Author Topic: Maximum blastRadius?  (Read 16757 times)

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Maximum blastRadius?
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2014, 09:25:30 am »
i published cheat mods
if people want to suck the fun out of their game OR find huge craters with resistance funny then let them
but i think in default/vanilla there is no place for such an item
That's the thing, nobody's trying to put it in the vanilla game; I don't know how this conclusion keeps getting jumped to.

As an aside, someone here once mentioned the prospect of Xcom losing points for incurring excessive collateral damage; I think the mini nuke combined with that kind of scoring system would make for a really interesting dynamic. You can hit the panic button and blow up a city block, but there's going to be consequences.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:51:10 am by Gifty »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2014, 10:46:12 am »
in kind of the same vein: I would like (some of) the xcom craft (and UFOs, too!) to be able to use the craft weapons in the battlescape.

the lightning, for example, has a turret! there's really no reason it shouldn't be able to use a weapon mounted there in the battlescape. which could then be a real reason to use the lightning :) a stingray missile launched in the battlescape would probably be stronger than a blaster bomb, but of course it's arced-direct-fire only. a true artillery weapon.

of course, collateral damage reparations would be needed here, too :)

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2014, 11:12:21 am »
Why to bother? Just add "Win" button to battlescape, which automatically kills all aliens. And "Win" button in "alien craft detected" screen. Also make radar radius 6000. After 30 minutes of playing that game you simply will delete this game.
It's called "game raping". And totally destroys gameplay and game itself.
it's quite reasonable that developers don't want to make their game piece of shit. Even by third-party mods (i.e. ain't taking responsibility for this raping directly).

Well, I thought that OpenXcom is aimed to get rid from limitations and bugs of original. Is blastradius capped to 11 in original? No? So why it should capped in OXC? Yes? Then this should be removed, it's violation of my modder's rights!

Button "InstaWin" is not much fun as detonating of Tactical Nuclear Device. Imagine new type of terror mission - bomb defusing! New vista over horizons!

volutar

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 11:29:33 am »
Well, I thought that OpenXcom is aimed to get rid from limitations and bugs of original. Is blastradius capped to 11 in original? No?
Yes.
And OpenXcom is aimed to get rid of UNNECESSARY limitations. Explosion radius is necessary cap.
So why it should capped in OXC? Yes? Then this should be removed, it's violation of my modder's rights!
You have only those rights, which developers given you. You don't have a right to use explosion radius more than 11. It's out of modding area. It's "forking" area.

And stop renaming Ethereals into Skymen.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:31:58 am by volutar »

Offline civilian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 11:41:12 am »
+11 ftw!  ;D

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 11:53:44 am »
Explosion radius is necessary cap.

Who say that? Explosion radius is one of technical characteristics of engine. Is max damage of weapon capped?

And stop renaming Ethereals into Skymen.
Do you want talk about it? Why you think that I do that?

volutar

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 12:07:55 pm »
Who say that? Explosion radius is one of technical characteristics of engine. Is max damage of weapon capped?
MCD data is capped. As sight radius is capped. And sight radius is capped for the reason. Because everything in game should  consider AI, and AI is incapable to consider those ridiculous radiuses.

Do you want talk about it? Why you think that I do that?
YOu've put that INPROPER initial translation from dos version. Even xcom2012 doesn't screw localized version that way.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2014, 12:22:08 pm »
[10:39] <falko_> can somebdy explain why blastradius cap is "necessary" i could see it for the old xcom to minimize smoke/fire/ ramuse... but now?
[10:48] <@Warboy> the distance is a function of the power
[10:48] <@Warboy> if the power is below a certain threshold it will only spread a certain amount
[10:48] <@Warboy> the radius is a cap for the explosion itself
[10:49] <@Warboy> without it, the blaster launcher would be even bigger
[10:49] <@Warboy> and the alien grenade would be huge
[10:50] <@Warboy> power 20 will never reach 12 tiles, that's just silly
[10:50] <@Warboy> but uncapped, power 200 could reach a ridiculous distance
[10:50] <@Warboy> thus: cap

ah i got an explanation!
not sure how the 11 limit the range but it seems there is a reason for vanilla thats good enough for me

i played around and produced  this picture (exploding corpse with blastRadius: 100, power: 1000, arrow=explosioncenter) without changing any sourcecode/recompilation
that means someone still could create a "bomb defusing" mission 4 towers with one activated bomb for each layer (or replace bomb with bomb-alien that stands in fire/is wounded and cant move  = dead in X turns -> BOOM target: stun before death by fire - too bad i have no idea how to mod maps)

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 12:48:08 pm »
MCD data is capped. As sight radius is capped. And sight radius is capped for the reason. Because everything in game should  consider AI, and AI is incapable to consider those ridiculous radiuses.

Reason for who? You can't explain, you can only say "This has been in vanilla, it's sacred and forbidden area, don't touch it! Booo!" Original XCom has that limitation because of DOS' limited resources. You still play OpenXcom on DOS? Maybe you should switch back to original XCom?

YOu've put that INPROPER initial translation from dos version. Even xcom2012 doesn't screw localized version that way.

OMG, sorry for that! FYI, "INPROPER" initial translation has been imported from original translation directly by SupSuper. It's not my fault, that on GetLocalization site you can't upvote your translation.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2014, 12:56:19 pm »
gonna lock this as it seems to have gotten woefully off topic and descended into sectarian violence.

blast radii left to the internal formula are capped at 11, you can manually set it higher if you want, i take no responsibility for mods that unbalance the game.