aliens

Author Topic: [STAT TRACKING] Soldier Diaries 1.0  (Read 536741 times)

Offline FudgeDragon

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [STAT TRACKING] Soldier Diaries 1.0
« Reply #735 on: May 27, 2015, 01:38:27 am »
Yea, at this point I haven't got the commendations ruleset enabled. I'm just using it for the Diaries. At the end of the day a Total Conversion like Piratez really needs its own separate set of rewards to fit the theme. Even the 'Kills' and 'Missions' buttons stand out. When you think about it even TFTD might need some small tweaks (do the navy have different ribbons and stuff irl? probably.)

As I said earlier it's largely untested (I've played about 2 missions) but all the interfaces seem to work. If you want to have a go at building it yourself the branch is at https://github.com/fudgedragon/OpenXcom/tree/SoldierDiariesLegacy20150430. Otherwise I can probably provide my current build here, in either 32 or 64 bit, if you want.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:41:57 am by FudgeDragon »

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #736 on: May 27, 2015, 01:46:58 am »
Yeah, in the US, the Navy has different awards from the Army, with some that are very similar, esp for heroism under fire.

The lazy part of me says, Yeah, that 32 bit would be sweet! then I think, oh yeah, but the melee statrings.... and flashing health bar.  Should pull those back in too. ;)  I'll take a look. :)

Offline FudgeDragon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: May 27, 2015, 02:03:46 am »
Best of luck, just took a look at the pull requests and they look fairly clean. If that proves tricky, you may be able to determine the relevant commits and cherry pick them to just get the changes to the files you want.

If you decide you want one of the prebuilt files after all I have uploaded them temporarily to my dropbox at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/103v5r6cet19yv1/AAD6INkoSf30P81z7USjAhKAa?dl=0 (they exceed the maximum attachment size for the forum just a little)

If you're wondering why I'm bothering to build x64 consider it force of habit. Some time ago I managed to get the win7 SDK installed and a static x64 yaml library built. I can't for the life of me remember how I managed it but it means I can build for x64 as easily as everyone else does 32 bit.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #738 on: May 27, 2015, 02:28:00 am »
Yeah, I completely gave up in frustration on the compiling 64x front.  Warboy said in tests it actually is slower, and there is not a lot of threading that can even use it so I don't feel so bad with the 32 bit builds anymore. XD

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
  • Squaddie cautiously peering through the breach
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: May 27, 2015, 02:32:49 am »
Well, I copied the contents of the zip file into OpenXcom, and I get an error about yaml-cpp: error at line 0. column 0: bad file.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 04:31:58 am by jgatkinsn »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: May 27, 2015, 03:47:12 am »
I am adding a Martyr Medal, awarded for scoring kills on the same turn as your death, provided you are the cause of your own death. Neato fact: the amount of pins you get is depends on the number of aliens you killed. The picture below means Kamaka scored three kills.

I am also thinking of moving the "best of" medals (these are awarded after death to the best soldiers of a given rank, and best overall) to the end of the month instead of immediately after death. This might be a good way to be reminded of your "good" soldiers. And a good way to not hand out a prestigious medal to every up and commer.

Picture:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:59:40 am by Shoes »

Offline SDEDEN

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: May 27, 2015, 04:32:10 am »
I think this mod looks really interesting, but is there any way it would ever be compatible OpenXCom Extended?

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: May 27, 2015, 05:07:05 am »
I think this mod looks really interesting, but is there any way it would ever be compatible OpenXCom Extended?

Yep.  Requires changing the OXC Extended code :)

Offline FudgeDragon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: May 27, 2015, 07:57:29 am »
Well, I copied the contents of the zip file into OpenXcom, and I get an error about yaml-cpp: error at line 0. column 0: bad file.

Any ideas?

Typicaly a yaml-cpp: error at line 0. column 0: bad file is bad config file that needs to be options.cfg that needs to be deleted because it is out of date/too new. Which zip did you download.

disclaimer: Also please be aware that any build I provide that isn't also on the front page isn't guaranteed to be supported by shoes. But I'll try to help where I can.

As shoes had said this involves a few tweaks to both the code of extended and soldier diaries. Extended needs to be made to compile in visual studio if you use that, and Diaries needs to be updated to account for a change to how damage types are stored.

If you feel up to building it yourself, I currently have a repo here :https://github.com/fudgedragon/OpenXcom/tree/SoldierDiariesExtended which has these changes made

again this code is largely untested and may not be supported by Shoes or Yankes and I make no promices about being able to help myself. But I'll give it my best shot.

I am adding a Martyr Medal, awarded for scoring kills on the same turn as your death, provided you are the cause of your own death. Neato fact: the amount of pins you get is depends on the number of aliens you killed. The picture below means Kamaka scored three kills.

I am also thinking of moving the "best of" medals (these are awarded after death to the best soldiers of a given rank, and best overall) to the end of the month instead of immediately after death. This might be a good way to be reminded of your "good" soldiers. And a good way to not hand out a prestigious medal to every up and commer.

Picture:
Snip!

Sounds good shoes.  I looked at the picture before I read your text though and was wondering how your soldier had died more than once!  :o

Reading your gist I understand you have doubts about where you're trying to do the best of medals, but I admit the end of the month does sound good. If you do work out how to do it after every mission maybe you could have both, switchable in the ruleset?

I was almost thinking about taking a look at this bit myself

- Polish Lost in Service state
-- Stats: rank, score, number of missions, kills/stuns, cause of death? Times hit? Total commendations
-- Commendations
-- Cause of Death

Can you explain a little more about what you might have intended? I have a few ideas myself but wanted to hear what you think before I present them.

EDIT3: I'm ok at C++, but apparently suck at BBCode. How many times can you get a quote wrong Fudge.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:00:56 am by FudgeDragon »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: May 27, 2015, 01:11:46 pm »
Regarding the Lost in Service screen: I sort of threw it together as a proof of concept to make sure it would even look good, and it did. As is, I've made no attempt to prevent text from overlapping itself (if your score is -400 let's say, it will touch the Kills title"), and there might be other stats that would be cool to do. What's funny is with the martyr code, IDs are linked to kills, so we can find out what killed this soldier and write a little blurb like "Kamaka was struck down by the plasma pistol of a sectoid" or something like that.

Here's a screenshot:

As for forking the commendations branch and doing things to it, feel free! I would be more than happy to add a link to a working SDE mod :)

EDIT: Rereading your post FudgeDragon, I now see what you are asking ;p So yeah, the information on the Lost in Service screen is just what I was able to easily do. The only mandatory thing I would say is listing the commendations the soldier received. Anything else is up for discussion; I think any tracked statistic could be displayed, it's just a matter of choosing them and formatting the list.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:31:25 pm by Shoes »

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: May 27, 2015, 03:05:57 pm »
Typicaly a yaml-cpp: error at line 0. column 0: bad file is bad config file that needs to be options.cfg that needs to be deleted because it is out of date/too new. Which zip did you download.

disclaimer: Also please be aware that any build I provide that isn't also on the front page isn't guaranteed to be supported by shoes. But I'll try to help where I can.

I downloaded the 5-22 zip file.  My current installation is  based off the 5/12 nightly.

Offline FudgeDragon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: May 27, 2015, 03:53:36 pm »
Hmm, I just downloaded the 5-25 zip file from the first page, and the 05_25_0957 nightly from the openxcom website.

I extracted the openxcom zip first, then the 5-25 soldier diaries over the top and everything worked fine.

The only thing I can suggest if that doesn't work is have you made sure your original xcom files have been moved from data into the UFO folder?

On that note shoes, I realize that you may be trying to save room on your dropbox, but you're missing the en-GB language file even if you are only trying to distribute the differences from master.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: May 27, 2015, 04:04:02 pm »
On that note shoes, I realize that you may be trying to save room on your dropbox, but you're missing the en-GB language file even if you are only trying to distribute the differences from master.

Are there missing strings? The reason I mess with the language files instead of modding them is so when a user turns off the mod, they can continue to track stats. I should be a quick copy paste job to get the en-GB file updated.

Offline FudgeDragon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: May 27, 2015, 04:13:01 pm »
Eeh, I think the file is probably fine. You just haven't included it in the zip.

Offline DoxaLogos (JG)

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: May 27, 2015, 07:17:40 pm »
Hmm, I just downloaded the 5-25 zip file from the first page, and the 05_25_0957 nightly from the openxcom website.

I extracted the openxcom zip first, then the 5-25 soldier diaries over the top and everything worked fine.

The only thing I can suggest if that doesn't work is have you made sure your original xcom files have been moved from data into the UFO folder?

I've been running fine with the new nightlies, and I installed the latest nightly and it works fine.  I updated per myk002 instructions when they went to the new mod format.

I'll try deleting the options.cfg file and see if that helps when I get home tonight.