Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1603037 times)

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION][RESEARCH] FMP Core/Tech Tree part
« Reply #885 on: November 13, 2014, 11:52:20 am »
The issue is that it's visible as (the only ) manufacturing possibility from day 1 - despite the player initially having no idea what a MIB is.

Also started a game:
There is HC ammo in the starting base despite the cannon being not available, probably a mistake.
Dogs are extremely potent scouts, ultra-cheap at 5000$ with no monthly cost. You could easily raise this to 20k, maybe balance with bravery 10 so they are the first ones to panick when things go wrong.
As for weapons, I'm still dubious about the usefulness of miniguns : At long range, precision rifles, rockets or even basic grenades are much more reliable.
The assault rifle is an interesting and balanced variant of the stock rifle.

Some of the graphics may benefit from a bit of cleaning up (from memory : kalashnikiv, land mine), though I should bring this up to the original creators.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #886 on: November 13, 2014, 12:46:18 pm »
The issue is that it's visible as (the only ) manufacturing possibility from day 1 - despite the player initially having no idea what a MIB is.

Fair point. Catching a live MiB isn't so hard after all.

Also started a game:
There is HC ammo in the starting base despite the cannon being not available, probably a mistake.

Yeah, thanks.

Dogs are extremely potent scouts, ultra-cheap at 5000$ with no monthly cost. You could easily raise this to 20k, maybe balance with bravery 10 so they are the first ones to panick when things go wrong.

I can't see dogs panicking before humans, unless to a factor that doesn't concern humans much (like scent). As for the price, I've never actually used them myself, so I might have to test them better before determining the price; thanks for bringing my attention to this.

As for weapons, I'm still dubious about the usefulness of miniguns : At long range, precision rifles, rockets or even basic grenades are much more reliable.

Well, it's mostly there for the rule of cool. :P Though it happened to me once that I mowed down three Floaters with one salvo, each of them positioned in a completely different place! :)

The assault rifle is an interesting and balanced variant of the stock rifle.

Thanks for the input, I was wondering if it isn't too similar to the Rifle...

Some of the graphics may benefit from a bit of cleaning up (from memory : kalashnikiv, land mine), though I should bring this up to the original creators.

The mine is mine (no pun intended), and I have no delusions about it. :P Some help would be appreciated.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: November 13, 2014, 01:45:20 pm »
I can't see dogs panicking before humans, unless to a factor that doesn't concern humans much (like scent).
Remember this is "starting gear" tier, not endgame Cyberdogs. Low morale would mimic how the dogs are the first to escape the player's direct control when things start going wrong, at least because the dogmaster is wounded or killed or too nervous to control him efficiently.

And figure this: XCOM's german shepherds rush into the dark barn. They come back hesitantly, a weird look in their eyes, a single thought in their mind: KILL!

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: November 15, 2014, 12:29:14 pm »
Version 0.9.7 is up!

Changes:
  • Some more UFO maps added from grzegorzj's Yet More UFOs! collection.
  • Some ruleset cleanup.
  • Laser Cyberdiscs are now orange, with orange weapon sprite.
  • Added Medikit hand sprite by Ivan Godovich.
  • Added some urban map blocks I made in spare time.
  • Using MiB armours now requires MiB Activity researched.
  • Fixed erroneus starting ammo.
  • Dogs have Bravery 10 now and are more expensive.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: November 15, 2014, 05:56:28 pm »
Mine proposal
Edit: a less monochrome variant
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 06:12:54 pm by yrizoud »

Offline XCOMFan419

• Colonel
  • Wait I'm still here I swear
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: November 15, 2014, 07:54:44 pm »
Mine proposal
Edit: a less monochrome variant
Pancakes? I love pancakes!
- A Sectoid Soldier, Probably

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: November 15, 2014, 10:22:17 pm »
Very pretty, I'm taking it.

Offline Random Commander

• Captain
  • Making no sense since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: November 16, 2014, 12:15:45 am »
Changes:
  • Some more UFO maps added from grzegorzj's Yet More UFOs! collection.
  • Some ruleset cleanup.
  • Laser Cyberdiscs are now orange, with orange weapon sprite.
  • Added Medikit hand sprite by Ivan Godovich.
  • Added some urban map blocks I made in spare time.
  • Using MiB armours now requires MiB Activity researched.
  • Fixed erroneus starting ammo.
  • Dogs have Bravery 10 now and are more expensive.

Last time I checked, Ivan was not a higher deity, even though we all want him to be :P

Nevertheless, Nice update! Will play it if I have the time!

Offline flying_teabag

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: November 16, 2014, 02:39:54 pm »
Hello I'm just wondering if this a bug or actually part of the mod.  But i can't seem to research any weapons beyond the advanced firearms range. I have reaserched the guass and laser weapons project but i can't se any other laser of gauss weapons beside the guass cannon and laser cannon.  Is there a specific technology i need to research before i can start seeing those weapons?

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: November 16, 2014, 03:06:26 pm »
If you haven't already, be sure to capture and interrogate (any) alien engineer.

Offline flying_teabag

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: November 17, 2014, 06:11:48 am »
If you haven't already, be sure to capture and interrogate (any) alien engineer.

Thank you it worked!   :D I Just realised there is a tech tree pdf.

Offline Quinch

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: November 17, 2014, 10:26:21 am »
I'm not sure if this is WAI or not, but it does strike me as a problem - namely, alien convoy missions and "Medium" sized ships can't be realistically intercepted until the late game, but they show up very early. They will easily outrun a Thunderstorm, and their landings don't last nearly long enough to be caught by troop transports. The end result is basically free points for the aliens, which is an extra piece of trouble when it's too early to get good globe coverage to compensate the score with shooting down other UFOs.

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: November 17, 2014, 11:17:08 am »
A little feedback on wimped dogs :
Got a base defense at the end of first game month (sectoids/cyberdiscs). The four dogs in the base kennels were helpful in spotting aliens, though I lost 2. Usually my own soldiers would be psi targets, but when I used dogs to scout closer to the hangars,  they froze or panicked easily. One ran in circles VERY close to a mine I had planted to close off a hallway.
I assume it's the mix of reasonable psi power (40 iirc) and abyssmal bravery, I feel it's a very interesting balance. Dogs can't rush and bite alien psionics, unless they get a lucky bravery roll.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: November 17, 2014, 04:47:51 pm »
Not sure if this has been fixed in 0.97, but in 0.96 the Anti-Material Rifle (Heavy Sniper Rifle) usues the handobjects from the ordinary sniper rifle, which don`t really fit. I checked and Dioxine has better (original) ones in his Piratez Mod.   8)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: November 17, 2014, 07:33:52 pm »
Thank you it worked!   :D I Just realised there is a tech tree pdf.

THERE IS??? O_o

I'm not sure if this is WAI or not, but it does strike me as a problem - namely, alien convoy missions and "Medium" sized ships can't be realistically intercepted until the late game, but they show up very early. They will easily outrun a Thunderstorm, and their landings don't last nearly long enough to be caught by troop transports. The end result is basically free points for the aliens, which is an extra piece of trouble when it's too early to get good globe coverage to compensate the score with shooting down other UFOs.

I'm not sure which missions you mean - probably not hybrid convoys, since they don't fly at all. (Although they are rather fast, which is intended but still a matter of balance.)

A little feedback on wimped dogs : (...)

OK, it sounds fun! I really should begin a new campaign to test the balance, but I still haven't managed to complete my current one, so... :P

Not sure if this has been fixed in 0.97, but in 0.96 the Anti-Material Rifle (Heavy Sniper Rifle) usues the handobjects from the ordinary sniper rifle, which don`t really fit. I checked and Dioxine has better (original) ones in his Piratez Mod.   8)

I'll see what I can steal. :D