aliens

Author Topic: TFTD Weapon Damage Formula?  (Read 2208 times)

Offline Nebhead

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
TFTD Weapon Damage Formula?
« on: September 29, 2020, 11:37:52 pm »
I'm looking for a way to enable the default damage formula from TFTD into this brilliant mod.

One thing that's irked me a lot playing this mod is doing 0 zero damage with a weapon that easily should damage a target.

Case in point, doing zero damage with a Desert Eagle to a Giant Rat, and Giant Spiders (not the armoured one btw).

It can get annoying pretty fast.

By default, some weapons do 0% to 200% base damage. I also know there are some weapons that are altered to be at the TFTD levels where it is 50% to 150%.
However, what I'd like this a way to apply this to all weapons.

Is there any way this can be done in the mod as it currently stands? 

Offline unarmed drifter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: TFTD Weapon Damage Formula?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 12:14:34 am »
afaik you can toggle it in the options

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 01:35:57 pm »
This has been discussed to death. Actually, several times (so it probably has 9 lives).

I don't mind if you enable the TFTD formula for yourself. But long story short, the 0-200% has several reasons behind it, but let me highlight the most important two:
1) Unit hitboxes in X-Com are always vertical cylinders. This means that they make a far bigger target than the graphics, and the common sense, would indicate; and also that a bullet will count as a hit even if normally it would go between the legs etc. the potential for low damage results is meant to counter this effect, albeit admittedly in a very approximated way.
2) The TFTD formula generally makes for a more dull game, with less excitement and more bean counting. Also it makes some balance decisions problematic (as in, some units may be very hard to kill, since you can't count on 200% "headshots").

Additionally, I should remark that many weapons in XCF have custom formulas, different from the 0-200% vanilla.

Offline Nebhead

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 08:49:04 pm »
So where is the option to enable it then?
I see in the "Mods" of the main menu it is present in the vanilla UFO Defence, but it's not present in the XCom files itself.

Even when enabled in vanilla UFO Defence, it doesn't seem to have any effect --- two weapons, namely the Desert Eagle in BlackOps Assault Cannon show a damage roll equal to the normal damage values of 0% --- 200%.
Screenshots attached.

Should the option be present in my mods list for XCom files?
I also checked the the options section in the main menu, also not present there.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 08:53:12 pm by Nebhead »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 11:22:32 pm »
Ah, right... Incompatible.

Sorry then, can't be done without making a mod containing all the XCF weapons.