Author Topic: [OLD] Old OXCE+ discussion thread  (Read 720664 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [OXCE+] Original discussion thread
« Reply #1620 on: August 19, 2018, 11:48:42 pm »
@Reaver overkill is functionality that allow to disintegrate unit when hit with powerful attack. Useful to gib zombies with nukes and dont worried by new chrysalids.
Neat. So is all of the overkill damage applied to the spawn unit?

How does unit disintegration work? Does it enable it to use a different kill animation once overkill damage reaches a certain threshold?

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: August 20, 2018, 12:12:18 am »
No, new spawn unit always start with full health. Overkill make that nothing left to spawn anything, even including inventory item or corpse.

Each armor have defined threshold at with nothing is spawn and rest of damage is apply to inventory.
By default unit fade to black when overkill but you can disable this in recolor scripts and replace dying animation using other script.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: August 20, 2018, 03:11:08 am »
Is there a way to have an armor give the soldier night vision instead of a personal light source?

Also, is there a way to make the armor more or less visible to the aliens at night?

And how do I reduce the aliens' ability to see my soldiers at night? I set their armors' visibilityAtDark value lower but it didn't work, which I assume is because my soldiers are generating light.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 03:20:50 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: August 20, 2018, 10:42:49 am »
Is there a way to have an armor give the soldier night vision instead of a personal light source?

First set your preferred global maximum range.
Vanilla has 20, piratez has 40... I would recommend 30 or less.

Then use visibilityAtDay and visibilityAtDark to set night/day vision per armor (up to global maximum).

Also, is there a way to make the armor more or less visible to the aliens at night?

"camouflageAtDark"

And how do I reduce the aliens' ability to see my soldiers at night? I set their armors' visibilityAtDark value lower but it didn't work, which I assume is because my soldiers are generating light.

Yes, if you generate light the "*Day" attributes apply.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: August 20, 2018, 11:08:41 am »
Yes, if you generate light the "*Day" attributes apply.

What do you mean? You mean to say that in the original "personalLight: 15" the soldiers had only because all the aliens saw at night just as during the day and the backlight did not matter?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: August 20, 2018, 11:21:27 am »
What do you mean? You mean to say that in the original "personalLight: 15" the soldiers had only because all the aliens saw at night just as during the day and the backlight did not matter?

Yes.

Btw. Original xcom and also vanilla OpenXcom don't even have "personalLight" attribute... this was introduced in OXCE.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: August 20, 2018, 01:33:14 pm »
Are you saying I have to turn off the lights on the soldiers in order to make aliens unable to see them? That would be problematic, as I would be unable to see the aliens and the map, even though my soldiers can see fine!

I think of the soldier light radius not as an actual light source they are carrying, but as their ability to see things that are close to them. It is for that reason that the aliens should ignore the light your soldiers are "generating" and use their night vision attributes as if your soldiers were not generating light.

Otherwise, there needs to be a way to see the battlescape without generating light on it, or else night vision armor does not work.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: August 20, 2018, 01:39:16 pm »
Are you saying I have to turn off the lights on the soldiers in order to make aliens unable to see them?

Yes.

That would be problematic, as I would be unable to see the aliens and the map, even though my soldiers can see fine!

That's why we have implemented night vision mode in OXCE+ (it produces monochromatic light that doesn't illuminate... press Scroll-Lock to activate).

I think of the soldier light radius not as an actual light source they are carrying, but as their ability to see things that are close to them. It is for that reason that the aliens should ignore the light your soldiers are "generating" and use their night vision attributes as if your soldiers were not generating light.

I agree, but that's not how xcom works...

Otherwise, there needs to be a way to see the battlescape without generating light on it, or else night vision armor does not work.

Night vision mode.

Offline Ethereal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: August 20, 2018, 02:28:07 pm »
I do not know why, but the Night Vision mode can be activated by holding the "space" button.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: August 20, 2018, 02:40:20 pm »
I do not know why, but the Night Vision mode can be activated by holding the "space" button.

Yes, holding Space or pressing ScrollLock activates night vision... both are configurable in options.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: August 20, 2018, 04:18:09 pm »
One thing that is mildly inconvenient about night vision is that, although it allows you to see either only the terrain in your units' vision range or all terrain, toggling between these modes can only be done via the options menu. Both modes have their use but switching between them is a lot of effort.

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: August 20, 2018, 05:02:30 pm »
One thing that is mildly inconvenient about night vision is that, although it allows you to see either only the terrain in your units' vision range or all terrain, toggling between these modes can only be done via the options menu. Both modes have their use but switching between them is a lot of effort.

The option to see all (discovered) terrain is not intended to be used really, terrain in vision range is the feature as designed.

I left the user option in there for testing purposes on slow machines... since it is faster when we don't have to check each tile's visibility by all units every frame.

But after more than a year, nobody complained, so I will be removing that option soon-ish.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: August 20, 2018, 05:17:54 pm »
The option to see all (discovered) terrain is not intended to be used really, terrain in vision range is the feature as designed.

I left the user option in there for testing purposes on slow machines... since it is faster when we don't have to check each tile's visibility by all units every frame.

But after more than a year, nobody complained, so I will be removing that option soon-ish.

Alright then. The full-terrain mode can be nice because it lets you see where the trees and buildings are a bit better, which can be useful to see where you can throw things etc. Having said that I mostly just use the vision range mode.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: August 20, 2018, 08:45:02 pm »
That's why we have implemented night vision mode in OXCE+ (it produces monochromatic light that doesn't illuminate... press Scroll-Lock to activate).
That's what I needed. Thanks.

P.S.: Linking it to scroll lock is a bad idea. Of course I can change it but anyone who intends to maintain a scroll lock setting would need to change it, and I expect we're not an extreme minority.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: August 20, 2018, 08:59:41 pm »
I use full terrain mode. And set toggle untoggle with space.

But I'm confident in the developers decisions  :)