aliens

Author Topic: Feels like enemies are more difficult. MYSTERY SOLVED - Warboy is a meanie  (Read 30404 times)

Offline Inglonias

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
In battles through the main campaign, the enemies have a lot more reaction fire than they did in the DOS version of the game. It's very odd. This may just be because the AI is different, or because I still suck at this game more than I thought. Either way, the game feels more difficult than it once did.

EDIT: This mystery has been solved.

i added a small function to the spawn code to make all aliens within a short radius (approximately maximum fire distance) of your landing craft start off facing towards your ramp.

because i hate your soldiers and i want them dead.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:50:27 am by Inglonias »

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
Re: Feels like enemies are more difficult. Even on beginner.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 11:57:25 pm »
You need to remember that you may have enabled the "sneaky AI" feature, in which alien will actually hide from openxcom units and will use cover as much as possible. Plus i think our initial suck a lot :)

There are a few changes and it does feel like the game is a bit more difficult, you can stand in the middle of an open field and hope none will shoot at you, remember to kneel and use cover.

Offline Inglonias

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 12:30:55 am »
You need to remember that you may have enabled the "sneaky AI" feature, in which alien will actually hide from openxcom units and will use cover as much as possible. Plus i think our initial suck a lot :)

There are a few changes and it does feel like the game is a bit more difficult, you can stand in the middle of an open field and hope none will shoot at you, remember to kneel and use cover.

Sneaky AI is off.

Thanks for the help. I realize that the AI is different, and actually a bit better in some ways.

Although it is a valid tactic, it feels unfair that there are usually so many aliens camping the Skyranger. That's the biggest difference in the AI. They camp my landing vehicle.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 01:27:09 am by Inglonias »

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 01:58:28 am »
burn turn one, use smoke.

i added a small function to the spawn code to make all aliens within a short radius (approximately maximum fire distance) of your landing craft start off facing towards your ramp.

Offline Inglonias

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 02:19:34 am »

...Hate you... so much...

Changed the thread title. Because you're mean. You are a mean person. You meanie.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 02:51:59 am by Inglonias »

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile

Never realized that feature :) i guess is logical, if you see a ship landing you want to face it :) after all they know we are coming to kill them!!! :)

Offline Inglonias

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Never realized that feature :) i guess is logical, if you see a ship landing you want to face it :) after all they know we are coming to kill them!!! :)

Nevertheless, I feel that this is something that should go in Advanced Options.

Because I love my soldiers the money I use to hire new soldiers and want them to live

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
Nevertheless, I feel that this is something that should go in Advanced Options.

Because I love my soldiers the money I use to hire new soldiers and want them to live

Although i agree with you, how about not making that change and changing something else.

How about we make all earth based tech ships create a cloud of "debris" when they land as such this will provide cover to our agent and teh alien will still get first dibs on an idiot that walks too far :)
The reason for only earth base tech ship is because we know alien use magic advanced technology (anti-gravity) as the propulsion system as such... blah blah blah.
If you are still making this type of tactical mistakes by the time you get alien based tech ships then your units deserve to die :P

Offline Inglonias

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Although i agree with you, how about not making that change and changing something else.

How about we make all earth based tech ships create a cloud of "debris" when they land as such this will provide cover to our agent and teh alien will still get first dibs on an idiot that walks too far :)
The reason for only earth base tech ship is because we know alien use magic advanced technology (anti-gravity) as the propulsion system as such... blah blah blah.
If you are still making this type of tactical mistakes by the time you get alien based tech ships then your units deserve to die :P

Walks too far? I don't even make it off the ramp sometimes! Ah, well. I suppose that's XCOM for you.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 05:13:50 am by Inglonias »

Offline bulltza

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Walks too far? I don't even make it off the ramp sometimes! Ah, well. I suppose that's XCOM for you.

In Vanilla it was strange that my soldiers were shot in the first turn while descending the ramp of the skyranger. However in openxcom it is exactly the contrary. In my first missions I was losing between 2 or 3 men in the first turn because of this.

To avoid this, since then in my first turn I throw a smoke granade into the ground infront of the ramp and then start the deployment on the second turn. Since then I don't remember losing a man on the ramp, I became too cautions in that sense (I play in auto-ironman mode).

In OpenXcom I have also noticed some positions inside the UFOs are always covered and there is no way of seing the alien first to kill him. He will always be there waiting for you and killing your first man. So you have to figure out new strategies there, granades, mind control units or other explosive amunition ;).

I must admit I love that there is an improved AI. In vanilla after a while it was a little bit embarrasing seing the aliens not doing anything to try to win the battle, just stay there and shoot if you were around running.

Offline Tarvis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
I've noticed this too. I'm getting reaction fire from pretty much every step I take in Alien sight, usually from the same unit. And this is all on Beginner!

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
Don't feel bad, just pop a smoke and run into a house. You should read some Murphy's Laws too. Some of them are probably not true, but it's a fun read and gets you ready for almost anything.

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Murphy%27s_Laws_%28X-COM%29

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 06:07:16 am »

A excellent feature that makes Logical sense , but still it should be optional.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
It's a feature of the AI.
The AI in OpenXCom is different from the AI in the original.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
So , do all aliens near landing site automatically do this regardless of difficulty or could be be determined on difficulty level and chance?

This sounds like a great feature to me, but when i go try  teaching my daughter ( and eventually my son) the wonders of XCOM this should be limited for her, the game is hard enough for adults :)