aliens

Author Topic: Japanese version  (Read 39513 times)

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Japanese version
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 01:31:13 am »
i could help with openxcom japanese translation.
please let me know if my help is needed.
thanks
It certainly is, as it is unfinished right now! If you can review what's done and finish the rest we would be much appreciated.

Thank you,
talk of Japanese fonts in like have come up in the Japanese community,
once, perfect Japanese font was published temporarily.
(Which was attached put it to generate the images of all glyphs in FontForge from M + fonts per full-free)

Although know precisely the state of the translation thanks which uses it,Style arrangement in the Japanese translation seems to be still.
(Sentences that are not folded is seen here and there)

(So, because it was something that was converted by force to English with Google translate Japanese, please forgive the confusing meaning)
I wasn't aware there was a japanese x-com community, but if so, they're welcome to join us and give us a hand with the fonts. The font you posted seems a bit weak for lower resolutions, althought I believe it might be the best way to render all the detail of certain characters.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 02:47:31 am »
i could help with openxcom japanese translation.
please let me know if my help is needed.
thanks
Sure, just login at GetLocalization to help out with the Japanese translation.

Thank you,
talk of Japanese fonts in like have come up in the Japanese community,
once, perfect Japanese font was published temporarily.
(Which was attached put it to generate the images of all glyphs in FontForge from M + fonts per full-free)
Ohhh, good job! I tried generating the images from this GPL font (covers all CJK text) using FontForge but couldn't figure out how. :(

If the Japanese community wants to help out, they can finish the translation through GetLocalization, and if you send us a working Japanese bitmap font to go with it, we will add the translation to the game. :)

Although know precisely the state of the translation thanks which uses it,Style arrangement in the Japanese translation seems to be still.
(Sentences that are not folded is seen here and there)
I will fix this.

Offline freeaks

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2013, 02:39:22 pm »
Sure, just login at GetLocalization to help out with the Japanese translation.

ok then :)

Offline Ulgon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2015, 12:41:06 am »
hi. is there anybody having interest in my personal japanese translation ?

i did over the latest ja.yml file.
as there were no line feed, so i just added "{NEWLINE}" in paragraphs with playing through to the end part.

technically, this isn't translation at all. ::)
but i think every janapese finally could play great Open X-com in japanese language. still, i changed couple of terms for resonable way.

additionally, i added translation to following mods either.
 -- custom suit
 -- Plasma Shotgun Stand Alone
 -- Retaliator
 -- Terrain Pack Nightly

im playing on "openxcom_git_master_2015_04_21_0916". so naturally these translation files go to that version.

i attatched a zipped screenshots.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 03:36:36 pm by Ulgon »

Offline Ulgon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2015, 03:00:37 pm »
now, im testing on Nightly 2015_04_30_0720

Offline Ulgon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2015, 10:19:14 am »
now, test play has finished. i uploaded zipped japanese translation files.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/ta249d140syi8/OpenXcom_JP_translation_files

the readme file is all written in japanese.
but from folder name, you should know where to put on. (simply overwrite "Data" folder.)

this is for Nightly 2015_04_30_0720, but it should work with Milestone ver.1.0  :)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 05:07:08 pm by Ulgon »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 02:40:52 pm »
I gave it a try, but the game only shows "??????" instead of proper strings.

Do I need to change the Windows locale or something?

Offline AndO3131

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2015, 04:28:05 pm »
Tried these files with latest code and they work, although I have no clue what those glyphs stand for ::).

In current folder structure, 'Font.dat' and 'Font*.png' files go into common/Language folder (make backup of the old files).
'ja.yml' file goes into standard/xcom1/Language folder.
Then change language ingame.

As an extra, polish letters also appear correctly with this font (at least in main menus).

Offline Ulgon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2015, 05:25:00 pm »
I gave it a try, but the game only shows "??????" instead of proper strings.

Do I need to change the Windows locale or something?

yes, i think you have to change some to japanese in locale setting from control panel.
(before that, might need to install jp language pack if Windows 7...)

it often occurs when displaying japanese fonts on english based OS even if the game itself was using unicode.

abd thanks, AndO3131. :)

as im a bit too busy for now to check if my current translation pack could be adapted to latest Nightly.

i cant guarantee as for polish, but if ok, its delightful side-effect !!
next time, i will add version number to file name and readme including english.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 05:49:00 pm by Ulgon »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2015, 07:06:32 pm »
Ah thanks, now it works! I didn't even have to change the locale on Windows 7.

The downside is, the resolution is too low for vthe kanji to be readable, at least to me. Katakana is fine (raifuru, roketto etc.), but native Japanese words use kanji and I just can't recognize them (well, apart from the fact I don't actually know most of of them, but that's beside the point).

Anyway, I don't think we can do much about it.

Another issue is, when switching to Polish, translated strings from mods don't work. The mod was set for pl-pl, should I change this to some other Polish version?

Offline Ulgon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2015, 07:46:42 pm »
in this package, the 8pt font for japanese was the bottle neck which hadnt been resolved for loooooong time. and the font in this package is rather neat and well thought one.
i think most of native japanese including me should feel enough presentation of the fonts if not "beautiful". 

usually if the screen was low-res (320x200 to 320x256, i mean), japanese wont expect legible fonts especially for kanji. cuz at least 16pt or more size font is must.
that's the main reason why western computer system couldnt become popular in japan even AMIGA (most innovative time for gaming genre.) and later Dos/V (delivered total "shocks" like Doom, Wing Commander, Dune2/Command&Conquer... ) era. they were still using low-res screen.

we knew already at least 640x200 resolution is the least to display full japanese texts. you can realize how many japanese console games couldnt use enough kanji on low-res screen. (from nes/SG-1000/PC-Engine to PlayStation/Saturn.)
while main stream of our domestic computers having had 8 color 640x200 screen and onboard kanji-rom from the beginning (NEC PC-8801, Fujitsuu FM-7, and Sharp X-1. all top three was 8bit computer.), it gave a great satisfaction to owners as compensation for high price. and the period precisely corresponds to Apple][, C64, Atari, ZX80, CPC to AMIGA era.
soon later, NEC PC-9801 series of 16/32bit machines became standard for the purpose of gaming/buisiness which was natively 16 to 256 color 640x400 screen and higher rank onboard kanji-rom supported. although arcade machine and consoles still stayed in low-res world. and this period corresponds to Dos/V era.

so, i cant say "more" to the auther of this font. its already breakthrough.
if wider screen resolution could have been added as overlay for text output someday, it will become more eye-friendly for foreigner who learns or having interest in reading japanese text.

about the part of mods, each mods has own translation in ruleset file, so translator need to add the texts to each ruleset apart from general xxx.yml.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:58:23 pm by Ulgon »

Offline Phoenix7786

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2015, 08:15:26 pm »
Wow thank you for the history lesson. It was very fascinating. I enjoyed it!

Offline Hythlodaeus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2015, 01:59:28 am »
Wow, this is quite an endeavour. Because I'm not exactly sure how you did this, I would like to ask you if you like to consider adding support to my font mod which reconstitutes the original Amiga X-COM font.

You can find the latest version here.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1713.msg15843.html#msg15843

Offline AndO3131

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2015, 10:46:10 am »
With lately introduced externalized fonts it's possible to package these fonts and translation into a mod. Extract it to mods folder in user data and enable mod 'Japanese Fonts'. Then you can select additional japanese translation.

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2015, 10:50:13 am »
Hello.

You should replace default Font.dat name with your own (JapanFont.dat, for example). This required for debugging, to see which font actually is loaded.