Author Topic: [Request] Extra facilities for human base  (Read 68952 times)

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Request] Corridor for human base
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2014, 06:21:38 pm »

But I will create an Alien Containment per Alien Race...

Sectoid Autopsy -> Sectoid Containment available to produce
Mutton Autopsy -> Mutton Containment available to produce

An other idea could be:

One Alien Containment,
 but it could contains live alies of a specific race only after its race autopsy was complete

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2014, 02:27:35 pm »
An other idea could be:

One Alien Containment,
 but it could contains live alies of a specific race only after its race autopsy was complete

In my opinion, having separate facilities for each species is needlessly anal. And making it dependant on autopsy makes it even more anal.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2014, 09:25:23 pm »
In my opinion, having separate facilities for each species is needlessly anal. And making it dependant on autopsy makes it even more anal.
Right
But aim is only to make game more difficult. In this case, it is to force player to build many bases, as one base will not be enough to build all needed facilities (as reducing capacity of living quarters, labs, ...)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2014, 08:18:24 am »
Right
But aim is only to make game more difficult. In this case, it is to force player to build many bases, as one base will not be enough to build all needed facilities (as reducing capacity of living quarters, labs, ...)

What I wanted to say is that this idea is more tedious than difficult. Of course this is debatable, but I don't think it really adds much to the challenge, you just need to micro-manage more.

Offline Jstank

• Colonel
  • 100% Un-Professional XCOM Lets Player
    • View Profile
    • FINAL MOD PACK LP OUT SOON NOW RECRUITING! SIGN UP TODAY!
Re: [Request] Extra facilities for human base
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2014, 06:14:17 pm »
Speaking of better base defenses what about an upgrade using a large quantity of alien alloys which will make the walls in your base defense not be made of cardboard.

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2014, 10:25:07 am »
Here after some other interesting discussion with Hobbes on creating new facilities (corridor, hangar 3X3)

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2281.msg23141#msg23141
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 09:20:24 pm by Aldorn »

niculinux

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2014, 01:20:12 pm »
Nice, these would be some nice touches that may be even merged in next opdnxcom relase :P

Offline Human Ktulu

• Colonel
  • Cuistre !
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2014, 07:59:15 pm »
Wow, not bad !  8)

Offline AlienMuncher

• Sergeant
  • Aliens happen...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 22, 2014, 05:53:15 pm »
Lot of great ideas here!

What do you guys feel about Ufo Detection Systems? For me Hyper Decoder felt little over the top in game. What I think it should do is only give details about ufo detected by the radar - size, mission details, etc. Since its development in game made radar systems obsolete, it would be nice if it was still necessary to keep some kind of detector along Hyper Decoder. I don't know about its detection ability though... Maybe lowered to 60-80% with ability of additional boost by some other technology/building?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 22, 2014, 07:47:59 pm »
Lot of great ideas here!

What do you guys feel about Ufo Detection Systems? For me Hyper Decoder felt little over the top in game. What I think it should do is only give details about ufo detected by the radar - size, mission details, etc. Since its development in game made radar systems obsolete, it would be nice if it was still necessary to keep some kind of detector along Hyper Decoder. I don't know about its detection ability though... Maybe lowered to 60-80% with ability of additional boost by some other technology/building?

Fair point.
However, I would suggest a less drastic solution: the Hyper-Wave Decoder could give you only mission and alien race data, but no information on UFO size or speed. Therefore you'd need both installations to have a complete picture.

Offline AlienMuncher

• Sergeant
  • Aliens happen...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2014, 01:33:57 pm »
Fair point.
However, I would suggest a less drastic solution: the Hyper-Wave Decoder could give you only mission and alien race data, but no information on UFO size or speed. Therefore you'd need both installations to have a complete picture.

True. Exact speed and size would come from Advanced Radar System which radius could be equal to oryginal Hyper-Wave Decoder and its UFO detecting ability - let's say 70%? Thus in the radius of Small radar system player would achieve 100% detection, in the radius of Large Radar 90% and beyond that - 70% (it is just a general idea how whole system could work). Large Radar system though should have smaller detection radius so to leave some area covered only by Advanced Radar with 70% detection probability (thus alien ships would have a fighting chance of not being detected all the time)

In this way even on later stages of the game player would have to rely on all 4 detection systems, which also by huge difference in maintenance (4 systems instead of just 1) would made bigger inpact on economy aspect of game.

Offline tnarg

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2014, 02:10:48 pm »
FYI I'm working on a mod that limits base space.  The idea is to stop people just have one big base with every thing in and just having the other bases as intercepter base.

Living quarters: personnel set to 20, cost/upkeep lowwed by 50%
Lab,workshop,large radar,hyper decoder: size change to 2x2
Hanger:  size change to 3x3
General stores: strage incressed by 50%

This meen the player has to compomise in there main base for example if they want 2 hangers, Lab, workshop and large radar and alien containment then they cany only have 60 personnel.
Also was going to add impoved terren crafts after alien alloys inculding a fighter-intercepter carft reserchable, one gun point, 6 soldiers, a little slower then an interceptor incase they wanted to go with a one hanger option.

I've done the rule set but it's using the wrong graphics as I've not made my own yet.

Offline AlienMuncher

• Sergeant
  • Aliens happen...
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2014, 08:19:24 pm »
FYI I'm working on a mod that limits base space.  The idea is to stop people just have one big base with every thing in and just having the other bases as intercepter base.

The same goal basically can be achieved by modifying max. number of personel of Living Quarters, Workshops or Laboratory and by adding new buildings like for example Warboy1982 Training Centre. Seems to me it is better to put all effort and ingenuity in design of new buildings (function wise) than scaling up existing ones!

Offline Aldorn

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2014, 11:08:01 pm »
Great !

Did you find the way to create corresponding map for Base Defense ?

Offline Falko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2014, 08:25:38 am »
Seems to me it is better to put all effort and ingenuity in design of new buildings (function wise) than scaling up existing ones!
Seems to me people should do what they want