aliens

Author Topic: [CONVERSION] Higher resolution  (Read 77840 times)

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
Re: Higher resolution mod
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2014, 09:19:10 am »
i totally love it  ;D!....and i dont want to sound annoying but i think there is something weird in their face...maybe there are so much "plain" color in the eyes area...so they look like they even have it...idk how to explain it  :-X..still i'll follow closely this project looks really amazing :)

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2014, 10:33:41 am »
WOW! They are looking cool!!!

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 02:03:39 am »
i totally love it  ;D!....and i dont want to sound annoying but i think there is something weird in their face...maybe there are so much "plain" color in the eyes area...so they look like they even have it...idk how to explain it  :-X..still i'll follow closely this project looks really amazing :)

To tell you the truth i agree, however i am not an artist, i did try to change it but in teh end they looked like badly make-up drag queens, so i went back to original :(

The main reason why i have not set a good version is because there is an error in the active area for the inventory screen. The objects get mapped to the correct location but the active area for the items is moved. I have tried several things and a few people have given me some ideas but i have not been able to make it work. As soon as that is working the rest is just feature add on.

However if anyone would like to contribute the code is here
https://github.com/Xracer/OXCHD

I have uploaded all the image source files, and even testing files :) anyone is welcome to help specially since i am not a coder :)

Here is the latest file that I did a little cropping it was done by Luke.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 02:40:43 am by xracer »

Offline blackwolf

• Colonel
  • im back...i guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2014, 07:22:37 am »
but in teh end they looked like badly make-up drag queens, so i went back to original :(

well maybe they was trying to save the world WITH STYLE :D!
ummm yeah i get your point...i would help but im not a coder,or an artist..i am nothing ;___;
the only thing i can do its cheer you up, keep going my friend this project deserve to come alive!  :D

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2014, 08:04:44 am »
well maybe they was trying to save the world WITH STYLE :D!
ummm yeah i get your point...i would help but im not a coder,or an artist..i am nothing ;___;

I am not a coder or artist either, i only have a vision in my mind, if i had half the skill that either warboy or Supsuper has i would have already finish :) To tell you that i am having trouble doing a direct image referencing :(

In any case this is a WIP I will keep working on it slowly as i can it is a mayor revamping of everything I am using artwork from a lot of people and i want to clarify that they are the one that have done the work i am simply taking their work and adapting it to work in my version.

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2014, 05:39:40 pm »
Hello everyone,

Well the mod is finally coming together, thanks to a few people i have resolved several issues and now the artwork looks cleaner, there are a few little issues but nothing mayor, next i will try to get all the ufopedia corrected, since i introduced many new items i bet it is a mess :)

in any case here is something to show you what has been done.

https://youtu.be/M1aY-Bnpmis

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 05:06:40 am »
a little update

this is a current screenshot

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 05:51:27 am »
This looks incredibly smooth. Obviously much work went into this screen. (Except the soldier stats, which look kind of unfinished, but I suppose you know that.)
Still, I must confess that what caught my eye the most were all those awesome new guns I want to use :D

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 03:45:45 pm »
Hello,

Thanks, it is still a work in progress, there are a lot of things i am trying to do.

And yes i know the stats are incomplete i am getting an error when i try to implement them :)

The guns is a huge departure from the original and hopefully i can implement what i have in mind. My current build is "playable" but the screen look all screw up in general i think the mod is about 20% done.

Offline Paddywhacker

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 02:11:17 am »
Really excellent work, although with combining the hi-res mod with extra assets like those new weapons I hope you aren't biting off more than you can chew.  If you can get the vanilla game working at hi res then I can see this mod becoming the default one for future modders to start with.

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 03:11:24 am »
to tell you the truth the addition of the weapons was the easy part :(  that was just adding a few more sprites and ruleset adjustment, which i thought at first was hard, then realized it wasn't so much. (maybe that is why i left it like 90% complete)

However making the game "higher resolution" is really taking a toll :S specifically one feature that i think is the "main"  change to vanilla is the merging of the inventory screen and the stats screen. Thanks to a few people I have been able to incorporate a few things already as you can see in the screenshot. And the battlescape inventory is easier since it is just static. The geoscape inventory on the other hand... :O

And to tell you the truth it is far more than i can chew firstly i am no programmer, so if you would like to lend a hand  8) Secondly i work on it during my "Free time" :)

In any case I do it because i love this game, anyone can jump in and out at any time, after all the main code is being done by a lot of people so not "many" bug in the code just a matter of passing values and adjusting location of object and assets :)

Offline Paddywhacker

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2014, 06:57:15 am »
I'm afraid you cannot truthfully claim any more not to be a programmer.  You are doing just fine.  We can see your progress from the Youtube video version to the screenshot that you posted above.  Taking one thing at a time, getting it fixed, and then moving on.

As for helping out.... I looked at the instructions for setting up a git clone for compilation and with the required libraries and it looked a bit daunting.  I've done simple C programming in MinGW, but this project is something else.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 02:23:44 am »
https://github.com/Shoes01/OpenXcom/tree/alpha_release

That has the latest upstream with my diary + what I have done up of commendations. I don't know if you can pull it into your stuff from your end or if I need to request a pull, but you can look around!

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 10:32:19 am »
Wow talk about a lot of work!!! man the amount of changes is drastic, and yes i can make a pull directly into my fork, however the changes are so drastic that require manual merging.

Since there is so much space in my debriefing screen i was thinking of merging promotions and awards into a single screen. I know I know always asking for more. anyway once i get the little problem i have resolved i will look at it.

Offline Shoes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 02:12:36 pm »
I tried to minimize my impact on the source, so hopefully it wasn't too much :)

I could easily see promotions and commendations being on the same screen. They're kind of related after all.