aliens

Author Topic: X-Com Files Mod, Superman, Ironman-ish  (Read 211875 times)

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com Files Mod, Superman, Ironman-ish
« Reply #1245 on: July 02, 2022, 02:00:42 pm »
End of month report is pretty good. I also bought some more general stores in the outlying bases.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: July 02, 2022, 02:21:22 pm »
Yeah, I know. But it is more dangerous for them, too.
Is it? I mean, compared to biting you get like 5-6 extra tiles worth of running away, and if a bark hits and doesn't kill (which is, well, always :D ), at least the enemy gets a reduced chance to react. Biting is the high-risk, high-reward tactic.

Hiding behind the hairless monkeys is safer, of course.

And you sold the UFO Catcher Fly! Nooo! :'(

Doesn't it have longer range than an Osprey, anyway? You can also do some minor cover missions with it, notably the Westmen tavern, Trading with Wizkids and Caveman ambush.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 02:27:46 pm by Juku121 »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: July 02, 2022, 04:13:01 pm »
Is it? I mean, compared to biting you get like 5-6 extra tiles worth of running away, and if a bark hits and doesn't kill (which is, well, always :D ), at least the enemy gets a reduced chance to react. Biting is the high-risk, high-reward tactic.

Hiding behind the hairless monkeys is safer, of course.

And you sold the UFO Catcher Fly! Nooo! :'(

Doesn't it have longer range than an Osprey, anyway? You can also do some minor cover missions with it, notably the Westmen tavern, Trading with Wizkids and Caveman ambush.

Really? Didn't the Osprey go to these too?

I thought about transferring it to another base, but no hangar was available. And I needed the money from the sale.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: July 02, 2022, 04:27:00 pm »
Nope, the Dragonfly is the biggest covert mission craft there is. Ospreys have zero capability for those.

OTOH, you still need a car to cover all types of covert missions, and a helicopter can go to some the Dragonfly can't. But if your choice was either a shiny new Osprey or old trusty UCF, yeah.

What are you spending all the money on that you're so broke, booze and hookers bribes to the Secret Underground Base General Stores Construction Workers' Union? :P

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: July 02, 2022, 05:15:56 pm »
Nope, the Dragonfly is the biggest covert mission craft there is. Ospreys have zero capability for those.

OTOH, you still need a car to cover all types of covert missions, and a helicopter can go to some the Dragonfly can't. But if your choice was either a shiny new Osprey or old trusty UCF, yeah.

What are you spending all the money on that you're so broke, booze and hookers bribes to the Secret Underground Base General Stores Construction Workers' Union? :P

Well, biggest sink was building these two new bases. And I haven't got a good loot in a while.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1250 on: July 03, 2022, 07:38:50 pm »
Congrats on the Osprey! I hope it's not as good as it seems on paper.

And I also agree that Dragonfly and some civilian car are still a necessity. I'd advise getting them back when you can afford it. At least a car.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: July 04, 2022, 12:13:20 am »
Congrats on the Osprey! I hope it's not as good as it seems on paper.

And I also agree that Dragonfly and some civilian car are still a necessity. I'd advise getting them back when you can afford it. At least a car.

:)

It is mandatory for the bigger cult missions like the Mansions, Durathread Factory and the HQs. At least at this difficulty 8 agents need to be very lucky to deal with one of these.

EDIT: The lack of lights is also great.

I have a Van. It is enough for cover missions. It should get replaced by a land raider after Promotion III.

I may buy a Dragonfly back at some point for civilian missions, though.

EDIT: On a second thought, I should buy a Helicopter for these missions.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 12:37:19 am by tarkalak »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: July 04, 2022, 06:32:47 am »
land raider
You sure you're not playing the 40K mod instead? :P

On a second thought, I should buy a Helicopter for these missions.
Yeah, that's probably better. Although you're out in the open in that one, unlike the Dragonfly.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: July 04, 2022, 08:41:26 am »
You sure you're not playing the 40K mod instead? :P

That covert mission thing after Promotion III.

Yeah, that's probably better. Although you're out in the open in that one, unlike the Dragonfly.

The Helicopter can be used as hard cover, unlike the Dragonfly's wheels. It works better at night.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: July 04, 2022, 10:03:56 am »
I do some graph analysis here. Something happened in Estonia and I will check if it is still there.

We start the next mission with the almighty Osprey. It is a Monster terror mission.
What will it be?
Zombies? Chupacabras? Boring Beetles? Space Lizards?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 12:59:17 pm by tarkalak »

Offline Fomka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: July 04, 2022, 10:56:07 am »
Good luck in using Osprey in big missions, tarkalak!

Can you please explain a little?

Is the DAKKA helicopter (AH-6 Little Bird, I think) the best choice that you have now for scouting out cult bases (you call them mansions, I don't know the right name)? Can a van be used instead? Are those cult bases protected by some cult aircrafts?

What was the deal with three screenshots of purchases where cost was striked through? You were considering different options and made a final choice of 2 Blackops sniper rifles, right?

Why do you prefer club and iron pipe to tonfas? What do zeroes mean in the agents' names, the fact that they are from original 8-men team?

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: July 04, 2022, 12:06:28 pm »
Good luck in using Osprey in big missions, tarkalak!

Can you please explain a little?

Is the DAKKA helicopter (AH-6 Little Bird, I think) the best choice that you have now for scouting out cult bases (you call them mansions, I don't know the right name)? Can a van be used instead? Are those cult bases protected by some cult aircrafts?

I have a van, but it takes forever to get anywhere so I prefer to keep it at the base waiting for covert missions.
If I sense something far far away I will fill it with the better crew if a mission pops up for it in the meantime.
Vans, cars and etc. are invisible to enemy detection so they can avoid being hit at all.

What was the deal with three screenshots of purchases where cost was striked through? You were considering different options and made a final choice of 2 Blackops sniper rifles, right?

Final is the final cost of all purchases. I should have just cropped the upper images to not show their parts of the cost.

Why do you prefer club and iron pipe to tonfas? What do zeroes mean in the agents' names, the fact that they are from original 8-men team?

On the equipping screen press Alt with the mouse over a weapon. It will show that agent's damage with the weapon.

Iron pipe does more damage, but is potentially lethal. I mostly use it for style. In fact I will kill a civilian with one on next page or so.
Tonfa is good on people with high Melee, which is no one right now.
Wooden club's damage depends on Bravery and strength, so a 100 Bravery agent does a lot more damage with it. It also depends less on Melee for accuracy.
Electric club depends on Reaactions a lot and that one is harder to get high too. Also electric damage seems to have less enemies with resistance to it. Zombies for example are resistant to stun.

I would use a baseball bat, but it doesn't fit in a pocket and I don't want to walk with it in hand.

Sadly the game lacks the Bulgarian red necks from Pernik's favorite weapon. The vinkel. I.e. and angled metal bar.

0 means original member. I have 4 surviving now. In my previous campaign I used 1 and 2 to denote secondary and tertiary base crew. It was needed, because I sent them to the main base to use the Sick Bay occasionally.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 12:21:43 pm by tarkalak »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: July 04, 2022, 12:19:56 pm »
That covert mission thing after Promotion III.
I mean, this is a Land Raider. I'm pretty sure you need Promotion MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM for that. :P

The Helicopter can be used as hard cover, unlike the Dragonfly's wheels. It works better at night.
Dragonfly's walls are hard cover, too. Vans and helicopters work as cover only if you get lucky with map generation. True about the lights, of course.

Something happened in Estonia and I will check if it is still there.
So, is Estonia gone? Did the aliens do a land grab? :D

The mod explicitly calls them mansions as well. A van works about as well as a Little Bird, except it's slow and can't defend itself. Leveled mansions have aircraft (level 2 has helicopters, level 3 has jet fighters). Level 1 is supposed to have cars, but these are either so slow or otherwise messed up that I haven't actually encountered any.

Why do you prefer club and iron pipe to tonfas?
He's taking a stance against police brutality. :P

Edit: Electric club levels reactions when used, so it's not that bad. It's also very quick and safe to use. /edit

It was needed, because I sent them to the main base to use the Sick Bay occasionally.
No medical coverage for all agents? Are you docking their pay for sick days, too? What kind of penny-pinching secret organisation are you running there?! :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 12:36:09 pm by Juku121 »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: July 04, 2022, 12:39:29 pm »
Edit: Electric club levels reactions when used, so it's not that bad. It's also very quick and safe to use. /edit
No medical coverage for all agents? Are you docking their pay for sick days, too? What kind of penny-pinching secret organisation are you running there?! :)

Many melee weapons train Melee and Reactions. From the ones we discuss only the Tonfa trains only Melee, I think.

I haven't come to the point where I get secondary bases to launch missions yet.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 12:52:18 pm by tarkalak »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: July 04, 2022, 01:26:39 pm »
Many melee weapons train Melee and Reactions. From the ones we discuss only the Tonfa trains only Melee, I think.
Almost anything that's one-handed trains both, including Tonfas. Only stun rods and most of the big weapons train only melee. Notably, both Baseball Bats and Greatswords train reactions as well.