1

Thanks in advance and for the great work with the port

Offline Lucami

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 21, 2015, 10:55:30 am »
Sorry for the double post can't remove it some logging verification error :-\
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:58:59 am by Lucami »

Offline sfalexrog

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 21, 2015, 11:57:48 am »
Hi I'm having some trouble, trying to install TFTD.

That's weird. Just for reference, installation instructions are like this:
  • Copy the contents of your TFTD installation from the PC to some folder on your Android (by the end of this step it should contain folders like GEOGRAPH, GEODATA, etc - the list of required folders should be in your openxcom/TFTD/Readme.text file)
  • Run the game and go to the "configure folders" screen
  • Push the "install from directory" button under the TFTD status label
  • Navigate to the folder you've made in step 1
  • Press OK

Note that the game data is copied, not moved, so you should ensure there's enough space on the device.

If all else fails, please send me a list of files that you have in your TFTD installation - there's a possibility that you have a version that I didn't account for, and that's why the installer barfs.

Hope this helps!

Offline begri

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 21, 2015, 12:58:27 pm »
When you will publish it on Google play?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Offline Lucami

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 21, 2015, 03:02:52 pm »

If all else fails, please send me a list of files that you have in your TFTD installation - there's a possibility that you have a version that I didn't account for, and that's why the installer barfs.

Hope this helps!
I think that's the problem, I have the same files on openxcom on my PC and I can play without any problem but in my phone the port don't recognize the files

Offline sfalexrog

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 21, 2015, 06:00:02 pm »
I think that's the problem, I have the same files on openxcom on my PC and I can play without any problem but in my phone the port don't recognize the files

Okay, there actually was a bug in my code which caused the checker to fail if you didn't have both ANIMS and FLOP_INT subfolders. Shame on me, I guess! A bugfix is now on the modsite and in my dropbox: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/732324/OpenXcom-v1.0-ga9a3a51.apk.zip

Offline Lucami

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 21, 2015, 07:26:19 pm »
Quote from: sfalexrog
Okay, there actually was a bug in my code
Thanks I try the steam version as you said and it runs perfectly with the previous apk

Also tested the new version but found another bug I guess

But at least I can play with the steam data thanks

Offline sfalexrog

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 21, 2015, 10:50:55 pm »
When you will publish it on Google play?

Unfortunately, my answer is "not soon". OpenXcom for Android is still not that easy to setup properly (even though I hope I'm making moves in the right direction), it requires original game data that can't be shipped with the game, and that's just asking for an endless stream of 1-star "how do play game" and "requires external data, what a ripoff!!11" reviews. And I'm not even mentioning some features that are still unavailable to mobile users, like force-fire and alternative movement modes!

If I'm ever publishing this port, I'll probably go for some other place like F-Droid. Even then, there's still plenty of things that have to be done before the project is "release-worthy".

niculinux

« Reply #158 on: August 21, 2015, 11:34:36 pm »
Ok, wille be fine to put the .apk on openxcom.com, download page, i guess then :)

Offline bubblebob

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 07, 2015, 12:13:23 pm »
Hi.

First a huge THANK YOU to sfalexrog! Even if it's beta your port works just wonderful on my smartphone. I hope you'll find your time to continue this project.
Now i have one question. I installed 1.0-g812f08e first. Later I installed the updated version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/732324/OpenXcom-v1.0-ga9a3a51.apk.zip
Although the installation went sucessfull, the loading and title screens still show the build number g812f08e. Went there something wrong?

Offline begri

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 18, 2015, 11:32:40 am »
When will come the next update? :)  ETA?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 24, 2015, 02:16:00 pm »
Just wanted to say I finally got an actually decent Android phone to try this (Galaxy S5 if you want to add it to your stats) and I was pleasantly surprised, installation was painless and it works like a charm, my complements to the chef. :)

Sometimes the game freezes when quitting or leaving the Options, but nothing problematic.

Offline nadir-1648

• Captain
  • Oh yes, this is going to be dreadful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 10, 2015, 12:50:39 pm »
Incidentally, I did a clean install of the version posted above and can't seen to get mods working. I've tried making a Mods/ folder and haven't gotten results.

Edit: I found the mods folder where I put the saved games ^^;
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:31:43 pm by Z. Nadir »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 10, 2015, 09:23:49 pm »
Just wanted to say I finally got an actually decent Android phone to try this (Galaxy S5 if you want to add it to your stats) and I was pleasantly surprised, installation was painless and it works like a charm, my complements to the chef. :)

Sometimes the game freezes when quitting or leaving the Options, but nothing problematic.

It fits well on an S5? I've been meaning to try but always assumed it would be so small as to not be worth it, so didn't bother.

Offline Syrion

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 17, 2015, 07:39:05 pm »
It actually fits very well! As the original resolution of the game is so low, the buttons are really nicely sized for use with a smartphone :D I've played through it once on my Xperia ZL (5" display, S5 has 5,1", so it's only slightly larger) and thought the touch controls fit the game like a glove!
It'd only be problematic if you intended to use higher resolution, as then the buttons are equally smaller, but I found that unsuitable on the phone. So, go for it, it's worth it :)