aliens

Author Topic: Quick question about the sharing tech research  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Longbaugh

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Quick question about the sharing tech research
« on: November 17, 2020, 06:57:10 pm »
Are there any downsides to sharing this tech with others via the research option?

Offline akk1990

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Quick question about the sharing tech research
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 10:31:10 pm »
Are there any downsides to sharing this tech with others via the research option?

You get a decrease in council points.

The amount can vary, but giving away certain techs can lead to massive decreases in council points (up to -1500 for some).

And the 'rewards' arent always fantastic either.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 03:47:16 pm »
Sharing tech can also spawn new missions about people being very unhappy with your decision and trying to smear your organization. You have to take them down, preferably with non-lethal measures, but the protestors are as what you expect from RL. Certain enemy factions also may starting use some of said "shared tech" due the black market taking advantage of the situation.
IMO it is worth doing it, if only because there's no downside besides extra missions and a score penalty. I hope that in the future the decision to share tech with shady corporations becomes its own story arc in this mod, or something like that.

Funnily enough that's what you did in classic XCOM and Nu-XCOM, selling alien tech to third shady parties. In the "modern" XCOM, you even receive messages of places like Russia repurposing the alien tech you sold them for their police forces.   :D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 03:24:58 pm »
I also plan to add new negative events in case of you selling tech, but I haven't got around to do that yet. ;)