aliens

Author Topic: I need help with getting started. Probably I'm looking for a particular mod.  (Read 1708 times)

Offline BlorkTheOrk

• Captain
    • View Profile
So, hello OpenXcom forums, I'm new here and I am up to searching for some way to start making mods.

After playing for a few months in XPiratez I realised that XCOM of 1993 has some excelent capabilities of making such stuff. So, I want to make a mod about giant robots, but I believe I saw somebody posting about making such mod somewhere here, or at .io site. So, the questions I want to ask:

1. Is it still in progress, so I can join and help? 
2. This one I probably has to search around, and I didn't yer, but I want to ask for any tips for a modder to start with, like what soft I need to make the mod.

Thank You.

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
Welcome to the OpenXcom forums BlorkTheOrk!

1. Is it still in progress, so I can join and help?

A giant robot mod? I don't think that I have encounter that one yet. It is an interesting idea though.

Do you remember anything else about it that could help track down the mod's name?

2. This one I probably has to search around, and I didn't yer, but I want to ask for any tips for a modder to start with, like what soft I need to make the mod.

My advice is to take a look at the code contained in the .rul files found in the Final Mod Pack.

That mod doesn't have any scripting (I think) and it has very easy to understand inner workings so I've found that it makes an excellent tutorial for modding.

If you have a code editor program that supports YAML editing the .rul files and creating a mod shouldn't be a problem. (Notepad++ for example)

Luke83 has made some good guides available that cover a variety of topics including some of the tools used for map editing, you can find links to them in THIS POST.

Also the 'Ruleset Reference Nightly' page found on the UFOpaedia site is VERY useful and contains a reference of all the variables that you can alter using .rul files.

Good luck with your future project. ^_^

Offline BlorkTheOrk

• Captain
    • View Profile
Thank you for the response.
1. I'm quite sure that I saw a giant robot mod mention somewhere. Now I wonder if it was for the 2012 line of games. I can't find it there either.
2. Thank you for the info about the game assets. I guess I'll try to do something next week.