Author Topic: [GLOBE] Improved Nations Mod  (Read 80836 times)

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Nations Mod
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2013, 08:36:35 pm »
I don't see the point of this mod. X-Com is not realistic, it's a sci-fi game in an alternate/retro reality (well what people in 1990 thought things might be like in 2000). Remember the Cold War had just ended (had the USSR collapsed yet?)

Actually I'd like to see a mod which takes it more in the direction of TFTD... Neo-Japan, the People's Republic of Alaska, Africa Corporation etc

Or part of the way there. A United States of Europe or a divided USA maybe

Yup, man, USSR collapsed in 1991.
And please note that we're talking about introducing modding capabilities to the game that would allow precisely to do with relative ease what you're expecting... only by rule setting...

Offline Sharp

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2013, 09:04:48 pm »
I don't see the point of this mod. X-Com is not realistic, it's a sci-fi game in an alternate/retro reality (well what people in 1990 thought things might be like in 2000). Remember the Cold War had just ended (had the USSR collapsed yet?)

If you don't like the mod you don't have to use it :P

I like it though, once it gets more fleshed out and balanced I will load it up happily. Will give myself a bit more fun when actually doing a UFO mission in a funding country instead of it just being some random place outside of the original funding nations.

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2013, 10:05:39 pm »
Just thought - in order to make this mod almost complete in geoscape - would be nice to take the polylines (now hardcoded in Resources) as point-lists attached to each country rule in order to draw its borders...

Yes; I recall there was some talk about how polylines were going to be externalized at some point.

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2013, 12:19:52 am »
Actually I'd like to see a mod which takes it more in the direction of TFTD... Neo-Japan, the People's Republic of Alaska, Africa Corporation etc

I actually have a partial mod based off my improved nations mod; which makes it based more around regional groupings, like NATO, Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO), etc.

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2013, 01:58:10 pm »
Yes; I recall there was some talk about how polylines were going to be externalized at some point.
Hi, MK...
Just added PR#707:https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/707 which deports the country borders into ruleset...
Along with the previous PR#701:https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/701 - erase rules enabler, which allows you to delete countries, and the PR#699:https://github.com/SupSuper/OpenXcom/pull/699 - scrolling country/region buttons in Graphs screen, I think that the Geoscape support for this mod is almost complete.
If you have something else/new in mind...

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2013, 06:47:05 pm »
Just one request since you're messing about with the system -- would it be possible to add support for labels not connected to a nation?

Currently, labels are connected to nations -- it'd be nice if we could have non-connected labels that we could place over locations like Alaska or Hawaii called Alaska (USA) or Hawaii (USA).

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2013, 12:30:13 am »
Just one request since you're messing about with the system -- would it be possible to add support for labels not connected to a nation?

Currently, labels are connected to nations -- it'd be nice if we could have non-connected labels that we could place over locations like Alaska or Hawaii called Alaska (USA) or Hawaii (USA).
Free labels over the map IMO was never thought of... they require a new "base rule"
I could think of instead:
  • optional labels placed at center of each country area and/or
  • optional labels placed at center of each region area
Is that what you're looking for?

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2013, 08:47:41 pm »
No, what I'm looking at is a label that can be placed on the map independently of the nation.

For example, in Improved Nations; French Guiana is considered part of France -- but there's no indication to the player that that bit of land in South America is considered part of France; so the player would be confused when UFO sightings over France are HIGH, when they have a base in France and have been shooting down UFOs.

A game guide for the Improved Nation Mod would solve this; but players generally don't read game guides.  ;D

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2013, 09:41:29 pm »
Well, that's why I was talking about regions also.
Each Region (South America for instance) is composed in ruleset from several squares (rectangles). What I see feasible is
- defining an extra square within your region (which will enclose French Guyana and it's spaceport), and at it's center to place the label...
- adding an extra label node-list => will look into this also

Offline crisisdude

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [GLOBE] Improved Nations Mod
« Reply #54 on: November 10, 2013, 06:59:42 am »
Are you gonna add Greenland, and Iceland?

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2013, 09:15:03 pm »
Trying out the -delete string and it keeps crashing the game with the git_master_2013_11_20_0723 version.

See attached ruleset.

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2013, 09:23:14 pm »
Trying out the -delete string and it keeps crashing the game with the git_master_2013_11_20_0723 version.

See attached ruleset.
Hi, MK
Would you try putting all delete's in a separate rule file placed between the original xcom rul and the improved nations in the cfg file?
I think it would work this way.
On the latest build, you can also give a tray to the graphs scrolling buttons.

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2013, 09:56:49 pm »
Still Crashes.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2013, 10:17:13 pm »
Fixed. (also you can keep it all in one ruleset, doesn't matter)

Edit: Btw your initial funding of $8.5M is still too low for your countries. I added a sanity check to avoid negatives and it comes out to like ~$10M on average.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:27:16 pm by SupSuper »

Offline MKSheppard

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2013, 10:32:21 pm »
Thanks to both.

The data in the funding files was just provisional placeholders -- I kept copy and pasting the last country into the new one; then just changing the coordinates/string name. Fixing up the funding was going to come last; and I still need to do that.