aliens

Author Topic: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition  (Read 750419 times)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: [TOTAL CONVERSION] The Piratez Mod - 0.9.j - 9 May - Holiday Edition
« Reply #1500 on: July 20, 2015, 08:18:57 pm »
Raiders are their own faction. They look like barbarians and use starting pirate weapons.

I don't know if the cyberdisc has changed, but it behaves roughly like in the original: use explosives or flamethrowers for best effect.

If by "scout disc" you mean the small cyberdisc that the academy has, it is actually quite resistant to piercing and acid, not too vulnerable to explosives, but very easy to take out with incendiary.

You'd have to change the mod to use the piratez deployments. But that'd also go against all Dioxine's work in tweaking night vision ranges for both the gals and the enemies...

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: July 21, 2015, 10:58:51 am »
i thought it was like vanila were the aliens always had full sight range in night

also when should i stop throwing grenades at everything and has incidineary got a change in this mod?

Offline begri

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
[Beta][EXPANSION]Hardmode Expansion - v0.88 Release - Testplayers needed
« Reply #1502 on: July 21, 2015, 11:13:56 am »
Less weps...

Some weapons example could use only by some factions and you can't buy them or manufacture them, but you can get them through missions against that faction. That would be great. But really the mod have too many unnecessary weps.

The cash question (special raw resources) :

Locate mines, farms, banks, trade houses, bases, outposts, factories (airplane, wep, armor,...), power plant

The map should be full with these bases.

You know falling skies that is a greate serial. A ressistance should work like that.
If the game could manage all of the things from this serial that would be an ultimate mod of the year.

Example: destroying a power plant could cut the mechanical troops on the globe and so on...
Or other interstellar factions with their own base, missions to do together with other factions.

Hunting down the planes is so just pirates, bandits kind of thing...

Oh and less weapons :)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 12:12:47 pm by begri »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: [Beta][EXPANSION]Hardmode Expansion - v0.88 Release - Testplayers needed
« Reply #1503 on: July 21, 2015, 02:26:08 pm »
Less weps...

Some weapons example could use only by some factions and you can't buy them or manufacture them, but you can get them through missions against that faction. That would be great.

This is only partially possible, because a given UFO can only have one weapon deployment, regardless on the race that uses them. And while many missions (and therefore UFOs) are shared between factions, they must have the same equipment. But for missions that only use a certain faction we can have unique UFOs with unique weapon deployments, which is exactly what Piratez do.

But really the mod have too many unnecessary weps.

In normal X-Com it would be a valid point, since X-Com armoury is somewhat planned and streamlined. But in Piratez this is not the case; actuall I cannot fathom how you can too many weapons in the mod. Do you mean that lists are cluttered? Is there any other reason? I can't really think of anything. Honestly, this really surprised me as a very odd statement.

Offline doctor medic

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: July 21, 2015, 02:37:37 pm »
Is it me or are mutant gulags more frequent than vanilla?I dont remember but i dont think in vanila you had 1 every month.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1505 on: July 21, 2015, 03:53:13 pm »
The cash question (special raw resources) :

Locate mines, farms, banks, trade houses, bases, outposts, factories (airplane, wep, armor,...), power plant

The map should be full with these bases.

You know falling skies that is a greate serial. A ressistance should work like that.
If the game could manage all of the things from this serial that would be an ultimate mod of the year.

Example: destroying a power plant could cut the mechanical troops on the globe and so on...
Or other interstellar factions with their own base, missions to do together with other factions.

Interesting ideas, sadly impossible to introduce as of current...

Oh and less weapons :)

You mean MORE weapons? Don't worry, there will be more weapons. There is no hi-end kinetic SMG yet, for example... Or a two-handed heavy melee weapon... And there will be Reticulans with a few new weapons of their own, too...

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #1506 on: July 21, 2015, 03:56:23 pm »
Aeeh thanks for the free advertise.
Maybe edit your topics?

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1507 on: July 21, 2015, 03:56:53 pm »
Aeeh thanks for the free advertise.
Maybe edit your topics?

Uhm sorry, I don't get you man :)

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #1508 on: July 21, 2015, 04:00:12 pm »
Uhm sorry, I don't get you man :)

May i enlighten you:

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1509 on: July 21, 2015, 04:05:42 pm »
Ohhh, thanks, but begri is the culprit - I've just clicked 'reply' to his post, without noticing he's changed the topic to the name of your mod :)

Offline begri

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: July 21, 2015, 08:41:43 pm »
About the weps:

In the medieval total war the weps are in category. Every weps.
Now in mtw for third age mod they had rewrite it in sofisticated categories. This was the advertisment. :)

So less is more:

Faction faction faction all the time faction

Faction weps (all the time regardless to mixed faction missions) (lol I am just working to make it playable on android with every option...)
Don't make available every weps for our faction (comoooon you will use just half or 1/4 of those weps in your game)
Categories (if 2 weps have almost same attributes than you have 1 more wep just for waste! )
Examples for upgrades of categories:
- 1 weapon xy amount of different researchable ammo ( the diversity are maded by the ammo and you don't need so many weps)
- 1 weapon upgrade. New wep itself for better attributes but with same xy amount of different ammo

I think this is the best way to keep the diversity and to make every single wep important.

The categories makes the modding simpler :
Same sound for same ammo type
Same color for same ammo type
The ammo type is the category what makes the damage special

Weapon upgrades give better attributes for the weapon. the real difference is the ammo itself . You don't need 10 weapon upgrade just 3-4 for every category of weapon like:
hand gun - mk2 - mk3
Bow - mk2 - mk3
Mortar...
Rifle
Shotgun
Smg
Two handed male wep
1 handed male wep
And so on

These lot of weps what you have you can attach to the factions so your huge collection will be not wasted.

With the special bases:
I don't think so that it is impossible to make base with 1 lonely building giving him special name like factory or trading post and loot it as we loot an alien base

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1511 on: July 21, 2015, 08:59:26 pm »
Faction weps (all the time regardless to mixed faction missions) (lol I am just working to make it playable on android with every option...)
Don't make available every weps for our faction (comoooon you will use just half or 1/4 of those weps in your game)

1/4th weapons... on a single playthrough. This mod was never intended for a single playthrough.

Categories (if 2 weps have almost same attributes than you have 1 more wep just for waste! )
Examples for upgrades of categories:
- 1 weapon xy amount of different researchable ammo ( the diversity are maded by the ammo and you don't need so many weps)
- 1 weapon upgrade. New wep itself for better attributes but with same xy amount of different ammo

This is exactly how it is in Piratez... Many important weapons already have upgrades. More is to come - bayonets for AKs once OXComEx supports gun-melee tweaking, for example...

I think this is the best way to keep the diversity and to make every single wep important.

Not really. You forget about sub-par weapons intended basically for enemy-use only. Also, no. You might have 3 weapons of similar stats, because I want to cater to players' personal preferences. You are hit with at least 3 weapon tiers straight away; but within a single tier, every weapon has some unique advantage. Like, in tier 2, the AK has 3 bursts/round, RCF rifle has highest accuracy, and the assault rifle has highest damage.

With the special bases:
I don't think so that it is impossible to make base with 1 lonely building giving him special name like factory or trading post and loot it as we loot an alien base

You can do it, but there is no control on what will be spawned. The type of the base would be spawned randomly. Only always with the same enemy crew, armed with the same weapons. That's how the engine works.

In general. Less isn't more. Less is less. Overwhelmed? Good. That was the idea. I'm not opposed to the idea of game design austerity (Portal was great!) but this mod represents the polar opposite of this philosophy.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:01:54 pm by Dioxine »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1512 on: July 21, 2015, 09:03:29 pm »
I still don't get your point. Like, at all.

This is probably not my place to answer, it's not my mod, but I happen to like it and honestly these ideas horrify me. Your proposed system is co completely artificial and gamey that it goes completely against the mod, since why would all the factions make a pact of only using weapons that neatly fit into several uniformed tiers etc. That's just insane.

Besides, if a modder made it so that I couldn't use weapons that other humanoid factions can, I'd find him and hang him on his own entrails. :P But seriously, why would I play something this stupid.

All in all, I am certainly not trying to bash you, but these ideas seem so outlandish to me that I don't even know what to think about it. Maybe you could explain it better?

EDIT: Sniped by Dioxine. :P Apparently he understood you better than I. :)

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: July 21, 2015, 09:59:50 pm »
I think it's a matter of game design philosphy. Modern games tend to be designed so that they don't require thinking and weighting of options. Take XCom 2012 for example. Weapons are in tiers that are obviously better than the previous. There's no thinking, you just go for the next tier (the only exception being the light plasma rifle). Some people enjoy the simplicity and the idea that everything has its use. This works well for organised factions like armies, where the "best" GI weapon is developed and issued to everyone, then the best rocket launcher is designed, etc. It also keeps large scale logistics easier since you only need 100000 of 1 bullet type, instead of traction 10000 of 10 bullet types.

XCom is a small elite organization of specialized soldiers and prototype weaponry, so it is plausible that they would have a wide selection of weapons, like some mods enable, or a limited one like in the original game (since they are "army-types"), you can spin it both ways. The gals in Piratez though, it totally makes sense that there would be a zillion weapons, since they are scavenging tech they don't understand in a world where there probably are no giant weapons manufacturer but a lot of small ones.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #1514 on: July 21, 2015, 10:33:50 pm »
Exactly... nobody criticized that Fallout 2 has "too many weapons", and for me, it was a major inspiration. Otoh it can be argued that Fallout 3 has too many weapons, even though it hass less than Fallout 2.... Heavy weapons are too weak and too specialized, energetics are too weak compared to rarity of ammo and difficulty in maintenance, basically I've never found anything clearly better than the Combat Shotgun, as far as shooting goes... It was done better in New Vegas but that game had its own share of issues...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 10:38:54 pm by Dioxine »