aliens

Author Topic: [TC] [OXCE] [WIP] - OXC FACTIONS ( AKA Alien Civil War)  (Read 76026 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
[TC] [OXCE] [WIP] - OXC FACTIONS ( AKA Alien Civil War)
« on: January 01, 2019, 08:33:22 am »
After many years of doing odds and ends, this will be my first Total Conversion ( maybe Total Conversion is the wrong words as you will see below), OXC Factions is an idea i have been thinking about since 2013 when i started making my first recoloured aliens and Civilians with Guns,until now, i was unsure as to how i would pull  it all together without upsetting people by breaking the X-com Lore but with inspiration from StarTrek, its actually really easy, this is a alternate timeline/dimension where the aliens won the war ( see Easy, if StarTrek can do it, so can X-com) :P I was going to keep this secret until i at least had all new maps built but its quickly becoming a bigger job than i realised and i may need help from the community moving forward, so lets go public.

Aims of OXC-Factions:
  • To borrow assets from TFTD and merge with Xcom in a new time period both above and below water
  • To be able to play with some alien units as part of your squad ( and eventually have a separate ruleset to play as a alien faction or Human factions)
  • To expand the game for replay-ability but still try to keep it as simple as possible for new players .

General Story line (its kinda rough at the moment as i am a mapbuilder, not a story teller but i am sure you guys will help me shape  the story as i progress):
During the First war, the Aliens noticed Xcom had adapted their technology to use against them and signalled for aid from T'leth. Forced to fight on two fronts, Xcom was eventually overrun and the Aliens took over the earth. Once in control they destroyed all major cities, rounded up and enslaved as many humans as they could find & started their Terra-forming activities on the earth. 50 years on ( give or take) the aliens loose all contact with Cydonia and any vessel they send to investigate is never heard from again. Without the orders of the Brain, the Aliens start fighting amounts them selves and form separate factions, each thinking it is there time time to rule the Solar System. In the ensuing chaos, a small group of humans rise up to liberate themselves from Alien Rule.

Note: i actually wanted this to be a Open game with each faction a separate AI fighting with each other over Geoscape and forming Alliances via screen (similar to Apoc just simplified) but without major code re-writes that can not happen, as such i will build what i can into the exisiting system and see how close i can make it feel.

RoadMap:
0.1 - Create basic game for testing of new mapblocks ( i have Import most of the TFTD aliens,ships & weapons  but am having issues working out what sound is used for what and fixed it, if your a TFTD expert and want to help let me know)
0.2 - Create trial MCD & Map sets for each new map type ( lots of NEW alien Cities, Bases and new map concepts). Also Create new Geoscape World with Lower sea level, wreckage from first war ( downed craft,  Nuke waste land, destroyed cities ETC) & Alien Forests.
0.3 - Working out which aliens are part of which factions ( and which factions have Human Allies), and how many new sprites i need to create or borrow from others
0.4 - Finish building all maps ( including any Faction specific terrain & new Xcom Base layout) and create "Luke Expanded USO" for TFTD ships ( this will be 6 months work here at least).
0.5 - cleanup Rulesets and workout best layout ot move forward that allows future expansion of the mod with new Factions,weapons & craft.
0.6 - start building mission scripts
0.7 - Work on game Balance and Bug Fixes
0.8 - Research Tree & UFOPedia
0.9 - Bring in END game faction
1.0 - playable Mod
2.0 will have a separate rule file for a "Play as Aliens" option, including new Base and Missions.

Active Contributors:
Efrenespartano
Alinare
Noah

OXC Factions also has a Channel on the IDT Discord server, please check it out below:
https://discord.gg/PRwRhbS
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 11:11:06 pm by luke83 »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: [TC] [OXCE] - OXC FACTIONS
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 08:33:46 am »
If anyone wants to help shape this mod please let me know, still need help with the following:

Ruleset help
TechTree
Story Arc
Create Story/Backgrounds for Factions
New units to Expand each faction ( i have made some and Borrowed many but until i know what faction everyone is part off nothing is set in stone)
Game Balance
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 05:00:14 am by luke83 »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 08:38:46 am »
Ah, Is nice to start a new year with news from your TC mod, mate. Looking forward to see further development.

Any ask for help just ask. :D

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 09:20:55 am »
Ah, Is nice to start a new year with news from your TC mod, mate. Looking forward to see further development.

Any ask for help just ask. :D

Thanks mate, i am trying not to ask you for to much help as i want to see your other TC finished so i can play them :) I am hoping some others within the community will like my idea enough to help but if they dont  i will just soldier on without them :)  I will be starting that Globe this week, i am sure there will be some questions coming your way soon

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: [TC] [OXCE] [WIP] - OXC FACTIONS
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 01:26:17 pm »
So, your plan is to make a Piratez-style game but more serious? Sounds good.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 01:28:20 pm »
So, your plan is to make a Piratez-style game but more serious? Sounds good.

Yes, a few less boobs perhaps :)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2019, 09:27:08 pm »
lot of OXC or OXCE development years to do it, or months or weeks or hours even. :-\Don't forget about your old Asgard mod as well since i've read all of it earlier before 2019. -_-?
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6705.0.html
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6705.msg107808.html#msg107808

I Know its overkill but the Aliens will be using: UFO, USO &  the Pyramid UFOs ( these Pyramid USO are Mobile bases so they are used for various maps as well).
There is a separate Group that appears halfway through the game ( and is the reason Mars went quiet) & will be using the Asgard UFOs :)  This separate group is the End Game Enemy.

Variety is the Spice of life and if nothing else this Mod will be spicy  ;D

Although lorebreaking kinda 48% obnoxious and 78% outright to do, unless you have your own way of making a custom XCOM lore (including an alternate timeline, dimension or universe so as we speak) instead of using the official 90s lore or 2010s-20s lore as far as we comply on.
Yep, i could see no other way around it, had to be different Timeline, since both Xcom 1 & 2 are basically the same game, some things will need to be changed, its a world where Elerium is becoming increasinly rare due to mars being cut off but they still have Zbrite, some lore will need to be broken or at least bent to have some sort of sense.

That will mean civil for the aliens, or some aliens getting human/hybrid alies in their needs of a civil war against separate or main factions.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 10:51:51 pm by luke83 »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [TC] [OXCE] [WIP] - OXC FACTIONS ( AKA Alien Civil War)
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2019, 11:06:51 pm »
One of the last things I was working on before going on vacation, was to color PCKs, both the white version of PLANE.pck for the plane that had shown you and alinare, as well as a green version (for UNEXCOM) and another gray (for Hobbes's Tech-Comm) of your UFO Pyramids.

As soon as I finish, I'll send it to you so you can make secret bases for your project. :D

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 03:05:44 am »
Need to pick a colour to replace for nuclear fallout zones also and then Terraformed earth Version 1 will be ready to go.

Update : Nuke Zones added
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 04:57:20 am by luke83 »

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 03:08:34 am »
Need to pick a colour to replace for nuclear fallout zones also and then Terraformed earth Version 1 will be ready to go.

Niceeeeee! I like this!

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2019, 05:46:03 am »
I have some default soldier classes setup and have a test naming convention setup so i can always see what kind of soldier they are, i was going to make this standard however i am unsure how confusing this will be for people who speak something other than English...  for speakers other than English, does the names get translated into local language ( and if so would this be confusing) or is there a better way of doing this?

The below soldier is a Brawler so i have used (BRAW)

Like most Australians, we struggle with out first laungage( which is why we shorten EVERYTHING) so i thought i better  think about everyone else  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDb_WsAt_Z0
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 05:50:08 am by luke83 »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2019, 01:55:29 pm »
Good to see you back in business, Luke! You were here before most of us, and laid down some of the basic work we all use nowadays, like expanded UFOs. Good luck with your great project!

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2019, 09:56:09 pm »
Still have more Terraforming to do, especially now that all those dry lake and exposed ocean floor can have TFTD added to it

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 10:02:51 pm »
That's an amazing terrain for something done so cheaply. Now it would be easy to do tile substitution of sea sand to normal desert and mountains to make more variety of this dry lake terrain (which can also be salt lake/post-agricultural salt desert).

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 10:07:28 pm »
That's an amazing terrain for something done so cheaply. Now it would be easy to do tile substitution of sea sand to normal desert and mountains to make more variety of this dry lake terrain (which can also be salt lake/post-agricultural salt desert).
Yep, my thinking also, this was  like 10 mins work to get this one set brought in, best of all i didnt have to modify any Routes ( i hate doing routes!!!!!!) My ZOmbies with  Guns took Way longer to make :) Though i bet Hobbes has already plundered these over the years and built them into his Mapsets ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 07:09:02 am by luke83 »