aliens

Author Topic: [ARMOR] Combat Armor  (Read 40536 times)

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
[ARMOR] Combat Armor
« on: May 27, 2013, 07:21:03 am »
INCOMING COUNCIL TRANSMISSION!

Message decoded: playback commencing.

=======/@$8 Attention Commanders 4&^@/===========

military manufacturers have recently completed testing on some much needed new protection for our troops,
and we have approved them for purchase by your organization.

please find enclosed details and specifications, as well as a standard issue requisition form.

all credit goes to Ryskeliini for the sprites.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 11:13:11 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline winterheart

• Colonel
  • Fellow Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Armor
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 10:13:31 am »
It is replacement for Personal Armor, or it should be lesser one before PA will be researched? If so, Combat armor is somewhat superior than Personal.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 10:23:52 am »
it's available for purchase from the beginning.
requires no research.
this is NOT a replacement, this is a new armour type.
the values here represent the armour's "health" values, not it's damage modifiers.
this is somewhat more durable than personal armour, but offers less overall protection.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:26:05 am by Warboy1982 »

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:53:16 am »
This looks great! Thank You!

Offline rezaf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 10:45:27 pm »
Warboy, thanks for releasing some stuff from your mod seperately.
I was thinking about porting a few things from there myself, but it took me quite a long time to get OpenXcom to compile in Visual Studio in the first place.
If you seperately release some things for everyone to use, all the better.
I'm hoping for the Shotgun eventually.  8)
_____
rezaf

Offline Nightwolf

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 12:01:17 am »
Yeah, i really want the shotgun too :)

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 06:42:19 pm »
It is nice, i like the new armor, but i don't like the knee pads :)

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 04:45:52 am »
Is there anyway it is posted what all the damage modifiers are for in the ruleset?  I know of the Plasma and Laser modifier from a modding example, but haven't found that information for all the others.  Thanks.

In regards to the Combat Armor, looking at the stats, I can't tell any reason to use Personal Armor given you can buy this and get virtually the same protection.  Really like the idea but think I'd like to tweak it to make it useful but also give a reason to manufacture Personal Armor.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 08:26:05 am »
They're the same as the weapon damages:
DT_NONE, DT_AP, DT_IN, DT_HE, DT_LASER, DT_PLASMA, DT_STUN, DT_MELEE, DT_ACID, DT_SMOKE
(in that order)

Offline wsmithjr

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 10:48:15 pm »
They're the same as the weapon damages:(in that order)

Thanks.  Can you give me a reference for where you got that.  would like to see what else I don't know.  I appreciate the help.

Offline Phezzan

• Sergeant
  • Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 01:20:03 am »
I can only think of one place to 'get it from'.

Ruleset/RuleItem.h:enum ItemDamageType { DT_NONE, DT_AP, DT_IN, DT_HE, DT_LASER, DT_PLASMA, DT_STUN, DT_MELEE, DT_ACID, DT_SMOKE };

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 02:19:38 am »
and this is why a mod tool is in order ;)

Offline hstech

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 03:14:53 pm »
In regards to the Combat Armor, looking at the stats, I can't tell any reason to use Personal Armor given you can buy this and get virtually the same protection.  Really like the idea but think I'd like to tweak it to make it useful but also give a reason to manufacture Personal Armor.

I got some ideas to fix this.

First I suggest making the Plasma damage modifier of the Personal Armor much lower than for Combat Armor, leading to the Personal Armor to be much more resistant to Plasma Weapons than this Kevlar thing. Given the fact that aliens use plasma weapons almost exclusively, I would think this would be pretty strong reason to swap your Combat Armor with Personal Armor once you have it. The explanation would be that since aliens want to be able to perform combat inside the UFO without destroying it, they would tailor their alloys to make them plasma resistant.

Additionally the Personal Armor could also have reduced damage from fire. Given the fact that it is made from non-flammable metal alloy which has some pretty impressive heat resistant abilities (the alien Battleship can zip over 1500 km at 5000 km/h in the full Earth atmosphere without turning into so much molten metal and still be functional enough to break the X-COM base's hangar and access lift doors and deliver all the troops in it into the base, see https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Battleship; especially the Alien Retaliation section on that page; the explanation would be simple, Alien Alloys make for an excellent heat shield), I would expect that an armor made from it would handle fire much better than a Kevlar suit. That would also explain the extreme resistance to the hot plasma spitted by the alien weapons.

Next, the Combat Armor would be really heavy, requiring a strong soldier to wear it or suffer the resulting encumbrance. The alien alloy properties would allow for the Personal Armor to be much more lightweight, allowing any soldier to wear it without any encumbrance effect (it would be as light as Coveralls).

And last, the Personal Armor could see some strength upgrade and maybe more even distribution. Maybe all its stats having 60 armor strength (or maybe making the under armor only 50 or even 40 armor strength but the rest being 60). This would make it enticing from the protection point as well while not removing the enticement from the Power Suit (which has the front armor set to 100). The power suit could also be upgraded to 100, 90, 90, 80, 70) to give the player a reason for its increased cost.

Offline gix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [ARMOR] Combat Armor
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 10:35:56 pm »
Now, when the armors have ufopaedia text description, a small mod upgrade may be in order...
In ruleset add say:
ufopaedia:
  - id: STR_COMBAT_ARMOR_UC
    text: STR_COMBAT_ARMOR_UFOPAEDIA
extraStrings:
  - type: en-US
    strings:
      STR_COMBAT_ARMOR_UFOPAEDIA: Standard combat armor, offers basic protection against enemy fire.
  - type: en-GB
    strings:
      STR_COMBAT_ARMOR_UFOPAEDIA: Standard combat armor, offers basic protection against enemy fire.

Offline Quixote

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: [ARMOR] Combat Armor
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 02:18:51 pm »
Looks good, but a comment: Shouldn't the armour values be much lower on the sides? Seeing as the armour is made from two plates, one in front and one on the back... there wouldn't be much protection from the sides.