Author Topic: Extra rounds for Milkor MGL and GL  (Read 3271 times)

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Extra rounds for Milkor MGL and GL
« on: September 16, 2020, 12:49:21 am »
So in real life, the Milkor MGL actually fires the same rounds (40mm dia x 43 mm long grenades) as the grenade launcher. The rounds are loaded in a drum very like a revolver. The power of the HE rounds were adjusted to match the GL individual rounds and may be released by Solarius on the next update.

Thus a submod was prepared that makes six-round clips for every available round of the Grenade Launcher. The sprite of these clips were modified to reflect this.

In addition, a less-than-lethal round (colored blue) was developed for both the Grenade Launcher and the Milkor MGL.

And finally, extra manufacturing items were added such as the player can convert 6 rounds of the GL into 1 clip of the Milkor, and vice versa.

Comments are appreciated.

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Extra rounds for Milkor MGL and GL
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 02:35:18 pm »
If grenades are the same, the same should be their weight I suppose. 6 Milcor nades = 8 w.u., 1 GL nade = 3 w.u... You got the idea.  :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 03:10:19 pm »
If grenades are the same, the same should be their weight I suppose. 6 Milcor nades = 8 w.u., 1 GL nade = 3 w.u... You got the idea.  :)

No, the weight is more logarithmic than additive... Else a human body wouldn't weigh as much as 12 grenades.

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2020, 10:22:38 pm »
No, the weight is more logarithmic than additive... Else a human body wouldn't weigh as much as 12 grenades.
aw cmon, log weight is just gonna complicate stuff a lot... and it doesn't add up properly.
linear weight makes much more sense...

that being said, since gameplay > reality, i could totally live with a 6pack of nades weighting as much as 3 or 4 single ones...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 11:21:17 am »
aw cmon, log weight is just gonna complicate stuff a lot... and it doesn't add up properly.

It's been like this since 1994, and now suddenlu it's a problem?

linear weight makes much more sense...

Saint Gollop disagrees. :)

Also, I can't imagine things working linearly... Either you would be unable to pick up a body, or you could carry virtually any amount of equipment in mass.

EDIT: I have integrated the submod. Thank you, Alex!
I did it pretty much as is, except:
- I did not include the disassembly projects (pack to single grenades). They're rather superfluous, as this isn't Piratez and we can just buy stuff normally, no need for jury-rigging. Therefore these projects are kind of a bloat. If it's something people genuinely need, I'll reconsider.
- Some selling prices were pretty exorbitant (due to the x6 multiplier), which would probably lead to the new meta of best moneymaker. Selling in bulk usually means a lower price than the sum of individual item, so I lowered these prices somewhat.
- I reverted the size of Milkor clips back to 0.1, as this parameter is not a simply case of volume, but a storage. Storing individual grenades bloats the inventory more than having neat packs.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 01:00:58 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Alex_D

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 05:28:57 pm »

More than weight, it's encumbrance (or that's what I was told over the years). It's how burdensome is to carry certain item in the inventory. If it's just mass, then pistol clips should be 1, as they are very light. The proposed (now accepted) arrangement is a ring of some material (maybe plastic) that holds six grenades together, like a beer six-pack. Then these are inserted into the Milkor revolver-like cylinder one by one, as it's done in real life. The clip can be held hanging from the belt or so, thus the encumbrance is not as big as six grenades.

EDIT: I have integrated the submod. Thank you, Alex!
I did it pretty much as is, except:
- I did not include the disassembly projects (pack to single grenades). They're rather superfluous, as this isn't Piratez and we can just buy stuff normally, no need for jury-rigging. Therefore these projects are kind of a bloat. If it's something people genuinely need, I'll reconsider.
- Some selling prices were pretty exorbitant (due to the x6 multiplier), which would probably lead to the new meta of best moneymaker. Selling in bulk usually means a lower price than the sum of individual item, so I lowered these prices somewhat.
- I reverted the size of Milkor clips back to 0.1, as this parameter is not a simply case of volume, but a storage. Storing individual grenades bloats the inventory more than having neat packs.

Thank you for featuring the sub mod into the main mod.
- The assembly and disassembly was an option indeed. I agree it felt like Piratez :)
- I thought I checked the prices, so it wouldn't become like the US Mint Dollar Credit Card Scheme. Probably I missed some of them.
- Yes, the abstraction of storage is very complicated. I'd argue that it may be proportional to the number of squares taken in the Inventory Screen of an Agent, but other items can be stored much more efficiently in a different way.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2020, 03:11:53 pm »
One more thing I forgot to mention: the flashbang effect also requires an entry in the scripts. Just add this:

Code: [Select]
items:
  - type: STR_LAUNCHER_FLASHBANG
    tags:
      FTAG_DAZE_VALUE: 90 #percentage
      FTAG_DAZE_TIME: 1
  - type: STR_MILKOR_MGL_CLIP_FLASHBANG
    tags:
      FTAG_DAZE_VALUE: 90 #percentage
      FTAG_DAZE_TIME: 1

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2020, 04:57:00 pm »
This items give me interesting idea, currently if you have multiple used clips and at end of battle you lost one that can't be fill to full.
But what if you get different items that represents single bullet? This could be useful for items like Blaster Launcher class ammo.
Costly to produce and in small number.