aliens

Author Topic: Ability to autoshoot in a line as one shot  (Read 7219 times)

Offline x-com_player

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Ability to autoshoot in a line as one shot
« on: January 16, 2022, 03:22:36 pm »
Currently its possible to only auto shoot one shot per time and each shot goes to different direction.
Animation: unit shots bullet per time, each bullet goes by its own cource, screen follows each shot.

I propose an autoshot where all bullets go one after another, all in one direction.
Animatoin: unit shoots all bullets as one action, all bullets go one after another (very close to each other) in one direction, screen follows first one.

This is much closer to real world burst fire.
See picture.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 03:51:34 pm by x-com_player »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ability to autoshoot in a line as one shot
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 03:57:06 pm »
Sorry, that's not how the engine is designed.

Offline x-com_player

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 10:15:10 pm »
Thank you for reply! I understand what you mean. But this feature may be greatly in demand. For example by modmakers. This would be very interesting mechanic.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 10:18:14 pm by x-com_player »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 04:18:50 am »
You can somewhat simulate they behavior you want by creating a "shotgun" with minimum spread. The UAC rifle in Piratez and XCF do this, and 40k's melta uses it to simulate a continuous beam weapon.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 02:30:41 am »
Sorry, that's not how the engine is designed.
Could it be implemented using the shotgun mechanics? Basically it would have the same spread as a shotgun, it would just animate one pellet at a time instead of having them all instantly hit at once. But the trajectories would be the same as a shotgun.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 09:56:15 am »
There is no problem calculating trajectories, or making any other "simple" calculation.
Problems are somewhere else.

Offline LuckyClover

• Captain
  • Trying my best :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 05:36:46 pm »
Sure You could make autoshoot fire in one line but it would kill "dakka dakka" fun  ;)
We all know that Xcom operatives are recruited from most inaccurate people on Earth-I easy shoot targets way smaller than alien head (like empty ammo box)
from 50m with duble barell shootgun. Xcom soldiers often miss targets next to them... but of course You can always tell its battle fear that makes people "less optimal" :)

Offline x-com_player

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 02:14:34 pm »
There is no problem calculating trajectories, or making any other "simple" calculation.
Problems are somewhere else.

Would be nice to shoot not per bullet, but as a normal bullet burst (like in RL).
Why its not possible to make it as a single shot, but animation would draw a 3 bullets for example? And count damage as sum of 3 (not per bullet, again).
Sorry for bothering you again about this.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 02:30:22 pm by x-com_player »

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 02:35:26 pm »
Because game engine only handle one bullet at time, and this very much hardcoded in it.
Of corse it can be change but work required to do it couple of magnitude more that worth grain from changing it.

Reaver point out correctly that shotgun have somting similar to what your request but you need understand that this is effective broken hack.
Lot of effects (like bullet animations!) are not available for it, this is all because it want go against limits that engine empose.

Offline x-com_player

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2022, 02:46:18 pm »
Of corse it can be change but work required to do it couple of magnitude more that worth grain from changing it.

Of cource, but actually I think many modmakers would use this ability.

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2022, 03:41:37 pm »
Of cource, but actually I think many modmakers would use this ability.
But time I spend on implementing this feature, I could spend on may other changes that be even critical for some mods.
Of fixing some critical bug that break everything.

Not mention that this could end up like current shotgun handling that effective PREVENT some features that other wise would be simple to implement.

Conclusion is that possible usage by modders of some feature is irrelevant, only important is cost what is required to implement it and what new possibilities it give.

Offline x-com_player

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2022, 05:03:33 pm »
Conclusion is that possible usage by modders of some feature is irrelevant, only important is cost what is required to implement it and what new possibilities it give.
If talking about possabilities, its a possability by itself. Shooting in a row is interesting, I mean its value by itself.
In 'X-Com Files ' mod there is some kind of burst shooting but its made  as a single shot and shoot looks like bunch of bullets. Something like that.

I understand that I cant ask developers what I want, so that is just a question if its possible to implement.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2022, 05:42:45 pm by x-com_player »

Offline eclecticbibliophile

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2022, 06:11:29 pm »
You could make a bullet sprite that looks like three bullets, and triple the damage of the shot

Online Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2022, 11:35:33 pm »
If talking about possabilities, its a possability by itself. Shooting in a row is interesting, I mean its value by itself.
In 'X-Com Files ' mod there is some kind of burst shooting but its made  as a single shot and shoot looks like bunch of bullets. Something like that.

I understand that I cant ask developers what I want, so that is just a question if its possible to implement.
every thing is possible to implement, full 3d graphic, dynamic object collapse, active FPS view, YouTube feed, Twitch integration, you name it.
But cost of some of them is so big that its not worth even consider (who will pay it?).

and your suggestion is similar to this, not so over the top but cost a lot as do not fit current engine and would require lot of change to make it happens.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2022, 12:06:15 am »
every thing is possible to implement, full 3d graphic, dynamic object collapse, active FPS view, YouTube feed, Twitch integration, you name it.
But cost of some of them is so big that its not worth even consider (who will pay it?).

and your suggestion is similar to this, not so over the top but cost a lot as do not fit current engine and would require lot of change to make it happens.

Put real life aliens commanding the game aliens.
Checkmate.