aliens

Author Topic: Non-random RNG (Seeding)  (Read 2596 times)

Offline adam

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Non-random RNG (Seeding)
« on: December 01, 2019, 01:50:15 am »
The problem with the non-random RNG is that there are openings (I'm experiencing this now) where your first few soldiers get gunned down without being able to fire a shot. Sorry, that is just a bs scenario -- who would put down a troop transport in such a position? In the old X-COM, you could at least use reloading to make such things bearable. Now it's just a difficulty curve you didn't sign up for.

Almost always, when developers decide players *shouldn't* be able to do something, they are just imposing their preferences on everyone else. :-(

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
Re: Non-random RNG (Seeding)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 03:17:22 am »
The problem with the non-random RNG is that there are openings (I'm experiencing this now) where your first few soldiers get gunned down without being able to fire a shot. Sorry, that is just a bs scenario -- who would put down a troop transport in such a position?

The feature you are requesting appears to already exist:
In the main menu select "Save scumming" and toggle it to YES.

To increase your soldier's survivability:
Spoiler:
My suggestion is to throw smoke everywhere, even on the first turn.
(If they can't see you, they can't shoot you... usually.)

Don't move into non-explored regions without proper lighting, go for mutual surprise.
(Mutual surprise: If X-COM and alien units spot each other simultaneously, the aliens will not fire first.)

Can't guarantee making the shot/kill with your rifle? Duck back around the corner and/or pop off a rocket/etc from a safer angle.
(Try to move in such a way that you can retreat if a shot is missed, don't over extend your movements.)

Always remember that the enemy has full TUs on the first turn of a battle, so leaving your craft may provoke reaction fire.
(There are advantages to charging out, but most players I've seen speak about this suggest skipping the first turn so the enemy expend their TUs)

In OpenXcom all enemy units in range of your landing craft saw it land, and thus on the first turn they are pointed towards the exit ramp waiting to fire.
(I saw this mentioned once on this forum somewhere, I assume it to be an accurate statement.)

Almost always, when developers decide players *shouldn't* be able to do something, they are just imposing their preferences on everyone else. :-(

I've always considered that a crucial part of game design. Perhaps the mindset is different in a more Modification focused community like here with OpenXcom?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 03:55:10 am by The Martian »

Offline Bobit

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Non-random RNG (Seeding)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 08:22:41 pm »
In many mods it is optimal to evacuate shortly after leaving the skyranger if the enemies spawned right next to you. It's a good mechanic, not a reason to break ironman.