Author Topic: [Suggestion] mapBackground image  (Read 3497 times)

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
[Suggestion] mapBackground image
« on: November 22, 2019, 03:53:58 pm »
Hello there!

I'm aware that is possible to define the mapBackgroundColor in alienDeployments.rul, is a very cool effect. But I would like to have an image as the background. Something like GEOBORD.SCR, but on alienDeployments.rul

Why? I'm working on space missions set in Low Earth Orbit. And I want to replace the infinite darkness of the mapBackground with a space image, full stars. Something like the background of the Space Platform maps on StarCraft.

I hope this could be doable.

EDIT: Small image attached as reference!

Enviado desde mi LG-M400 mediante Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 04:58:55 pm by efrenespartano »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [Suggestion] mapBackground image
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 04:04:10 pm »
I don't see how I would do that (technically).

If someone wants to contribute (with a non-invasive solution), I'm more or less open to the general idea.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 04:03:29 am »
Why not print some random surface before draw any thing else? Only problem is need be reportable because we need support different resolutions.
One effect that could be used is to have some parallel scrolling, when you move map 10 pixel background move 1px

`ShaderRepeat` class is used for effects like that.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 01:32:54 pm »
This feature would have to accommodate really big files... Sure, you can (and should) make it seamlessly tiled, but if it's a planet visible from the outer space, then it must be bigger than the map itself.

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2019, 02:56:05 pm »
... Sure, you can (and should) make it seamlessly tiled, ...

I like the idea of an immersive background.

My two cent

That the background is tiled could be an unnecessary additional requirement. A certain difference between tiled play area and background is however useful

However in the user interface scenarios the last word goes to the prototypes or at least some concept images

wcho035

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 02:18:58 pm »
How about this, some mapblocks, you use some kind of pitch black terrain, make it looking like deep space. Just like the sea terrain from TFTD and no soldier can walk on it.

For the rest of the other mapblocks, you use verticalLevels. Like in startcraft 2, instead of cliffs or earth, you have mechanical rectangular blocks. From these mechanical blocks, you build the floors and then you add other layers like structures and etc, to build the map.

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 03:02:27 pm »
Why not print some random surface before draw any thing else? Only problem is need be reportable because we need support different resolutions.
One effect that could be used is to have some parallel scrolling, when you move map 10 pixel background move 1px

That would very cool, actually!

This feature would have to accommodate really big files... Sure, you can (and should) make it seamlessly tiled, but if it's a planet visible from the outer space, then it must be bigger than the map itself.

Yes, true. That's why I suggest making it close to how GEOBORD.SCR works. You can have this background that, if you change the screen resolution, it "duplicates" itself. Probably it won't work with very specific images (urban terrain, per example), but on terrains that are pretty much the same all around (deserts, the bottom of the oceans, forests, the space) it definitely could work!

IIRC, there is another option to define the background of the Geoscape where the image isn't modified when you change the screen size, but I don't remember it.

How about this, some mapblocks, you use some kind of pitch black terrain, make it looking like deep space. Just like the sea terrain from TFTD and no soldier can walk on it.

For the rest of the other mapblocks, you use verticalLevels. Like in startcraft 2, instead of cliffs or earth, you have mechanical rectangular blocks. From these mechanical blocks, you build the floors and then you add other layers like structures and etc, to build the map.

That's why I'm currently doing.

But seems kinda dumb IMO to only have stars at the bottom.
I'm using Dioxine's work on Piratez as reference for the terrain!

Enviado desde mi LG-M400 mediante Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 03:10:38 pm by efrenespartano »

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2019, 08:30:12 am »
An other example: Alien Infestation (1998)

The sprite/terrain are nice