Author Topic: X-Com Files Mod, Superman, Ironman-ish  (Read 216001 times)

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com Files Mod, Superman, Ironman-ish
« Reply #165 on: August 17, 2020, 09:41:26 am »
Huh this was supposed to be a day mission. No moon.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 17, 2020, 09:46:50 am »
And we found the first one. Two agents hide, two agents wait for Reaction fire.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2020, 09:56:12 am »
And reaction fire does it's job this time.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2020, 10:03:55 am »
And Scully found the last one. I like how they are all clustered together. Must be a new feature.

Why did I bring the other agents along, anyway?

And when will Mulder show Mad Shooting Skillz as promised on page 1?

We may never know.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2020, 10:11:00 am »
Outcome.

Somewhat unexpected. Apparently Colts are still theather props.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 10:13:21 am by tarkalak »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 17, 2020, 10:22:03 am »
A new mission pops up. This time the Black Lotus is about to get kicked.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 17, 2020, 10:26:51 am »
And we research the Zombie. Oooops, I needed an autopsy for Promotion I.

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 17, 2020, 10:40:32 am »
Some research done, while en route.

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #173 on: August 17, 2020, 01:38:50 pm »
So, what's in the garbage gift box?

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 17, 2020, 06:44:42 pm »
Crap, my dog (you have no dog) computer ate that reply, I swear. I blame MATLAB for eating all the random access memory.

Just the usual, 4 dead beetles and a pack of smelly cigarettes.

EDIT: Thanks for reminding me, I had the collage made, but didn't made the post.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 08:01:42 pm by tarkalak »

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 17, 2020, 10:03:54 pm »
Oh joy.

I feel like you should get money for processing this garbage. But it was explicitly said to be garbage, what did I expect?

Offline WaldoTheRanger

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 18, 2020, 07:21:04 am »
I think I've gotten some cool stuff from land surveys before. Don't remember if it was worth 50k, but I was satisfied enough to do it a couple times.

Also, an easier way to cheat ironman like you were showing is to just kill the program with task manager. At least it works that way for my linux build. Haven't had any problems with that so far.
If you're quick enough with the pause menu you can also catch it during the enemy turn, though at that point I guess you might as well just edit the save to "ironman = true" on your last turn on mars. for screenshot purposes.

I'm also wondering when you pros build your third base. I borked my last playthrough pretty quickly by building a third base before august. I guess at the time (likely 4:00 am) I thought that being within an hour of Australia was our greatest security concern.

Dang.  just gave the crossbow stats a second look. I didn't realize it had a +damage for firing accuracy.  That almost makes it better than the hunting rifle except for range. Good to know.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 08:02:03 am by WaldoTheRanger »

Offline tarkalak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 18, 2020, 12:22:29 pm »
Oh joy.

I feel like you should get money for processing this garbage. But it was explicitly said to be garbage, what did I expect?

I wrote that before opening it. I like jinxing things. It makes a good narrative though. :)
If it was something good, I would have written that we are surprised what aliens throw in the dumpster, or something like that.

I am not sure what is the range of the stuff you get from expeditions, and I usually need the money for something else, like fresh, unscarred rookies for the shield wall.

I think I've gotten some cool stuff from land surveys before. Don't remember if it was worth 50k, but I was satisfied enough to do it a couple times.

Also, an easier way to cheat ironman like you were showing is to just kill the program with task manager. At least it works that way for my linux build. Haven't had any problems with that so far.
If you're quick enough with the pause menu you can also catch it during the enemy turn, though at that point I guess you might as well just edit the save to "ironman = true" on your last turn on mars. for screenshot purposes.

I'm also wondering when you pros build your third base. I borked my last playthrough pretty quickly by building a third base before august. I guess at the time (likely 4:00 am) I thought that being within an hour of Australia was our greatest security concern.

Dang.  just gave the crossbow stats a second look. I didn't realize it had a +damage for firing accuracy.  That almost makes it better than the hunting rifle except for range. Good to know.

Killing the program might break your save, if the game is saving at that exact moment. Copy-pasting text is safer and I don't need to restart X-Com. I also use that to have a backup in case something breaks up unrepairably. Using Ironman is just a way to make savescuming more labourous, so I don't use it as often. And also the moral view point "I have ironman so no cheating", everytime it comes to my mind.

I will build my third base for Helicopter/Dragonfly/Osprey coverage of the entire globe. Or if I have tons of money (you wish) to need the extra research space. So probably in late 1997 - early 1998. There are very few early missions, that expire fast enough to necessitate more bases.

I never got good mileage from the crossbow, even snap shot is above 50% TU, so it has poor damage per turn and, if you miss, it is a waste of a turn. It's only saving grace is the Beach missions. I have nothing better at the moment.

Weapons that I liked in my other campaign are:
Shotgun shotgun (for low aim soldiers and monster hunts),
BlackOps CAWS (better shotgun, but very expensive),
SKS (great early non-automatic rifle),
FN-FAL (rivals the Magnum damage with better accuracy),
G-11 (only for the Brave)
and the BlackOps Auto Sniper (It adds 0.5 Reaction to accuracy more than other sniper rifles).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 12:26:22 pm by tarkalak »

Online Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 18, 2020, 02:22:36 pm »
I wrote that before opening it. I like jinxing things. It makes a good narrative though. :)
If it was something good, I would have written that we are surprised what aliens throw in the dumpster, or something like that.

Sure, I got that straight away. You're very good at presentation. :)

Offline WaldoTheRanger

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 18, 2020, 05:18:59 pm »
It could break the save, that's why I make sure to have the pause menu open first, because from what I've seen you can't open it when it's saving. but yes your way is much safer.

So basically just whenever you have money. Cool stuff.

Oh shoot, I didn't see the tu cost. I had no idea it worked on the beach though, that'll be a lifesaver next time.
I'll definitely keep those other weapon recommendations in mind. thanks.