Author Topic: Destroying Medium/Large UFOs  (Read 3213 times)

Offline x60mmx

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Destroying Medium/Large UFOs
« on: November 28, 2019, 12:06:13 pm »
Was working on a small mod and couldn't see how to make Medium/Large UFOs destroyable in ufos.rul.  Halp?

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
Re: Destroying Medium/Large UFOs
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 05:26:37 pm »
Hello there!

To shoot down an UFO, you must inflict 50% of damage of their HPs.

If a UFO has 100 HPs and you missile has 50 points of damage, then it will crash land.

But if your craft weapon inflicts more damage than the UFO, you can obliterate it!

Score-wise, is better to destroy an UFO, but loot-wise is better to start a ground mission!

Enviado desde mi LG-M400 mediante Tapatalk

Offline Docent

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 12:08:33 pm »
In Vanilla only scouts can be destroyed, At least that's what Ufopedia says. https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/UFOs
Apparently this mechanics does not apply to other UFOs and they crashes, even if they receive 110% damage ... I think this is hardcoded ... The question is, is that so?
UPD: Just done a test, assign a damage to the plasma beam of 5000, not only scouts are destroyed :)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 12:27:06 pm by Docent »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 12:14:57 pm »
Apparently this mechanics does not apply to other UFOs and they crashes, even if they receive 110% damage ... I think this is hardcoded ... The question is, is that so?

In OpenXcom they are destroyed when receiving 100% damage... any UFO, even battleships.
No, not hardcoded.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 07:13:03 am »
I solved this problem by giving the larger UFOs shield hit points. If a UFO has 400 shields and 100 damageMax (and 100% bleed through), then it has 500 hit points but it takes 450 damage to crash land it. This makes it susceptible to being destroyed by any weapon with greater than 50 damage, and it will usually be destroyed by a weapon with 150 or more damage.

In this way, you change the crash-destroy margin from 50% of the ship's HP to a smaller fraction.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 07:15:00 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline x60mmx

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 08:05:01 am »
I had to crank the Fusion Ball damage up to 4760 for a pair to destroy a Battleship.  Strange, considering a Battleship's 3K hull and the 50-100% damage for Craft weapons.  Reason why? 4755 resulted in crashed Battleships. 

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2019, 01:44:57 am »
I had to crank the Fusion Ball damage up to 4760 for a pair to destroy a Battleship.
4760 power means a minimum damage of 2380 per fusion ball. It takes 3000 to destroy the battleship in a single hit, and even if you fire both weapons at the same time, the two hits are counted separately. (I support adding an OXCE feature which can allow both hits to count together.)

Your 4760 fusion ball has a 26.0% chance of crash-landing a battleship, regardless of whether it is hit by one or more of them. Your previous value of 4755 had a 26.2% chance of crashing it in one hit. The minimum weapon power to ensure it destroys it is 6000.

----

Additional info from my testing--assuming UFO has no shields, armor, or other hit point bonuses:

As weapon power rises above the minimum needed to destroy the ship (half of the damageMax), the chance of destroying it initially goes up, but then for a while it actually goes down and reaches a critical low point (0%) when weapon power equals damageMax. Going above that, the chance once again rises until it reaches 100% chance when the weapon power is 200% of the total ship effective hit points. The highest chance of success between 50% and 100% of damageMax is IIRC 12.5% chance of success at 66.66% of damageMax. Thus to have a high chance to destroy the craft, weapon power should ideally be 150%-200% of damageMax or greater.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 01:47:03 am by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline x60mmx

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2019, 01:26:43 am »
It takes 3000 to destroy the battleship in a single hit, and even if you fire both weapons at the same time, the two hits are counted separately.

That explains it.