Author Topic: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)  (Read 1599369 times)

Offline Hexhammer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [COMPILATION] Final Mod Pack (FMP)
« Reply #3195 on: December 08, 2020, 05:32:06 am »
Well, I tried like 20 times (with and without savescumming) and could not get even one crash. It's not a proof of anything by itself, but I can't fix a problem which I can't see...

That's odd. I did a fresh install of both the game and FMP and that didn't do a thing. The crashing seems to be random, happened about 3/5 times I tried it. It doesn't make any sense, I'm using the latest versions of everything and there's no mods which have anything to do with generating the maps so it can't be conflicting mods.

Anyway, other than this weirdness the latest FMP works like a charm and I love it. :D Yesterday I shot down and cleared my second ever Ethereal envoy. Those things mean business.
Spoiler:
I really like it how shooting one down spawns that intense scouting and retaliation, last time it took them a while to find a base to strike, lets see how it goes this time. Does shooting down the envoy ship spawn a retaliation mission every time or is just RNG gods being nasty?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3196 on: December 08, 2020, 11:22:17 am »
Retaliation odds depend on difficulty, but AFAIR even at Superhuman it is not 100%.

Offline Hexhammer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3197 on: December 08, 2020, 11:26:13 am »
So that intense scouting and retaliation by the Etherial order was all about the RNG gods wanting to punish me for my success in dealing with them? Neat.  8) Lets see if that questionable luck repeats itself.

After first envoy ship shot down, all I got for a while was Etherial order scouts looking for my base which was really cool, another example of how this game feels intelligent in the way it does things. It felt just right, I would presume aliens being pissed off to high heavens for their important big shots being shot down, killed or captured by some bunch of human cattle with peashooters.  ;D

Offline Hexhammer

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3198 on: December 12, 2020, 11:16:35 am »
My current game has went on to January 1st 2000.... Recently the eggheads at R&D have made major breakthroughs, I have been intentionally slow with research, not skipping anything, now I've got railguns, lasers, mind guided missiles and Ironfist, going towards powersuits and UFO construction and so on. It appears that I managed to capture so many aliens I got almost all the tech tree opened up by now, there's still a long list of things to research. Its so cool that three labs + 150 scientists still are not enough to make it quick and simple. I love the feeling of goin in for a long haul and not getting any easy pass to the endgame. Now three of my bases have strike capability, two with ironfists, three with skymarshalls, 30 soldiers in each base.

This is my first FMP game where I finally get a lot of Snakemen, this time around they have the damned bugs with them, I haven't seen a single of those fire spitting dinosaurs yet. Last time I played this far, it was all dinotanks, now its Chryssalids. :D I had to slightly tweak my tactic, less smoke, way slower pace, dogs kept alive no matter the price and my team sniping away from afar. The mind guided missile is fantastic! Slightly lower damage doesn't matter that much as I have two heavy weapon guys toting Advanced launchers. Shot down terrorships are quite fun to play with when there's huge gaping holes where the UFO engines were, easy as pie to clean up the second floor, just guide some missiles inside and watch the fireworks.

Interestingly, Floaters, Chtonites, Chasers and Sectoids have taken a leave while now its all snakemen left and right. There's also a huge number of retaliation scouts doing rounds, I keep shooting them down and mostly ignore the battleships to save the fleet for more important stuff. I would really love to get to try out my defensive strategy with snakemen companied by Chryssalids. Then there's also MiB and Muton retaliation in the works. Plenty of them, I think at least five different groups are on the lookout for my bases. Still no mind shields so these will eventually come out of the woodwork. I love difficult base defense missions as they can be a real challenge. I almost feel compelled to just let them keep scouting and find me.

By the way, I have only seen them once, but what's the thing about Sectoids who have some type of armors on them? Almost like a Sectoid version of personal armor or something. :D I researched one of them but that didn't give any extra information. I wish they would appear again. Also my unlucky run in with Sectoids who got Sectopods with them ended in those few times, but oh by  the gods that kind of crew is insane to take on! I don't know about now as my guys have plenty of laser weapons, maybe that + tons of explosives will work on the metal menace pretty well.  8)

The cactiless desert crash still keeps happening, but its very random. Some times it wont happen, other times it does. I'm just trying to avoid missions on deserts for now. Perhaps when I finish this game, I'll reinstall everything and see if that bug still keep appearing.

Its been amazing run so far. The game balance feels just right, I keep getting punished for every mistake and I got to play smart and be ready to change tactics any moment. The weapons are just awesomely put together, when ever something feels powerless, there's a updated version coming up to counter the difficulties and turn the tide, that until the aliens come up with new nasty surprises. Looking at the statistics, in the last two ingame months the casualties are lower. For now, its calm before the storm as I've clearly postponed a lot of alien missions by constant interceptions.

EDIT:
Now this was a surprising and nice move, its all numbers game I suppose. So far I remember shooting only one small Reptiod scout down somehwere months ago, suddenly out of nowhere, Reptoids do a retaliation on my main base. :D I had never had a fight with them before and to see them first time for real in a base defense mission was really cool. I presume there will be a ton of retaliations on the way, every few days there's something scouting and there's a plethora of races at it. I got my first touch of the Rail sniper rifle, that thing is a beast! All low/mid tier aliens drop like flies.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 09:52:06 pm by Hexhammer »

Offline markusgalileo

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3199 on: December 15, 2020, 03:04:25 pm »
hello there

I get the same error as Hexhammer.
I keep getting 'sorry you're not allowed to post external links' whatever useful info I submit, otherwise I'd provide full logs and code references.
Anyway it's about object 87 having 0 armor of MOUNTSAND_NOCACTI.MCD, which is not allowed by oxc code.
Having opened this .MCD with MCD Edit, it's a quick fix to set any other value, althought I'm not sure what this tile is used for and so what value it should be.

cheers
« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 03:16:06 pm by markusgalileo »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3200 on: December 16, 2020, 12:53:23 pm »
hello there

I get the same error as Hexhammer.
I keep getting 'sorry you're not allowed to post external links' whatever useful info I submit, otherwise I'd provide full logs and code references.
Anyway it's about object 87 having 0 armor of MOUNTSAND_NOCACTI.MCD, which is not allowed by oxc code.
Having opened this .MCD with MCD Edit, it's a quick fix to set any other value, althought I'm not sure what this tile is used for and so what value it should be.

cheers

Thanks, mate!
Nevertherless, I checked this and there seems to be no problem with MOUNTSAND_NOCACTI.MCD. Object 87 has armour 25, not 0. Was it different for you?

Offline markusgalileo

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3201 on: December 18, 2020, 11:22:45 am »
Thanks, mate!
Nevertherless, I checked this and there seems to be no problem with MOUNTSAND_NOCACTI.MCD. Object 87 has armour 25, not 0. Was it different for you?
'welcome!
when I opened it with MCD Edit, I saw armor value '0'. Setting to (arbitrary) 200 fixed it for me. I'm running the game on Linux, I dont know if this could be that somehow the armor value for this is loaded differently?
what program do you use to check the value? I can give a another try, using a freshly DLed FMP.zip and MCD edit and/or other tools.

Offline NullEntropy

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3202 on: December 19, 2020, 10:43:43 pm »
Hey there! :D

I would like to report the exact same thing as Hexhammer. I can repro it 100%. I only have the ImprovedHandObs and Skyhawk-UFO-MT32-Music mod installed

also, thanks for the mod pack, its awesome.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3203 on: December 20, 2020, 03:08:42 pm »
Thanks guys. I suppose there was some misplacement of file, or some other corruption, so I just uploaded a new version 2.8c:
- Improved Laser Rifle bigob (by Brain_322).
- Water pools slow you down.
- Fixed a random terrain crash on Desert Mountain Alternative.
- Minor terrain fixes.

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3204 on: December 21, 2020, 08:27:36 am »

I don't remember encountering any pools of water that X-Com soldiers could traverse in my last playthrough, I'm guessing this is some new map based wizardry that has recently been made possible?

This sounds like it will provide some interesting tactical situations.
(Does it only effect X-Com units or can aliens also get bogged down?)

Offline joseff

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3205 on: December 21, 2020, 09:23:19 pm »
Hi, i'm playing FMP for the first time, i'm on the third month and i like the innovations: the new models for the ships, aliens and weapons...
However i have run in a few situations that i dont know how to react, for example, i have shot a silacoid with more than 10 shots from the basic guns and it didnt die, then reload  the game and thrown 3 grenades just to see it still alive, this also happened with the cyberdisk (to be fair, i think that on vanilla when i face the cyberdisk for the first time i already have laser weapons, maybe it is also the answer with the silacoids since we mostly see then with the mutons, idk...), however it seens to die with 2 grenades and some shots.
In conclusion, i'm lost and i tried to find tutorials to help me out but since its a compilation of mods, it has been really hard to find the answers.
Anyway, i hope that i can pass through this learn curve and apreciate the mod, but i dont know if i'll have the patience without the tutorials/wikia.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 09:49:54 pm by joseff »

Offline markusgalileo

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3206 on: December 22, 2020, 10:30:01 am »
Thanks guys. I suppose there was some misplacement of file, or some other corruption, so I just uploaded a new version 2.8c:
- Improved Laser Rifle bigob (by Brain_322).
- Fixed a random terrain crash on Desert Mountain Alternative.
- Minor terrain fixes.
great, thank you! trying it out now  :D

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3207 on: January 03, 2021, 01:23:14 am »
While having fun with another FMP playthrough I encountered the following error:
Code: [Select]
[FATAL] OpenXcom has crashed: Height of map MAPS/COMRCURBAN43.MAP too big for this mission, block is 6, expected: 4

Not sure how i can fix it on my end (maps are outside my comfort zone), hence me posting it here.

If needed i can attach the log file and a save just before it happens.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3208 on: January 07, 2021, 12:52:43 pm »
This needs a modification in alienDeployments (the height parameter).
I'll check and fix ASAP.

EDIT: 2.8d has been released. Its only change is fixing map sizes to prevent this crash.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 01:11:37 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3209 on: January 07, 2021, 09:35:59 pm »
Thank you for that.

Indeed something i would not have thought off as the culprit.
Learned something today  ;)