aliens

Author Topic: Men in Black | Cover Alien | Gazer Alien | WIP new thing  (Read 195351 times)

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
Re: Men in Black | Cover Alien | Gazer Alien | WIP new thing
« Reply #420 on: January 14, 2015, 02:12:31 am »
Robotanks (left to right): plasma, rocket, laser.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #421 on: January 14, 2015, 02:26:57 am »
I wanna see the boomeroid graphics! :)

Offline shadics

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: January 17, 2015, 09:28:41 am »
OMG!
extreme good work dude!!  ;D

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: January 17, 2015, 03:25:41 pm »
Robotanks (left to right): plasma, rocket, laser.

I think that pink color doesn't combine that good with the rest of the terrain. Have you tried making the Annihilator craft more red, like its picture on the UFOPedia screen?

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 17, 2015, 03:42:49 pm »
I think that pink color doesn't combine that good with the rest of the terrain. Have you tried making the Annihilator craft more red, like its picture on the UFOPedia screen?
Urban terrain will be completely replaced in the future; that red shouldn't look so out of place anymore then.
Anyway that's the only red available in the palette; the next one available is just plain orange (much more orange than ufopaedia picture).
There's nothing I can do, if I try to avoid the pink-ish highlight tones of the red, the stuff loses to much contrast and becomes too flat and too dark.

Alien rocket launcher with autofire:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 03:45:04 pm by robin »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: January 17, 2015, 03:53:55 pm »
Anyway that's the only red available in the palette; the next one available is just plain orange (much more orange than ufopaedia picture).
There's nothing I can do, if I try to avoid the pink-ish highlight tones of the red, the stuff loses to much contrast and becomes too flat and too dark.

What about the red used on the Muton Commander mod?

Offline Mackus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 17, 2015, 04:45:07 pm »
Damn, those are some good weapon and armour graphics. Any chance they get released?

Offline robin

• Commander
  • ULTIMATE ROOKIE
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 17, 2015, 04:47:50 pm »
What about the red used on the Muton Commander mod?

It's the same red, it just avoids using the pinkish highlights because it starts from a darker shade and the lighter parts of the figure use different colors (alloy grey for shoulder pad and purple for face).
The current use of the red I'm using is the one that gave me, for my taste, the best result visually, despite the pink. That muton for example is too dark; it's still fine in its case because the red part is not glossy and uses a relatively limited range of shades of red. But for a glossier thing fully red (like the craft or the tank), it uses a wider range of shades of the color to achieve the correct looking contrast: if you use a relatively dark shade for your highlights (to avoid the pink), then the shadows will end up using very dark shades of red (blackish) and the resulting will look too dark, like the object has an incorrect lighting compared to its surroundings.

I hope I described the issue correctly, my English is far form excellent.

I could darken the sides of the tank so it looks less pink (and a little better overall) but frankly this retouch would have a priority so low that.. it's just better to leave it be.

Damn, those are some good weapon and armour graphics. Any chance they get released?
Well, I made them to release them :P, they're just not ready yet.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 04:51:16 pm by robin »