aliens

Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition  (Read 758520 times)

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition
« Reply #1515 on: July 21, 2015, 10:47:45 pm »
Exactly... nobody criticized that Fallout 2 has "too many weapons", and for me, it was a major inspiration. Otoh it can be argued that Fallout 3 has too many weapons, even though it hass less than Fallout 2.... Heavy weapons are too weak and too specialized, energetics are too weak compared to rarity of ammo and difficulty in maintenance, basically I've never found anything clearly better than the Combat Shotgun, as far as shooting goes... It was done better in New Vegas but that game had its own share of issues...
atleast the ending and the motivation of the opposing faction isnt one of them

seriously?The protagonist's father fixed a machine that could help milions in the post-apocalypse world and the vilain threaten him because....they wanted it?
althought i dont remembair the story of fallout 3 like the back of my hand and i think that is for the best

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1516 on: July 21, 2015, 11:24:37 pm »
atleast the ending and the motivation of the opposing faction isnt one of them

Yes and no. Good dialogue, interesting characters: New Vegas ftw! IN A campaign that ends very, very quickly after it really gets going: f*ck you, New Vegas. I mean, after getting to the interesting part (actually entering the town) all your worries vanish and the game can be finished in 1 hour...

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: July 21, 2015, 11:36:05 pm »
Yes and no. Good dialogue, interesting characters: New Vegas ftw! IN A campaign that ends very, very quickly after it really gets going: f*ck you, New Vegas. I mean, after getting to the interesting part (actually entering the town) all your worries vanish and the game can be finished in 1 hour...
well bethesda games always had a way to complete their games in ridiculously short time

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1518 on: July 21, 2015, 11:44:53 pm »
Yes that is their official policy. I've once read an interview with one of their bigwigs. He was saying things to the following effect:
- To create hype, we need official "exclusive" reviews
- The maximum attention span of an exclusive reviewer is about 1 hr, so the whole story has to be possible to finish in about 1hr (assuming a Bethesda helpsperson will guide reviewer's hand).
- The bulk of reviewers has an attention span of 15 minutes, so most of the fun stuff has to BE in these 15 minutes.

Offline begri

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: July 22, 2015, 12:02:45 am »
Now I understand the philosophy.

But :) on the resistance side, you are scavenger it is ok, but if you would like to be efficient you need to be organized and unitarized.
Not understand to make rare weps and ammo it is ok for a long long time.
You can make better ammo befor you can build example a simple old style rifle. It is ok.
You can use the technology what you don't understand and you can't reproduce (maybe never) ok.
You can buy weps from the times of the lost civilization, perfect.

But as I said if you want take back Earth you need to at least try to be unitarized to keep the maintains on low level.

It is incredible shit that I have just a great tablet and I can't play it on pc... Lol

The game what I can enjoy is a great work, but I feel myself lost between the choices.

You have right with the tier kind of things with the new ufo and the plasma rifle or with GI and so on Arthanor.
But it not works hier
How many categories are already in this mod?
Guns, revolvers, smgs, rifles, shotguns, machine guns, bows, granade launchers, muskets, mortars, rocket launchers,...

Anyway what I really hate is the diversity of melee weps. :( pipe, PIPE... It was really necessary... And I can buy pipe on the market, on the black market, on BLACK MARKET is a pipe so terrible kind of wep in the eyes of the Solar Gods?

It can happen that I am thinking to artificially, but if a single vault (faction) from fallout want to conquer North America (Darkest hour - Doomsday mod) [URL]https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/fallouts-doomsday-2-0-for-darkest-hour.524685/[URL] they need to be act as an army.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1520 on: July 22, 2015, 12:15:53 am »
Good points but there is a hole in your reasoning. The axiom here is: you cannot, repeat, can-not act like an army. If you could, it would require another kind of game altogether (a full hard-on strategy). Reasoning: if you tried, you'd be squashed like a bug. You have maybe a 100 people and a few airplanes. They have tens of thousands of soldiers, strategical missiles, tanks, airplanes, attack craft and the Devil knows what else. And that's only small players, the Star Gods in the Solar System have 2 orders of magnitude greater forces.

Yes you can still win, you can take control of Earth... sort of... I don't want to spoil it, but the ending isn't that simple - because it cannot break that axiom of "you cannot act like an army".

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: July 22, 2015, 12:23:58 am »
You have right with the tier kind of things with the new ufo and the plasma rifle or with GI and so on Arthanor.
But it not works hier
How many categories are already in this mod?
Guns, revolvers, smgs, rifles, shotguns, machine guns, bows, granade launchers, muskets, mortars, rocket launchers,...

Anyway what I really hate is the diversity of melee weps. :( pipe, PIPE... It was really necessary... And I can buy pipe on the market, on the black market, on BLACK MARKET is a pipe so terrible kind of wep in the eyes of the Solar Gods?

The gals have to buy everything on the black market, because they're pirates. They can't really go to the hardware store to get their pipes..

That's the main thing here: the gals are pirates. XCom is an organized specialized pseudo-military unit, so they have specific weapons for specific tasks. The Gals are pirates, so they have whatever they can scavenge or buy on the black market, in a world where a wide variety of weapons is in use. It is not a military unit, it is a bunch of pirates who have limited choices if they want to keep a steady supply chain like you seem to want to do. And the advantage of easy logistics will be offset by missing out on some edge from the weird weapons.

If you want to, you can do well enough by limiting yourself to the black market weapons and selling everything else. You will lose out on some fringe benefits, but your life will be simpler. You will be the pirate captain that can't be bothered by details of logistics and so loses some advantages. I am the pirate captain who tries to get every little benefit he can from the range of weapons and doesn't mind using his time doing that. Different playstyles that Piratez allow. If weapons were streamlined, my playstyle would be diminished whereas in the current situation nothing prevents you from disregarding the weird options. Moreover, you would lose the feel of improvisation that a random assortment of weapons gives, a feel that makes it feel less like an army and more like: pirates!

Pretty much all the melee weapons have their use, but you can also make do with only a small subset of them. You could ask here what.. ~3 melee weapons you need to be able to disregard the others because you don't want to sort them yourself. I'd say shovel -> upgrade to spear, cutlass -> upgrade to tech blade, hammer, handle -> upgrade to fistycuff once gals have enough strength. Is that the best selection? Of course not. It's simplified so it's missing out on some other options.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1522 on: July 22, 2015, 05:21:56 am »
The Pipe has a better chance of hitting if a soldier has low Melee; for such a soldier, it would be a more effective weapon than a dagger, especially if that low Melee soldier has good Strength. If you want/wish to squeeze every ounce of performance out of your squad, you will get deep into details like this. But this is not required to win the game. You can easily limit yourself to just a handful of weapons and still be quite effective... but here comes the infamous difficulty. Some missions are going to tax you to the max; some missions are really tenacious. Never unwinnable - you won't be faced with endless waves of monsters that can only be brought down with nukes (skill becomes irrelevant then, you only have to have enough warheads) - but often very hard. Will you be able to prevail without that little extra efficiency...? Who knows? Certainly I don't, and it is for everyone to find out.
*Winnable mission: a mission that can't be won without taking proper tools is still considered winnable, as you should quickly learn what tools you CANNOT omit (some heavy melee, some explosives, some fire, some smoke, never get rid of AP weapons even if you normally use laser/plasma).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 05:29:11 am by Dioxine »

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: July 22, 2015, 11:47:00 am »
So does incidineary weapons do the amount of damage shown on the bootypedia or are calculated based on fire sprites?

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: July 22, 2015, 05:30:13 pm »
X-Piratez (the extended version) might have direct damage incendiary weapons, but as far as I know that doesn't work in the source OpenXCom. Inciendiary should behave like in the original (see here)

The flamethrowers, for example, do only a few damage per hits, but they ignore armor values so they are really handy against things that don't have a specific resistance to incendiary. Security guards in personal armor, cyberdiscs and especially reapers are all easy to down with those.

Offline begri

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1525 on: July 22, 2015, 09:40:43 pm »
Which files are affected to make it available to the latest nightly. If somebody could help me I would glad to do this job.

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: July 22, 2015, 10:08:44 pm »
So i should use incideniary weapons on heavily armored units.Does the same accounts for willy pete grenades?Are they better at blowing up tanks and cyberdiscs than high explosives.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: July 22, 2015, 10:23:18 pm »
I would expect power armors, tanks and maybe sectopods to have heavy resistances to flames and incendiary weapons. In vanilla XCom, the first two are entirely immune to fire, and although sectopods are not immune to flames, they have a lot of health which would make it tedious to take them out with flames.

Personal armour, cyberdiscs and scout drones (of the academy) all die easily to flamethrowers. The first two require multiple hits, which means willy petes won't work well (they only do one hit), but the drones only require one incendiary hit. If you know you will be fighting the academy, having a few WP to take out drones and a few (heavy) flamethrowers to take out cyberdiscs is a good thing. Flamethrowers especially since you can kill them on your turn, instead of hoping that the HE pack will do the job and dying when it doesn't. (Note that explorators in hazard suits are immune to incendiary, and some church people in similar suits are probably at t he very least resistant to them)

Like everything in Piratez: It varies. There is no one tool for every problem (except maybe the hammer, but a hammer sucks against cyberdiscs since they'll blow up in your face). There are a lot of tools for a lot of problems. Figuring out which tool to apply to which problem is part of what makes you a good captain.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:25:00 pm by Arthanor »

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: July 22, 2015, 11:15:15 pm »
So i should stick to spaming panzershreders and high explosives and hammers at tanks or is there a more proficient way?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1529 on: July 22, 2015, 11:22:50 pm »
Kill a tank -> research wreck -> answer to all your questions about possible vulnerabilities. Same with power armor and other difficult enemies.