Author Topic: Weapon balance / meta  (Read 11857 times)

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
Re: Weapon balance / meta
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2019, 08:21:10 pm »
^^

classifications (of kinds) of weapons..
(upon ..their types, kinds|)

^^*LASERs weapons:

accurancy> absolute, ABSOLUTE amazing ACCURANCY  ~~100++ ~ 150 ~ 200 %

range:> dependance upon weather, & environment :

almost unlimited, ~~ (literally, almost) INFINITE range (in fine, good weather)

very VERY limited - in bad weather (rainy, mist, stormy, blizzard, snowing, etc..)

kinf of damage:  ^^*Laser°°dmg.°

^^*GAUSS weapons

accurancy>

range:> very long, very well much,
far (far) away..

damage:  GAUSS (kinetic, dynamics major & mostly..)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 08:49:10 pm by LytaRyta »

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2019, 08:43:02 pm »
I´d expect lasers not to have such a long range at all...
Even if you get the focus point modulation right (you can't just put a 30cm lens into a laser gun...) you´ll encounter air/dust etc on the way there, so lasers are mostly not really long range weapons.
also due strict focussing there is extreme heat on a small point, but no depth penetration.

Offline Arcalane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2019, 09:29:57 pm »
Gauss/rail miniguns are a problem due to heat dissipation, even futuristic alien tech can't deal with this much heat.

A plasma minigun would be possible, but extremely expensive and not that practical - standard weaponry is good enough against standard infantry. The Blaster Launcher and plasma explosives in general are good enough to fill in the gaps.

tbh plasma weapons in atmosphere aren't really practical to begin with, even with alien tech involved. But that's a whole other debate.

What you could do, if you wanted to poke fun at the idea, is have a staff entry from the chief engineer/scientist. "We considered [gauss/rail/plasma/etc.] rotary weapons, but decided they were too expensive and impractical, even by our usual standards..."

I´d expect lasers not to have such a long range at all...
Even if you get the focus point modulation right (you can't just put a 30cm lens into a laser gun...) you´ll encounter air/dust etc on the way there, so lasers are mostly not really long range weapons.
also due strict focussing there is extreme heat on a small point, but no depth penetration.

RL laser ranges are pretty solid as long as the air's clear. But the problem is, well, the air needs to be clear. I doubt we'll see man-portable laser weapons for this reason more than anything; they'll likely be relegated to point-defense and anti-missile roles (which they're quite good at, as I understand, and where the range issue isn't as vital).

The various portrayals of such weapons in media is always fascinating. I recall lasguns in some 40K fiction - when they're not being laughed off as flashlights by fanbase memes - being described as leaving fairly large wounds- the initial energy blast ablates out the surface layers, leaving a wide but shallow sort of 'crater'.

Anyway, we're getting off-topic again...

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2019, 09:58:04 pm »
I´d say with plasma it depends if you´re shooting out the plasma "raw", or if you´re encapsulating it...

Offline LytaRyta

• Colonel
  • Lisbeth ;p My Engrish is easy bad, Csaba is dead!
    • View Profile
    • svetmightandmagic.cz
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2019, 09:58:26 pm »
@Arcalane "..LASERs in anti-missile roles (which they're quite good at, as I understand, and where the range issue isn't as vital).." --   but in Air-Defense, & anti-missiles role the range is vital much enought...

btw. + key note - absolute ideal ..environment for (using of) lasers is - space, outer space

any space missions

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2019, 04:32:07 pm »
For the Lobstermen and Swarmids, you need to use fire. Grenade launchers with incendiary rounds and flamethrowers take them out quick.
For lobstermen i noticed, they really won't go down.
But swarmids are way too vulnerable by bullets to bother with incendiarys...

Yes that part about lasers is definately right, they´re the perfect outer space weapon :)

Do any of you use missile launchers?
What about that annoying reaction fire?

Offline X-Man

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2019, 06:04:18 pm »
Do any of you use missile launchers?

Against cyberdiscs, yes. I helps to prevent their self-destruction.

Offline unarmed drifter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2019, 06:41:32 pm »
re: Minigun-spam
it's true, as soon as your soldiers haver a certain strength and to-hit%, miniguns are the weapons of choice, which is a bit disappointing considering the vast array of stuff solarius has put into his mod.
how game-breaking would it be to add stamina (kickback) and even morale (deafening noise) costs?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2019, 10:30:16 pm »
how game-breaking would it be to add stamina (kickback) and even morale (deafening noise) costs?

Not very :)

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2019, 03:10:15 am »
Not very :)
what? wtf you can't... don't even think about... aww cmon... nooo so unfair...  :'(

lol ye i agree miniguns are totally strong. but latest nerf made them more balanced.
still, they´re kinda very very strong... (using scatter blaster atm)
but tbh, i think that direction would be the wrong way.
more weight maybe, that´d make sense.
or if its really needed, instead of 2 salvos @15 shots, make it 1 salvo @ 30 shots for like 60-75% TUs...
(interesting enough, that last one doesn't even feel weird...)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2019, 11:52:43 am »
or if its really needed, instead of 2 salvos @15 shots, make it 1 salvo @ 30 shots for like 60-75% TUs...
(interesting enough, that last one doesn't even feel weird...)

That would make them a bit too much like heavy machine guns. I wand them to be different.

Offline Cynus_X

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2019, 01:42:49 pm »

I would understand the stamina cost, but morale? If anything, that noise would boost your own morale and cripple the enemies. Miniguns are like modern wardrums.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2019, 03:15:29 pm »
I would understand the stamina cost, but morale? If anything, that noise would boost your own morale and cripple the enemies. Miniguns are like modern wardrums.

I agree, and I wouldn't seriously consider such a rule. I only confirmed that it is technically possible.

Some weapons in XCF already drain Readiness on use, but they're all psionic weapons.

Offline betatester

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2019, 07:14:41 pm »
overheating and explosion of plasma guns. Never played the WH 40k mod so I wonder if the rule was implemented...

Offline TheCurse

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2019, 02:24:37 am »
That would make them a bit too much like heavy machine guns. I wand them to be different.
Generally I´d say heavier (+ heavier mag), insanely higher RoF, but lower dmg per bullet... +due high fire rate you may need more strength to counter recoil, but thats probably similar for LMGs.
Maybe could include that in acc formula... (like 0.5*acc + 0.5*str, instead of just acc)
So LMG would be 10shots @50dmg /50% acc, and minigun would be 30 shots @35dmg / 15% acc or so.
I think that is a distinct difference...
One is a multi shot sniper, the other a spray and pray bullet based area dmg weapon...
Not sure if thats different enough for you though.