Author Topic: [STAT TRACKING] Soldier Diaries 1.0  (Read 536500 times)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [STAT TRACKING] Soldier Diaries
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 02:18:50 am »
Yeah to distribute it you'd basically have to bundle your own exe/dlls/ruleset/stuff much like Warboy's old mod.

Offline BlackLibrary

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 03:37:58 am »
To be honest, I don't know how to distribute this ;p I've made source code changes, so it is more than just a ruleset mod. As such, you need to download the executable. But maybe you also need to download the new art assets I made? Now that people are showing interest, maybe I should renew my efforts :3

Did you make your change based on the most latest source, or is it old source with changes made long ago?  Makes a big difference and might explain why it did not work for the OP.  You've got folks interested.  Spot lights on you, Shoes!

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 01:53:04 pm »
Did you make your change based on the most latest source, or is it old source with changes made long ago?  Makes a big difference and might explain why it did not work for the OP.  You've got folks interested.  Spot lights on you, Shoes!

Every time I revist my mod, I pull in the newest changes from SupSuper. I don't think I've worked on this for maybe a month :( starting Thursday though, I will have more free time, so I think I will try and release something playable!

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2014, 07:49:37 pm »
That's great thanks Shoes. Can't wait for an update!

Offline AzureSkye

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2014, 08:15:41 pm »
Maybe make a diff patch file? Or push the source and get it added to the trunk :P

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 10:52:31 pm »
I do have a git branch for it, which I think is functional if people want the source. However, I tend to finish a fix, and then leave the project without pushing the fix to gitub...

All this attention is great though :D

Offline AzureSkye

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 01:07:30 am »
This is something I really really want to play with! It gives personality to the otherwise faceless drones. Kinda like customization for EU and EW

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 03:41:34 pm »
Same too, I love the idea of making this extra info accessible to us.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 12:06:43 am »
I have one more nut to crack and then I think I will be happy.

https://i.imgur.com/3bCSyvn.png

I've gotta find a way to get the commendation sprites to scroll with the text lists. After that, the only thing that will be missing is more stats to make more medals. Everything else will be feature complete, I think.

I could also clean up the code probably...

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 12:51:00 am »
Damn how the heck did you get medals into the game?! I've been waiting for this for a long time!! Well since I saw it in the 2012 game.

For naming badges, I'd like to see badge names from Nations in the CFN since X-COM is an international force. Translated names would be nice too. Or have a new set of badge names just for X-COM Operatives. I'm only saying this because you called them all Merit Star. Is this correct or are you going to change the names of them?

Beautiful work to say the least, Shoes.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 12:54:03 am by Mr. Quiet »

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 01:05:12 am »
I was testing scrolling issues and checking decoration and ribbon sprites, so I modded the save game to show more medals. They all have different names, and will be somewhat moddable too! Each stat that I track can be used in a medal commendation, but you wouldn't be able to mod "headshot medals" without writing code to track headshots.

I agree that it would be really cool for countries to give their own medals, but that may be difficult... at the moment, I have "X Campaign Medal" for having Y amount of missions in country X.

However... it could be possible to create unique medals from different countries. It would just require manually adding each and every one, unlike my generic "X Campaign Medal". The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a "Order of Canada" commendation for having like, 10 missions, 3 terror missions, 50 kills, 5 stuns, 0 civilian kills, 0 friendly fire... you know, something super unique.

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2014, 01:14:25 am »
The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of a "Order of Canada" commendation for having like, 10 missions, 3 terror missions, 50 kills, 5 stuns, 0 civilian kills, 0 friendly fire... you know, something super unique.

Yeah that's something I would really keep track of. The headshot medal maybe not. Immersion breaking, unless the military keeps track of that sort of thing. Maybe now they do for the growing military crowd with COD experience.

Where's Warboy or Sup, we need them to fix your problem and then we can have this mod!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 02:33:13 am by Mr. Quiet »

Offline alienfood

• Captain
  • It's people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 02:50:52 pm »
You could try pushing the mod in pieces. For instance, first push any new data structures, even though they may not get used anywhere. Then push the data collection. Make sure the save file changes do not break anything. Then push the GUI changes along with an INI switch to turn it off.

Probably, the powers-that-be may find this acceptable after 1.0, which can't be long now.  ;D

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2014, 07:18:05 pm »
I was looking pushing the mod without the medals, and only having the stat tracking. However, over time, the two became very intermingled: I would track certain statistics for the purpose of a medal, and would work from both ends.

I am down to (what I think is) the final puzzle piece. If I really can't crack the nut, I might just push the mod anyway, and we would have non-scrolling-sprites.

Maybe that's what I will do tonight... try to publish the mod despite this imperfection that only becomes a problem when you have like 10+ medals. The savegames would not be affected by a fix either, so that's good :)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2014, 09:36:52 pm »
Yes That's perfectly acceptable to me, go for it, tonight!  8)