aliens

Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition  (Read 750444 times)

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Hi, all.

After a long hiatus, I managed to get bitten by the X-Com bug and started to play again, so delighted to see Dioxine's mod getting better.

So on a fresh install (no mods except Piratez and the latest nightly 2015_03_24) I started playing. I noticed that some ground missions where, I think the Academicians play, I cannot reload the game. I keep getting "yaml-cpp: error at line 0, column 0: bad conversion" and then a crash. I have to re-open the game from the geospace and land again. It's like Ironman without being ironman :)

Also I noted that the Catgirl appears to be a multidimensional being  :o, as it is shown at one place and it is not "seen" unless the piece is at a diagonal. It is a bug or it is intended?  :)

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Hi, all.

After a long hiatus, I managed to get bitten by the X-Com bug and started to play again, so delighted to see Dioxine's mod getting better.

So on a fresh install (no mods except Piratez and the latest nightly 2015_03_24) I started playing. I noticed that some ground missions where, I think the Academicians play, I cannot reload the game. I keep getting "yaml-cpp: error at line 0, column 0: bad conversion" and then a crash. I have to re-open the game from the geospace and land again. It's like Ironman without being ironman :)

Also I noted that the Catgirl appears to be a multidimensional being  :o, as it is shown at one place and it is not "seen" unless the piece is at a diagonal. It is a bug or it is intended?  :)

I got this saving bug once too, but I`ve no idea what is causing that and it happened only once.

And Catgirls are working as designed.

niculinux

WHOA! After havin renamed entries in piratez.rul and piratez_factions.rul MANUALLY going on attempts, the mod star!!

Small problem (inventory refer to cannon or some sort of) see attachmente, the manufacture is right after havin researched Primitive weapons :(

For the files renamed, are in piratez/Corpses/ and piratez/body_xx folders :) Did not remembre exactly, sorry >: (

Edit: added another shot!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 07:35:25 pm by niculinux »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile

I got this saving bug once too, but I`ve no idea what is causing that and it happened only once.

And Catgirls are working as designed.
This probably my fault (because I trusted yaml :D ). Sometimes yaml can't read values written in save. You can test it by replacing all `recolor:` with `recolorX:` in save file. After that if you can load this save, then problem is caused by recolor values.
I made fix to it and it's now waiting for Warboy approval.

niculinux

Another one (see attachment)

Was browin' the bootypedia in resizable mode, but then the game crashed! ggrrrrrr...no....yarrr!!!!!!! .D

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
you should fix all this by regexp /STR_pir/STR_PIR/ this names should be all uppercase.

niculinux

Thank you Yankes, but i prefer to explore some more the mod :)

...i'm not sure, but attack dogs are not supposed to be equipped, unless they may carry a weapon in theri mouth? See hot
attaccked :)

Edit: also noticed that game in resizable view mode is really prone to crash. Don't know if is my pc that sucks, but i've a poo g33 intel  graphic card :,(
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:02:33 pm by niculinux »

Offline Ridаn

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Thank you Yankes, but i prefer to explore some more the mod :)

...i'm not sure, but attack dogs are not supposed to be equipped, unless they may carry a weapon in theri mouth? See hot
attaccked :)

Edit: also noticed that game in resizable view mode is really prone to crash. Don't know if is my pc that sucks, but i've a poo g33 intel  graphic card :,(

Nah, its working as intended. Allows for fun combinations, like dogs with Motion Scanners, or dogs carrying a flare, or HE pack delivery system. Dogs are mechanically very weak so pretty much any equipment weight cuts into their TUs, they almost cant throw stuff, they arent good at shooting or stabbing and so on. Although in FMP you can do fun stuff, like throwing a Stun Rod near alien, picking it up with a dog and make few hits, in Piratez stun baton stuff is reliant on melee skill, so dogs just arent good at it.
There is a way to disable equipment for Attack Dogs, but then they wont be able to drag bodies and stuff, so they were left as is.

niculinux

Thanks Ridan, but seems that all of sudden i cannot pèlay the game anymore!!! IN fact, every time i shot downa an "UFO" and go in the combat mode the game crashes at once, quitting on ubuntu 14.04 desktop!! Seems that there are lot of bugs, hope that next relase would be bugfixing only. for every new feature added there  are 20+ bugs :,(

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
Well, none of these bugs (expect for mismatched uppercasing in body_xx folders, which hates linux, Corpses folder is still being investigated) isn't really present in the mod files as published or as I have them here. You weren't getting some names displayed properly probably due to your changing all _pir_ strings into lowercase, while in lang file it's uppercase.

Crashes on mission start were a 'feature' of a few recent nightlies, Piratez, vanilla or whatever, but this has been already fixed - almost no-one encountered these problems anyway.

And yeah, dogs work as intended - sometimes it looks silly, but with their stats, you can't really use them to do stuff that'd be truly outrageous (like stun-rodding people), while removing the inventory altogether would take away fun, as the dogs can be used for some creative stuff, and I don't want players to be taken away that possibility.

I can and will not take any responsibility for stuff like game being unstable on some systems with some settings. This is a mod. I have no idea of what's under the hood, much less any ability to break it. And while everyone is entitled to their opinion, there aren't "20 bugs per feature" in this mod. Nothing is bug-free, but I pride myself of my work being quite clean, and this has been confirmed by many independent sources.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:34:06 pm by Dioxine »

niculinux

Well, none of these bugs (expect for mismatched uppercasing in body_xx folders, which hates linux, Corpses folder is still being investigated) isn't really present in the mod files as published or as I have them here. You weren't getting some names displayed properly probably due to changing all _pir_ strings into lowercase, while in lang file it's uppercase.

Crashes on mission start were a 'feature' of a few recent nightlies, Piratez, vanilla or whatever, but this has been already fixed - almost no-one encountered these problems anyway.

And yeah, dogs work as intended - sometimes it looks silly, but with their stats, you can't really use them to do stuff that'd be truly outrageous (like stun-rodding people), while removing the inventory altogether would take away fun, as the dogs can be used for some creative stuff, and I don't want players to be taken away that possibility.

I can and will not take any responsibility for stuff like game being unstable on some systems with some settings. This is a mod. I have no idea of what's under the hood, much less any ability to break it.

Uh..ok thanks for clarification. :) May be useful to know: started a new game, saved, shoot down first ufo, going into battlescape mode, and as I press to begin the round, it quits. I'm really unlucky then :(

niculinux

Ah the game starts but the problem is in piratez_planet.rul, once i activate it the mod starts but displays the screen attached shot. So the problem is there, i think, maybe it is possible to play without that ruleste file  ???

Edit: tarted a new game, building first extended vaults and crash again. :( Probably I've messed with the mod installationj, but don't want to reistall it, otherwise will fight with uppercasin letters. OK, enough for today, thanks everybody for their patience :D

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:53:29 pm by niculinux »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
@Niculinux:
Piratez_Planet cannot and will not load without a fairly recent nightly, sorry... But updating was really needed because these nightlies add tons of functionality.

@Ivan Dogovich:
I've managed to include your spelling corrections in the language file. I often say, a translator/writer is only as good as his editor; and you're a good one :) If you ever wanted to do a Russian translation, it'd be great too - all the more fun since I know the language a bit, and there's nothing like a Slavic flavour to any work of science fiction - English simply can't convey some thoughts adequately :)

niculinux

oh...probably i've solved; once i istalled my old xcom: ufo defence copy (US version/edition) then installed the mod and then the universal patch in the extsta download section of openxcom official homesite; i've should intall that damn patch BEFORE the mod, right?

Now, reinstalled the game and the mod without the patch and everything seems fine, forgive please  :o
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 09:27:29 pm by niculinux »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
@Ivan Dogovich:
I've managed to include your spelling corrections in the language file. I often say, a translator/writer is only as good as his editor; and you're a good one :) If you ever wanted to do a Russian translation, it'd be great too - all the more fun since I know the language a bit, and there's nothing like a Slavic flavour to any work of science fiction - English simply can't convey some thoughts adequately :)

LOL!  Sorry, I'm Russian in screen name only!  -- I'm actually from the United States. :)  (But you are welcome for the editing!) ~ Cheers!