aliens

Author Topic: Maximum blastRadius?  (Read 16760 times)

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Re: Maximum blastRadius?
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 09:33:26 pm »
Volutar could you kindly shut up, you're obviously missing the point, writing out of reflex without putting any effort into understanding what the other people are saying. Have a chocolate. Have a tea. Think things through before posting.

Offline Human Ktulu

• Colonel
  • Cuistre !
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 09:54:52 pm »
It's maybe interesting to use it with a "auto-destruction" mecanics with an number of game  turn limited for trigger, for more stress.

Offline Avalanche

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 10:07:43 pm »
It's maybe interesting to use it with a "auto-destruction" mecanics with an number of game  turn limited for trigger, for more stress.

If there's a set trigger time, that could have all sorts of uses. We could turn the situation on its head and give it to aliens as a terror weapon. You've got 5 turns to win the mission, otherwise the bomb goes off and wipes your squad, like in the remake.

Offline Murmur

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 10:34:23 pm »
Why to bother? Just add "Win" button to battlescape, which automatically kills all aliens. And "Win" button in "alien craft detected" screen. Also make radar radius 6000. After 30 minutes of playing that game you simply will delete this game.
It's called "game raping". And totally destroys gameplay and game itself.
it's quite reasonable that developers don't want to make their game piece of shit. Even by third-party mods (i.e. ain't taking responsibility for this raping directly).

Woah woah, man, I love this game, I don't want an automatic win button. Which this isn't anyways. I made the bomb cost so much money that it's impractical to use. It's a novelty item. Use it once, go "Heh neat", get a chuckle or two, then play the game normally. Besides, I'm not asking for something this stupidly powerful to be added to the game. No, I made this for my personal use, basically just to see if I could. I may use it in the future just for fun, set up a scenario in my head and act it out in the game. Like I said, I don't want a win button. I just wanted to see a huge explosion in the game. And I did. And I'm satisfied. However your point at the end is kind of invalid. Third party mods can totally "rape" the game anyways. You can make armor that is invulnerable to anything. Guns that are perfectly accurate and cost nearly nothing to fire. The list goes on and on and I can't see the devs locking those things down because someone can make a completely optional mod.

And to the person that asked me to upload it, it's a bit more complicated than that. I had to download the source, do a minor edit, and compile it myself. Without those steps the bomb's blast radius is that of a blaster bomb.

volutar

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 10:43:03 pm »
Volutar could you kindly shut up
Dream on. :P
you're obviously missing the point, writing out of reflex without putting any effort into understanding what the other people are saying. Have a chocolate. Have a tea. Think things through before posting.
What do I have to understand? This image:

- tells us - it's just some, you know, making fun or mockering over the game... It's not some worms armageddon, with holy grenades and pigeon or cow bombs.  You don't want to see your creature to be raped, or perversed, thus you're making a safety/sanity checks. That's from developer's point of view.
And I totally support these values clamp.
Because otherwise it will go too far from cautious game engine using.

What's the gameplay point of destroying 80% of battlezone with single strike? Blaster launcher was already out of reasonable balance, not saying about that. So from my point of view that looks unpleasant. I hope that won't be implemented in game, at least because all these destroyed ground tiles being "tiled" look too unnatural.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:45:33 pm by volutar »

Offline Murmur

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 11:17:37 pm »
Look, I wasn't making fun of and/or mocking the game when I made this... not at all. I made this just to see if I could. I wanted a little project for myself. So I looked into uncapping the blast radius. This was purely for my personal use and, like I said before, a novelty. This is not how I think the game should be played nor how I will play the game. It's been about 14 years I think since I discovered XCom, it's been my favorite and most returned to game ever since. I'd never want to ruin it for myself.

You are totally right about the damaged tiles looking ugly like that though. Obviously never intended, haha.

EDIT: Also, I have to wonder what the point is in clamping this, but not the other easily exploitable things mods can currently do... I am not by any means saying it shouldn't be this way or meaning any disrespect to the devs. I am simply curious, why can someone make a super over powered no fun weapon, but not have an explosive with a blast radius of 12?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 11:25:35 pm by Murmur »

Offline Ran

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 12:59:51 am »
Man, it's a game! ::)
It's supposed to be fun, so relax.
I understand that developers don't like to see their project altered in such ways, but on the other hand - isn't that the point of Open Source? Everyone can change everything, whether you like it or not.
I always was fond of realistic nukes in games. That way it would not be a 'win' but a 'lose' button. It just kills everything if you are stupid enough to use it - everything. :P
The nuke is just like my fusion torch - I made so you could cut windows in your Skyranger or completely disassemble your own otherwise indestructible craft.
I also was working on the RA-115 Soviet Suitcase Nuke a while ago, based on the Piratez briefcase but due to the radius limitation It never 'worked' as intended. It was supposed to be some super rare artifact you could recover and sell, but if you were dumb enough to  use it, well... 8)
See test mod attached, it's still lacking handobs and proper implementation but you can buy and 'use' it if you manage to remove the blast radius limit.

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 01:05:51 am »
it's capped, but don't you think a bomb that blows up the whole map is a bit unsporting?

Solution: Make a bigger autogen map?  :P

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 02:30:56 am »
Dream on. :PWhat do I have to understand?
- tells us - it's just some, you know, making fun or mockering over the game... It's not some worms armageddon, with holy grenades and pigeon or cow bombs.  You don't want to see your creature to be raped, or perversed, thus you're making a safety/sanity checks. That's from developer's point of view.
And I totally support these values clamp.
Because otherwise it will go too far from cautious game engine using.

Yeah, that's pretty sums up your line of thinking. Go work in the Microsoft man: they fully support the "take the power away from the user, lest they hurt someone" line. My line of thinking is this: if you don't want homing pigeons mod, DO NOT DOWNLOAD IT, DO NOT PLAY IT. Not hardcode it to be impossible to make because ohhh, sacrilege!
Do I want to commit such sacrilege? Hell yeah.
Do I want to make things the deveoper never even though of, let alone intended? Hell yeah.
Do I want to rape the game? Hell yeah.
Because I'm a modder.
You can sue me I guess. But you wouldn't have such great popularity of OpenXcom if it wasn't so wonderfully moddable.

Explaining why I would ever want a big bomb in Xcom is beside the point, since you wouldn't even listen - you're using the slippery slope argument to put an 'equals' sign between novelty items and concrete donkeys.

tldr, more moddability = good, forced limitations = bad. A limitation is only ever valid if it makes the code run smoother, modding tools easier to use and the game more stable.

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 02:44:04 am »
Or you could have a HWP whose weapon is this; for those missions when you're just doing "cleanup" of an area -- drive the HWP towards enemy, 'fire' the bomb; and then clean up the rubble ;D

volutar

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 02:48:10 am »
Dioxine, i'm not talking about you in next paragraph.
In older times young programmers, well, better to say "young computer users" were dreaming on being a programmer, or some creative person. But as far as they couldn't do anything, they just took splash screens, or some other "resources" and added there a line "Proudly present by Alyosha". And then boasted about that before their same-aged young friends. I just don't want this project to become a victim of such untalented people, who don't have any skills except for raping other's products. Let them at least have some programming skills. I really hate when monkey gets to store of grenades.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 05:03:12 am »
I really hate when monkey gets to store of grenades.
as long as they throw the grenades at them self i have no problem giving monkey access to grenades .. who cares about monkeys
..strange discussion

Offline Gifty

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 05:26:51 am »
Why is this idea getting so much flak? I'd love to try to set a tactical nuke in the middle of an alien battleship and then get out of dodge as quickly as possible.

Offline Murmur

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 05:32:28 am »
Why is this idea getting so much flak? I'd love to try to set a tactical nuke in the middle of an alien battleship and then get out of dodge as quickly as possible.

That is exactly the kind of thing I wanted to use this for... but I get the problems some people have with it. Others would just use it constantly to remove all challenge from the game. I don't personally have an issue with people doing that, but I get where the people that do are coming from.

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 06:53:29 am »
i published cheat mods
if people want to suck the fun out of their game OR find huge craters with resistance funny then let them
but i think in default/vanilla there is no place for such an item