aliens

Author Topic: Zombie Horde mission? (Idea)  (Read 2192 times)

Offline 8mono

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Zombie Horde mission? (Idea)
« on: April 16, 2021, 06:43:00 pm »
Just like those men in black reinforcement missions is it possible to have multiple waves (as in, lets say 3 reinforcements , 1 spawning every 5 turns or something) either for zombies which would make sense but I'm not sure how balanced you could make it (Id still have fun) OR like that one protect the VIP mission (which is honestly one of most fun missions to do for me when properly equipped) but the enemies come in waves rather than spawn all at once, you'd eventually either win by defeating a stupidly large amount of enemies OR you pull out if you can't handle it, I'm not entirely sure what the point of an endless defense mission would be, it's more of a what if scenario.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Zombie Horde mission? (Idea)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 07:34:36 pm »
Yeah, can be done. Defend your positions for X turns, until choppers arrive?

I'll add it to my notes.

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 02:46:59 am »
Reinforcement mechanics in general should be utilized more and mission types like these are perfect for it. It will also be a place where mines and prox grenades will shine.

It would also make sense if it existed for missions like when XCOM discovers a lair that is just churning out these creatures and XCOM decided to draw them out and shoot them, so creatures are coming in waves from the caves.

Or when local autorities alert XCOM about a large wave of creatures that are running towards a city so XCOM decided to make a barricade on a road to pick them off before they could enter the city.

It could also be used for X-Dimension incursions if the "reinforcement" spawn point could have some visual effects like flashes or dimensional sparks and it could also mean that they would spawn randomly on the map rather than from set spawn points at the edges.

Offline 8mono

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 07:12:41 pm »
Reinforcement mechanics in general should be utilized more and mission types like these are perfect for it. It will also be a place where mines and prox grenades will shine.

It would also make sense if it existed for missions like when XCOM discovers a lair that is just churning out these creatures and XCOM decided to draw them out and shoot them, so creatures are coming in waves from the caves.

Or when local autorities alert XCOM about a large wave of creatures that are running towards a city so XCOM decided to make a barricade on a road to pick them off before they could enter the city.

It could also be used for X-Dimension incursions if the "reinforcement" spawn point could have some visual effects like flashes or dimensional sparks and it could also mean that they would spawn randomly on the map rather than from set spawn points at the edges.

That's exactly what I wanted with regards to mines and more stationary equipment, I think I only used one of the anti-personnel mines ONCE in one of the underwater missions

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2021, 01:11:39 am »
That's exactly what I wanted with regards to mines and more stationary equipment, I think I only used one of the anti-personnel mines ONCE in one of the underwater missions

They are perfect for alien base raids and Lotus HQ, especially the HQ because Ninjas and their low spotting range, so its just better to mine every door and corridor in case of them trying to melee your troops.

Offline 8mono

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 09:43:16 pm »
They are perfect for alien base raids and Lotus HQ, especially the HQ because Ninjas and their low spotting range, so its just better to mine every door and corridor in case of them trying to melee your troops.

Yeah im starting to try out more of the weapons i've previously missed, the problem with the mines is how heavy they are they feel more like anti-tank mines, I don't recall you being able to throw them that far away, I'd actually prefer to have like a lighter throwable (claymore?) but I guess thats where the proximity grenade would shine (which I've yet to try) I've had to deal with ninjas by having an X-rat appointed to the base near Asia/Europe

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2021, 08:37:40 am »

Yeah im starting to try out more of the weapons i've previously missed, the problem with the mines is how heavy they are they feel more like anti-tank mines, I don't recall you being able to throw them that far away, I'd actually prefer to have like a lighter throwable (claymore?) but I guess thats where the proximity grenade would shine (which I've yet to try) I've had to deal with ninjas by having an X-rat appointed to the base near Asia/Europe

For sure, some lighter variation accessible even earlier than a mine would be useful.
Actually, mines were buffed recently, they now damage TU's so they are more useful than ever for ensuring if enemy doesnt get blown to thousand pieces he wont likely do much.

In certain missions, you can always pre-prime mines before the mission so your agent can go over his carry capacity since he only needs to throw them and move a little to turn a corridor in to a death trap.
Just...make sure you dont leave a primed mine lying on the weapon pile... that would be quite the fiery suprise for your whole team at turn 1.