Author Topic: This game rocks  (Read 10827 times)

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
  • Chrysalis are people too
    • View Profile
This game rocks
« on: September 13, 2021, 03:42:34 am »
Just want to share my love for this game and share my history with it. I bought this game around 1996 for PlayStation 1. I honestly didn't even think I would like it because its graphics were a little behind what Sony was coming out with for the PS1. but as I played it more and more, I began to love it. Im still playing it now using GOG or DOD or something on PC windows 8. I also have TFTD and the third one (apocalypse I believe), which is ridiculously hard but the first one i keep going back to over and over again. Every few years I beat it again. like an old friend.

Anyway, Do the mods work on the version i use ?
Thanks for letting me join.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: This game rocks
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 11:17:47 am »
Hi.

No, the OpenXcom mods do not work with the original game.

You need OpenXcom to play OpenXcom mods.

Offline NancyGold

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 03:25:01 pm »
I too first played XCOM on PSX. But as I understand the port is basically identical to the DOS version, except the pre-rendered music, instead of MIDI.

The most different XCOM version would be the Amiga one. And it differs in not a good way. Still Amiga has exclusive version of other Gollops' games.

Then Russian pirates have made a ZX Spectrum XCOM port, and it is just something:

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 06:42:27 pm »
Port?? this is completely different game with some surface level similarities.
Aside from that, on its own, look like advanced game for this system, lot of work was used to create it.

Offline NancyGold

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 10:26:54 pm »
Port?? this is completely different game with some surface level similarities.
Aside from that, on its own, look like advanced game for this system, lot of work was used to create it.

That is what actually "different" version looks like. And it uses actual XCOM sprites, like that skull explosion. But I guess writing proper geoscape, and tactical AI was too much of an effort, so they made it into an action game.

There was also a Sega Genesis port of 1992 game Spellcraft, which had almost nothing to do with the original. Original Spellcraft is really similar to Gallop's Magic & Mayhem and the later Sacrifice, spiced with adventure game elements, while the Sega port is an action game, having only superficial resemblance to the DOS version.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 11:29:17 pm »
That is what actually "different" version looks like. And it uses actual XCOM sprites, like that skull explosion. But I guess writing proper geoscape, and tactical AI was too much of an effort, so they made it into an action game.
"actual XCOM sprites"? no, how 8bit graphic can be same as 1bit? Not mention different dimensions. Graphic is only inspired by XCom graphic.
When we would remove all this resemblance this game would not have nearly nothing in common with XCom.
I would more consider http://xcomrl.blogspot.com/ a "port" than this game. At lest both are turn based games with 3d map.

There was also a Sega Genesis port of 1992 game Spellcraft, which had almost nothing to do with the original. Original Spellcraft is really similar to Gallop's Magic & Mayhem and the later Sacrifice, spiced with adventure game elements, while the Sega port is an action game, having only superficial resemblance to the DOS version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_5RFNo2Y7o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO8Mwx4n0XU
This games? Only looking on this two videos I see lot of similarities in game play, or at least parts when player character move on map.
It very possible that Sega version is simply trim down version of original game.

Offline NancyGold

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 07:41:06 pm »
how 8bit graphic can be same as 1bit? Not mention different dimensions. Graphic is only inspired by XCom graphic.
Yeah it is inspired. But the sprites do look "traced" or just downscaled and cleaned up.

This games? Only looking on this two videos I see lot of similarities in game play, or at least parts when player character move on map.
It very possible that Sega version is simply trim down version of original game.
Yup. The SNES version is completely different, and is closer to earlier game The Immortal. Again, the original is a bit too complex game, both to port and to find audience among the little SNES kids, who are not hardcore D&D nerds. You see even the person demonstrating the original DOS version of the game couldn't grasp what is required to do. And it only gets more obscure.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 08:06:00 pm by NashGold »

Offline cptelerium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 04:16:30 am »

Wow.

Of course this isn't "port" but completely different game, still I find it kinda interesting (not to play, but just the fact it exists)

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2021, 09:59:07 pm »
Oh my gosh, I thought i was the only one who was this obsessed with this game. I feel amongst friends. With that being said, I beat the original game last night. However with a bit of sadness, I lost Captain Webber Hamburger. I stuck a post it to my PC (A plaque to commemorate his service fighting the evil alien menace). He was taken far too soon at the hands of a chrysalis. What hurts even worse is I have to take him out myself. But I let his family know, he lost his life saving the world...

Anyway, thank you guys and girls for all your reply's. I'm getting ready to install the open x com patch.
but a few questions first.

Do i apply the patch first, then install open x com ?

I'm using this on dos box so everything is located in C:\GOG Games\XCOM UFO Defense.

Thank you so  much for all your help.

Offline cptelerium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2021, 11:15:33 pm »
I feel amongst friends. With that being said, I beat the original game last night.
Great. You mean the original DOS version? Nowdays I almost can't play it, due to poor GUI (esp mouse is bad) and also the glitches are kinda annoying.

I'm getting ready to install the open x com patch.
but a few questions first.
Do i apply the patch first, then install open x com ?

I'm using this on dos box so everything is located in C:\GOG Games\XCOM UFO Defense.

Thank you so  much for all your help.

OpenXCOM is not "a patch" for the DOS game, it is complete rewrite. Actually it seems there are two versions of the complete rewrite:

- OpenXCOM

- OXCE - adds far more things

Anyway, you install them as a new program, they will prompt about location of the original game so they can copy the datafiles (resources graphics maps etc) of the game.

There are also big mods here, one was The Final Mod modpack (but now discontinued?) which seems to be kinda replaced by the XCom Files megamod.  There are also complete rewrites that change it to other game (but same mechanics) like the X-Pirates thing.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 05:14:24 pm »
Great. You mean the original DOS version? Nowdays I almost can't play it, due to poor GUI (esp mouse is bad) and also the glitches are kinda annoying.

OpenXCOM is not "a patch" for the DOS game, it is complete rewrite. Actually it seems there are two versions of the complete rewrite:

- OpenXCOM

- OXCE - adds far more things

Anyway, you install them as a new program, they will prompt about location of the original game so they can copy the datafiles (resources graphics maps etc) of the game.

There are also big mods here, one was The Final Mod modpack (but now discontinued?) which seems to be kinda replaced by the XCom Files megamod.  There are also complete rewrites that change it to other game (but same mechanics) like the X-Pirates thing.

Thank you for your helpful info.
When i click on the Downloads page, it defaults to "Milestones" / Latest patch.
I wondering if i have to use that patch first before installing. Or is that patch the Open X com ?

Thanks again. i really appreciate the help.
I should probably do some more research myself before asking any of you to feed me info (my apologies) I'm just slightly confused.

Also agree, the original version, the mouse movements are horrible. Laggy graphics, etc.

Thanks

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2021, 08:16:49 pm »
When i click on the Downloads page, it defaults to "Milestones" / Latest patch.
I wondering if i have to use that patch first before installing. Or is that patch the Open X com ?

To install OpenXcom you don't need to run the original X-Com you just want a few of the files from it moved into folders in the OpenXcom directory.

The Data Patch corrects errors that were in these original games files.

This patch is for use with OpenXcom not the original game.

To install OpenXcom you need to:
. Install regular X-Com.
. Move several files from X-Com's directory to your OpenXcom directory's UFO and/or TFTD directory.
. Apply the Data Patch. (There is a patch.txt file in the unzipped patch's folder, it contains install instructions.)

Here is an install guide for installing OpenXcom Extended (Which is a version of OpenXcom with some changes and additional features.)

The steps are almost the same for installing both versions so perhaps it will help you?
(For your purpose just consider every mention of the file OpenXcomEx as OpenXcom.)

Anyway, Do the mods work on the version i use ?

Some of the larger mods require OpenXcom Extended to run, for example:
. The X-Com Files
. XPiratez
. 40K
. UNEXCOM
. The World of (terrifying) silence
. From the Apocalypse
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 08:23:39 pm by The Martian »

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2021, 12:03:42 am »
Thank you kindly. I am very grateful for the help.

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2021, 03:24:26 am »
Thank you kindly. I am very grateful for the help.

Your post was very helpful. But i tried today and had no luck.
It's all on me, my fault. Im missing something.

I should mention, im using DOSBOX for the original game. I do have the files though,
It just wouldnt open when i ran the exe.

Thanks again for all your help

Offline Chuckebaby

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2021, 01:49:36 pm »
I figured it out. I instead installed OXCE to desktop. then copied my files over. havent installed patches yet but so far all is working great. I'm really impressed with the mods. the depth is amazing.