aliens

Author Topic: [CONVERSION] Higher resolution  (Read 77759 times)

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Higher resolution mod
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2014, 06:35:54 pm »
In the mean time here is a look at how I work :)

It is much better then the analysis of requirements that sometimes my boss ask to me   :o ;D

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2014, 07:31:01 am »
another mock up, don't judge on the color :P

let me know what you guys think.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2014, 07:38:08 am »
Looking better! ( I'd darken the red up, but I won't say that, because I wouldn't want to get caught judging the color).
I like the "+" s on the bases.  Looking good.

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2014, 04:53:45 pm »
Its ok. May be better but the way is correct. May be close all the boxes. In my opinion. Close the top and down

Enviado desde mi LG-D802 mediante Tapatalk

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2014, 06:33:55 pm »
Looking better! ( I'd darken the red up, but I won't say that, because I wouldn't want to get caught judging the color).
lol

Its ok. May be better but the way is correct. May be close all the boxes. In my opinion. Close the top and down
Could you do a little mock up to show what you mean, I think i understand, and it would make it look like a more "single window" but i think it will be an issue when you select a different craft so the middle area will change, and based on the craft type the 3rd window may not be available. Let me know how could i improve it.

Thank you guys.

Offline arrakis69ct

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2014, 10:47:29 pm »
lol
Could you do a little mock up to show what you mean, I think i understand, and it would make it look like a more "single window" but i think it will be an issue when you select a different craft so the middle area will change, and based on the craft type the 3rd window may not be available. Let me know how could i improve it.

Thank you guys.
I see the image and now is fine. May be a problem this morning and see different. Sorry

Enviado desde mi LG-D802 mediante Tapatalk

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2014, 06:48:22 pm »
Hello all,

So thanks to the awesome coders from OXC, i have been able to start working on this, and i wanted to ask some question maybe a coder can answer them.

I want to create a "super state" meaning a main state were a lot of sub-states will be called and drawn on.

this is what i want to do

basescapeState
will hold permanent active areas
BaseviewState
 - minibaseview
 - Basegrid
 - Menu

from this function we will call all other states and draw them on the right side as depicted
_btninfomation calls baseinfostate(), basetrasnferstat() and so on basically calling multiple states at once.
_btnsoldier calls soldierstate(), soldiermemorialstate(), soldiermemorialinfostate() (i forgot how that last one is called)
and so forth

Is this a correct approach or not, any help will be appreciated.

I was thinking on merging a lot of state but i think just calling them will be a simpler solution. I think it will be easier than recoding everything, i will need to adjust a few parameters but no huge reworking of the code will be required.

Please let me know if there could be an easier implementation or if this is even logical or possible with the current code.

Thank you

Xracer

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 29, 2014, 04:42:19 pm »
A little update on my progress.

Please be advise that i am not a programmer so my progress is very very very slow.

Also i didn't want to record audio :)

Let me know what you guys think, I know is almost a rehash of what i had previously done, but this is with V1.0 of OXC, not completely up to date with the current code but as close as is going to get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-akpzC7--jU&list=UUT8SVtyLAhMyBGhIhWWcHkQ

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2014, 04:21:19 am »
ok one screen down another million to go here is an update everything in the new inventory/info screen is not functional

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
  • XCom Armoury Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2014, 06:47:31 am »
Did you mean "is now functional"? Your sentence seemed oddly affirmative for a negative statement.

Also your presentation needs a bit of work in terms of alignment. If fixed, things tucked away in corners while there is lots of empty space and frames that don't line up between each other, would make it look much better already (to me at least..). I have attached a mockup I made in paint using your figure.

Otherwise, I see a lot of promise in your work. I think many of us are number addicts and that's why we play XCom instead of fancier looking fast-paced games, so having more on display is certainly a good thing!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:49:25 am by Arthanor »

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2014, 08:08:18 am »
Did you mean "is now functional"? Your sentence seemed oddly affirmative for a negative statement.
LOL
hey i was tired :P but yes it was supposed to be now.

Also your presentation needs a bit of work in terms of alignment. If fixed, things tucked away in corners while there is lots of empty space and frames that don't line up between each other, would make it look much better already (to me at least..). I have attached a mockup I made in paint using your figure.
You maybe correct, however there are some buttons that in that specific screenshot do not appear. Also although i see you centered the paperdoll, you moved the ammo window on the left side, in my point of view that makes it more unbalanced. The ammo window is only present when you have selected a weapon other wise the area will be empty. And i have been asking for ages for input but as you can see is mainly like 2 people that say "hey change that or do that" so i have been going at it the way i "think" looks decent, I am not saying is perfect but is not that bad :P

Otherwise, I see a lot of promise in your work. I think many of us are number addicts and that's why we play XCom instead of fancier looking fast-paced games, so having more on display is certainly a good thing!
Yes I do hope to display more info on the screen, use the real state more wisely, and also i am working on adjusting the basescape, which will be removed so many clicks while traversing the UI.

Like i said any input is welcomed and maybe will adjust a few things here and there ;)

EDIT:
Also yes this was my original idea, and location of items, because i didn't know what would i add, however now that is basically settled i do see your point, and i will make some adjustment, not as drastic as you depict but definitely more centered and maybe a little more open, right now all the grids almost run into each other.

Thank you
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 08:16:41 am by xracer »

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2014, 10:37:38 am »
Well, I'll happily keep up with the comments if you keep up with the screenshots ;)

You're right that, with the ammo box missing, my suggestion looks off. I tried it with the ammo box in the top left corner as well, but couldn't fit everything easily, then I forgot that it would disappear.. With some tweaking of where the inventory and stats show up, it might be possible to get it to work though.

Have you considered the impact of rulesets on boxes placement? I'm not sure how it works, but in regular OpenXCom, you can define where the boxes are (see Quickdraw or ExtraPockets mods). In the end, it might be something everyone can tweak?

Anyhow, glad I could help and I'll keep watching. Keep up the good work!

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2014, 05:25:26 pm »
Have you considered the impact of rulesets on boxes placement? I'm not sure how it works, but in regular OpenXCom, you can define where the boxes are (see Quickdraw or ExtraPockets mods). In the end, it might be something everyone can tweak?

This weekend i will make some adjustments based on your comments, I do think you have a point and i will try to polish that idea.

About the reluset, as it is right now all the grids can be adjusted via the ruleset except for the ground grid. However, my version is no longer compatible with OXC hence i am calling it OXCHR :O dont' worry one day i will come up with a cooler name :)

Now seriously my code is about 2 months behind the basecode, and doesn't include a lot of features that have been added, specifically doesn't include the modable GUI, why? Well because my original code was based on V 0.9 and from there to the latest nightly the code is so different that it broke all my changes and tryign to do a merge of the code wasn't pretty (trust me I tried :( ). I decided to get it back to work with V 1.0, but only up to the point right before Warboy destroyed my life ( read: Warboy introduced the modable GUI into the code)

If you visit my  G+ page you will see that a lot of things were done already, right now i am redoing them and since now i have a better vision for the BaseScape GUI am moving forward with more emphasis, but at a more calm pace. I will attempt to complete area by area, As of this point i consider the Inventory interface fully functional, albeit small adjustments can be made to make it look more balance.

My next goal will be to fix the Battlescape GUI since i realized that there are many many bugs on my GUI implementation.

Then i will jump on the Debriefing screen, which will include mission results, Promotions, award and any other stat i can think of (or you can think of). It will give you an overview in a single screen. And this will also be my testbed for learning how to either merge states or create a super state. So i will be bugging programmers. By the way just so you know i am not  a programmer :)

Once we complete that i will probably do the GlobeScape GUI which is not that complicated albeit for some tiny buttons issues.

from there the path is still out of focus, but the main task will turn to the BaseScape and use my knowledge of the Debriefing screen to either merge many many states into one huge state or create a superstate to call the other state within.

Ok too much ranting, I hope you stick around, and give me input.

Offline Arthanor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2014, 09:49:27 pm »
Oh, I see..! Any hope of merging in non-GUI related changes from the code?

Then i will jump on the Debriefing screen, which will include mission results, Promotions, award and any other stat i can think of (or you can think of). It will give you an overview in a single screen. [...]

I hope you stick around, and give me input.

One thing for debriefing (I know, it's later, but still) that would make me happy is showing stat improvements. Something like, line by line:

Soldier A  +1  0  0  +2  0  0 ...
Soldier B    0  0 +1   0  ...

with column titles on top, of course, so you know what the numbers are for.

I'll stick around and comment for sure! OpenXCom is becoming my one and only stop for gaming!

Offline smexyvami

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2014, 11:01:29 pm »
this looks allright but sadly to my likeing its 2 pastell and mute collored witch makes it seam blury to me and it could be nestalgia or soemthing i like the pixle art more