Author Topic: First mission: panic?  (Read 11535 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: First mission: panic?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2020, 05:17:16 pm »
Yes, and no, problem is definition of "encountered", scripts need be aware of this to make it work. Right now one way would be "smack" them with your weapon when they will follow you for for some time.

That would work, we could have X-Com ID cards to wave in front of a civilian :)

The idea of readiness as sanity does sound cool, but if that's all it was I think you'd have to rename it to sanity because of how different it is.

If we ever go down this route, then I absolutely agree.

I'm currently gathering data (i.e. having a blast punching wolves and cultists)

I totally get ya :)

maybe the two could be combined somehow. once readiness gets low enough from being driven too hard/seeing too many unnatural things/having buddies die, you lose your sanity and that's when you start to panic really easy and shoot your comrades in the back.

Feel free to present a model or something, I'll be interested, but no promises. Building the current model was a lot of work and I rather like it.

Offline justaround

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2020, 10:27:51 pm »
It does seem that readiness system does require quite a lot of fiddling. I mean, I voiced similar concerns and had issues with it before, which led the whole conversation to even get its own thread but I am unsure whether any improvements were made on the basis of feedback of various folks there.

I am curious about the idea of turning it off altogether as while I do like the idea and understand the reasons behind it, it seems to disrupt the game more than it helps anything.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2020, 11:13:21 pm »
I am currently in the process of overhauling the Readiness system to something quite different. Just wait and see :>

Offline eXalted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2020, 01:59:51 am »
I am currently in the process of overhauling the Readiness system to something quite different. Just wait and see :>

Can't wait! Not because I find it annoying but because I don't notice it at all.

Offline Thermite

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2020, 05:10:46 am »
Actually I'm having some thought about emphasizing the readiness status as less "combat fatigue" and more "mental damage from contact with the supernatural". You know, Cthulhu style.
What I'm thinking of is leaving everything as is, except on missions with no "supernatural" enemies (aliens etc.) you don't lose Readiness. This can be done by applying an effect every turn which adds +1 Readiness, thus cancelling out the loss.
Bear in mind it's a just loose idea for now.

Maybe rename readiness to something like "stress", "paranoia", "calmness" or "uneasiness" so that it makes more sense, since readiness doesn't really seem to explain that well what the mechanic does and fits more with what you want to do. Do note that "stress", "paranoia" and "uneasiness" should use an inverted logic from the current one because the more of those you are, the more likely you are to react unexpectedly to stimuli.
 I don't think the analogy to Cthulu does make sense, though, as non paranormal events could cause such reactions from soldiers too, that's just my opinion, though.

Offline Thermite

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2020, 05:20:24 am »
That would work, we could have X-Com ID cards to wave in front of a civilian :)

If we ever go down this route, then I absolutely agree.

I totally get ya :)

Feel free to present a model or something, I'll be interested, but no promises. Building the current model was a lot of work and I rather like it.

OR HAVE THE NEURALYZER FROM MIB COULD BE USED INSTEAD OF THE ID BADGES!

Imagine an undercover mission where you meet the MIB and they start converting civilians to fight with them!

Offline WaldoTheRanger

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2020, 04:11:01 pm »
Maybe rename readiness to something like "stress", "paranoia", "calmness" or "uneasiness" so that it makes more sense, since readiness doesn't really seem to explain that well what the mechanic does and fits more with what you want to do. Do note that "stress", "paranoia" and "uneasiness" should use an inverted logic from the current one because the more of those you are, the more likely you are to react unexpectedly to stimuli.
 I don't think the analogy to Cthulu does make sense, though, as non paranormal events could cause such reactions from soldiers too, that's just my opinion, though.

Already done. in the latest github commits it's called sanity.

Offline Thermite

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2020, 02:00:50 am »
Already done. in the latest github commits it's called sanity.

Sanity...
It's better, but that does imply that XCom soldiers go crazy and, as far as I am aware, going insane is a one way ticket trip.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2020, 04:47:47 pm »
Sanity...
It's better, but that does imply that XCom soldiers go crazy and, as far as I am aware, going insane is a one way ticket trip.

Ever heard of things like battle fatigue?
Ever been to a psychiatric ward?
Ever (actually) read Lovecraft?
:)

Offline Thermite

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2020, 06:21:49 am »
Ever heard of things like battle fatigue?
Ever been to a psychiatric ward?
Ever (actually) read Lovecraft?
:)

No, no and no.

Anyway, was a good talk.

Have to update OXCE, though... Got a real old version running currently, but I want to finish my vanilla+ playthrough first...
 :(

Also, me loves the XCom Files. Just a curious question though...
What is the XCom Files modlist? There are some features that I would love to have on my gameplay, but as separate items, like the bigger Skyranger with backdoors.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2020, 11:32:26 am »
Unfortunately mods won't work with XCF, unless they are general mods (meant to work with anything) or made specifically for XCF.

Of course, a mod can be edited to make it compatible.

Offline Thermite

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2020, 09:33:27 pm »
Unfortunately mods won't work with XCF, unless they are general mods (meant to work with anything) or made specifically for XCF.

Of course, a mod can be edited to make it compatible.

Noooooooooooo...
Didn't mean that. I was asking where I can get the mods that are a part of XCF, like the MiB stuff, for example, so that I can play with it stand-alone.

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2020, 10:10:58 pm »
Unless Solarius is nice enough to package it up for you, or if he took another mod and incorporated it, which is a portion of the content but definitely not all of it, your best option is to look through the rulesets and steal what you can. ;)

Luckily, the rulesets are very well organized and the strings are coherent so a simple find tool in many text editors can work wonders. I think MIB is already a mod for the vanilla game that you could find, but searching the rulesets for MIB, brings up most of it.

Offline Thermite

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2020, 11:39:00 pm »
Unless Solarius is nice enough to package it up for you, or if he took another mod and incorporated it, which is a portion of the content but definitely not all of it, your best option is to look through the rulesets and steal what you can. ;)

Luckily, the rulesets are very well organized and the strings are coherent so a simple find tool in many text editors can work wonders. I think MIB is already a mod for the vanilla game that you could find, but searching the rulesets for MIB, brings up most of it.

Do you know where the post for, let's say, the alternative troop transporters are?

Offline vadracas

• Colonel
  • Just another player/modder combo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2020, 12:14:14 am »
Do you mean the different crafts?

That'll be in crafts_XCOMFILES.rul

After you open the mod, go to the ruleset folder and scroll until you see that ruleset.

I haven't actually looked in it, but I assume that that should have all non-vanilla x-com crafts in this mod.