aliens

Author Topic: what happened to "The Two Sides" art work?  (Read 32915 times)

Offline LCSand

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: what happened to "The Two Sides" art work?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 08:57:45 pm »
and that is why at the end of the year they are going to release that stupid FPS (sorry i hate FPS) :) i am too old to keep up with the young kids  >:(
It will probably be better than X-Com Enforcer though. And I say that without having seen anything of the new game or even hearing about it before....

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 06:12:17 am »
i understand what you are saying but you can't copyright drawing a grenade or a pistol or a rifle, you can copyright your drawing of a grenade, pistol or rifle, so anyone can draw their own, when copyright comes into place is when you are using the original art work or something that will mislead people into believing that your artwork is the original artwork. And don't worry i know exactly that most of the time logic does not apply IP law :)
for example Xenonauts, is a derivative work, but no one in their right mind will say that they are violating any copyright, implementation is key :)

If some of the new graphics are based on the original graphics, either by sharing certain pixels, being recolours, or even something more subtle, then arguably laws about derivitive works apply. I doubt the owners of the XCOM IP would care and would probably even consider such derivative works positive, especially in a project that requires you buy their game to install it.

Granted anything that is obviously not based on XCOM IP should be okay to use, but for instance my soldier customisation images that I'm working on? They're not necessarily okay in every country. (They'd probably be ruled fair use in some, but that's not really the point.

However any derivative work may not be compatible with OpenXcom's license and may be vulnerable to takedown notices.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 09:32:39 am »
I could ask a lawyer if you really want (friend of sister in law), but I'm afraid to get laughed at :p And it probably applies to Belgium law, so I don't know how useful that is to whatever other country the guy creating art work is in?

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 10:56:55 am »
Here is link to a Australian PDF about software copyright

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.copyright.org.au%2Fadmin%2Fcms-acc1%2F_images%2F8989897644f39b2f0028fb.pdf&ei=umj2UOK4KcqXiQew_IHYAg&usg=AFQjCNEstcLoj-x44nFiscbIEk38-GDUFQ&sig2=pI6STnY-Y2pe95MvQTDCNA&bvm=bv.41018144,d.aGc&cad=rja

This is interesting

" i have created an enhanced version of existing software. Do I own copyright in the
improved version?

Software derived from another existing piece of software is likely to be separately protected by
copyright. The owner of copyright in the new version is likely to be the person who created it.
However, the copyright in the improved version will be subject to the copyright in the underlying
software, and you will not be able to use or exploit the enhanced version without permission from
the owner of copyright in the underlying software.
"

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 11:02:40 am »
" i have created an enhanced version of existing software. Do I own copyright in the
improved version?

Software derived from another existing piece of software is likely to be separately protected by
copyright. The owner of copyright in the new version is likely to be the person who created it.
However, the copyright in the improved version will be subject to the copyright in the underlying
software, and you will not be able to use or exploit the enhanced version without permission from
the owner of copyright in the underlying software.
"
Hmmm, that sounds more like if you "modified" existing software (reference to "underlying software"), not a recreation.

Volutar

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 11:10:12 am »
Anyways, that's quite logical. If they want to "disallow" of hires sprites using, they must request for permission to use original sprites beforehand.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 11:27:58 am »
then again, to use the derivative work (= hi-res sprites), you'd have to ask permission of the original author first, right? :)

I would think that the UFO2000 UFO:TTS crew didn't have permission to distribute their graphics in the first place. and they would need that, since the sprites are heavily based off of the original sprites. so if we wanted to use them, we would have to ask permission of both the owner of the original art (2K Software, isn't it?) and the creators of the derivative work (the UFO2000 UFO:TTS crew).
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:46:23 am by moriarty »

Volutar

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 11:31:30 am »
moriarty, you mean ufo2000 original graphics? It have very little in common with xcom1 graphics. Very little. I don't see it being anyhow "derivative"

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 11:45:32 am »
oops, sorry, not UFO2000, I meant UFO:TTS. I'm getting all those remake-attempts mixed up  :o

Offline xracer

• Commander
  • X-COM lover, we've gone at it everywhere
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 03:58:45 pm »
yeah is getting to the point that keeping track of XCOM remakes, is not logical :)

Now on point, it would be nice if someone just made new sprites keep the same feel maybe modify the jumpsuit to a more common uniform, change the alien sprites, although the sectoids are basic folklore so i "assume" just creating a different type of "grey" will be ok.

So long as the art work is not trying to completely mimic the previous sprites, it could still be "based" of the original artwork. That is if the game becomes a "spiritual successor" of XCOM :) implementation is key

Volutar

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 04:15:33 pm »
xracer, that's exactly what I wanted to do when I started to think over my "nexgen xcom" project.

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 06:59:28 pm »
xracer, that's exactly what I wanted to do when I started to think over my "nexgen xcom" project.

Let me know when you are ready to start :) i already have written a manifesto about it :D

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 11:28:57 am »
Let me know when you are ready to start :) i already have written a manifesto about it :D
Hasn't every xcom fan such a "my nextgen xcom" in his head? :)

Offline pmprog

• Commander
  • Contributor
    • View Profile
    • Polymath Programming
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 11:34:13 am »
Mmmmm, tough one - I have a couple of xcom-esque, but not an xcom project per-se  ;)

Offline xracer

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 07:21:56 pm »

hahaha i guess that is true, but hey we all can dream right!!!!

and yeah a project you need more than your ideas :) if ideas where only necessary then i got project galore. Although i did even create a website at one point and was trying to lure a dev team, but with no programming skills of my own that became rather complicated :D