Author Topic: Solar's wishlist - offtopic  (Read 4471 times)

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Solar's wishlist - offtopic
« on: October 15, 2019, 02:48:46 pm »
EDIT: (Meridian) Split from this thread: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,4830.msg117991.html#msg117991

I see 6 is the most exciting among the list. The other are interesting enough but more cosmetic in reasons. I once propose having the crash site of xcom craft treated as a temp Base. Alien can attack again and again until the survivors can be “transferred” out by a rescuing craft.

But it is a nebulous idea as some had suggested.
Number 7 is literally "This would make the mod less confusing for players" and mid-battle reinforcements for example are hardly "more cosmetic" in nature. More than one damage type is not cosmetic either and would actually allow for 'realistic' high-caliber ammunition. Terrain destruction by melee is not cosmetic either since it would actually make melee weapons more useful in cluttered terrains.

Do you need me to point out - again - why having "temporary bases" isn't a solution but instead introduces a host of new problems?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 11:16:08 am by Meridian »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Solar's wishlist - offtopic
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 03:09:12 pm »
Number 7 is literally "This would make the mod less confusing for players" and mid-battle reinforcements for example are hardly "more cosmetic" in nature. More than one damage type is not comsetic either and would actually allow for 'realistic' high-caliber ammunition. Terrain destruction by melee is not cosmetic either since it would actually make melee weapons more useful in cluttered terrains.

Do you need me to point out - again - why having "temporary bases" isn't a solution but instead introduces a host of new problems?

Dude, just give up.
It's pointless...

wcho035

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 04:19:07 pm »
Number 7 is literally "This would make the mod less confusing for players" and mid-battle reinforcements for example are hardly "more cosmetic" in nature. More than one damage type is not comsetic either and would actually allow for 'realistic' high-caliber ammunition. Terrain destruction by melee is not cosmetic either since it would actually make melee weapons more useful in cluttered terrains.

What I mean by cosmetic is a graphical enhancement. Terrain destruction and etc.. it is graphical enhancement. The crash site /temporary base. It was just a suggestion of how this can be made to work.

I don't care about what you have to point out. Apparently you point out too many unnecessary things. After reading of the exchange you had with Solarius. It seems like you thrives on unnecessary criticism to the point of disrespectful.

Again, I don't care for the noise you make.   

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 05:48:39 pm »
Dude, just give up.
It's pointless...
I wasn't aware the situation was that bad. If anything I see this as an opportunity to practice my english.

What I mean by cosmetic is a graphical enhancement. Terrain destruction and etc.. it is graphical enhancement.
Going by that reasoning the crash site could also be said to a 'graphical enhancement', since it results in things being displayed on your screen. The point is not to 'graphically enhance' terrain destruction, it's to be able to use melee attacks to destroy terrain tiles, something which is currently not possible and requires various workarounds to make things like the pickaxe workable. This also lead to bugs like it being able to destroy UFO tiles.

The only actual 'graphical enhancement' on the list are the alternate overkill animations. Which I'd also see pretty low on the priority list, since most mods work just fine with the current animations.

The crash site /temporary base. It was just a suggestion of how this can be made to work.
The point is that it can't be made to work the way you suggested it, not without breaking existing mechanics and requiring additional work to introduce new gameplay elements exclusive to that mechanic.

I don't care about what you have to point out.
I wonder if other people get the same reaction form you when they point out your inconsistent reasoning. You might want to work on your introspection if that is the case.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 06:07:24 pm by krautbernd »

wcho035

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 09:19:15 pm »
I wasn't aware the situation was that bad. If anything I see this as an opportunity to practice my english.
case.

More like listening to your own self. But hey, some people just love that. Or having poor situation awareness.

The point is that it can't be made to work the way you suggested it, not without breaking existing mechanics and requiring additional work to introduce new gameplay elements exclusive to that mechanic.

So you are a developer now? Wonderful! You can complete the hanger features then! I take back everything I said when you do!

I wonder if other people get the same reaction form you when they point out your inconsistent reasoning. You might want to work on your introspection if that is the case.

Wow, coming from someone whom is completely lacking in situation awareness and constantly practising it. I might have to laugh at those advice seriously...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 10:14:50 pm by Precentor Apollyon »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 10:43:05 pm »
More like listening to your own self. But hey, some people just love that. Or having poor situation awareness.
I wonder about that. Would you say that "it's pointless to argue with him/her" is positive or a negative character trait?

So you are a developer now? Wonderful! You can complete the hanger features then! I take back everything I said when you do!
See https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,7414.15.html - maybe you'd like to add to that first. Pointing out that the current mechanics don't support your suggestions isn't rocket science. We've already gone over this.

Wow, coming from someone whom is completely lacking in situation awareness and constantly practising it. I might have to laugh at those advice seriously...
I'd rather take that advice seriously if I were you.

wcho035

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 11:09:49 pm »
I'd rather take that advice seriously if I were you.

Ranting..and more ranting. Failure to preach to self and try to practise on others. Lacking in situational awareness.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 11:24:48 pm »
Ranting..and more ranting. Failure to preach to self and try to practise on others. Lacking in situational awareness.
I wonder about that. Would you say that "it's pointless to argue with him/her" is positive or a negative character trait?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 08:29:35 am »
let's try to keep the discussion civil, guys.
i can back up krautbernd's statement about requiring a bunch of specific code and extra work to implement such a feature
he may not be a developer, but you don't have to be a chef to know a lot of work goes in to a souffle
as for the bickering... this isn't really helping anyone, let's all take a deep breath, step back for a second and remember we're trying to work TOGETHER here to improve the game

wcho035

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 10:58:25 am »
Hi Warboy,

I am not ignorant of the fact that to get this feature out would take superhuman work. It is a huge if not astoundingly hard request.

However, there were questions asked as to how it can be made possible. I just offer my idea. No harm in offering my worth of creativity for the community to listen.

Hence there's the difference, between offering and not acknowledging of the super human work to get it out.

The bickering.. well, some people believe it is their right to be condescending. So, hence the result.

Just read what he wrote to Solarius and you will understand. Anyway, I just offered my ideas.

regards.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 05:36:40 pm »
Hi Warboy,

I am not ignorant of the fact that to get this feature out would take superhuman work. It is a huge if not astoundingly hard request.
It's not solely about the feature request, it's about you - repedeatly - making it out like your suggestion would be a practical way to go about implementing it. It's not, for reasons that I pointed out in the other thread. You didn't actually adress any of the points and instead called into question the ability of anyone not directly contributing to the codebase to judge your suggestion.

That's not how this works. As have been pointed out to you by now - repeatedly, by different people - simply taking into account existing mechanics can be enough to tell you if an idea is viable or not. You have a penchant for oversimplifying things and not looking at existing mechanics, their interconnection and the possible problems created by your ideas. This wouldn't be an issue in and of itself if you'd actually care to acknowledge those shortcomings, but instead of adressing them you'd rather pretend that these issue don't exist or call into question the expertise of those pointing them out to you. Take a look at your original request and your reaction to me pointing out the fairly obvious shortcomings of your suggested 'solution' using existing game mechanics. You didn't actually bother to adress or answer them. Instead I'm at fault for not endorsing your creativity.

That's not how logical reasoning works. You're the one making a positive claim as to how something should or could be implemented. It's on you to show that that's actually the case. If somebody points out that your idea has major flaws you can either admit that that's the case and shelf said idea, or you can try to disprove those claims. Instead you're trying to discredit the person criticizing (as in: calling into question) your idea.

No harm in offering my worth of creativity for the community to listen.
There is, if people have to go out of their way to make up for your laziness or inability to judge concepts according to existing mechanics. That aside, you currently have 2 ongoing wishlist threads and 10 other request threads. Not saying creativity is a bad thing, but this strikes me as kind of excessive. Endorsing your own requests as "benefitting the community" is also kind of pretentious, seeing how the same can be said of the majority - if not of all - implemented features.

wcho035

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 06:13:07 pm »
it's about you - repedeatly - making it out like your suggestion would be a practical way to go about implementing it. It's not, for reasons that I pointed out in the other thread. You didn't actually adress any of the points and instead called into question the ability of anyone not directly contributing to the codebase to judge your suggestion.
Do you have a version of how this can be done? Or feedback is now discourage in your version of this forum?

As have been pointed out to you by now - repeatedly, by different people - simply taking into account existing mechanics can be enough to tell you if an idea is viable or not. You have a penchant for oversimplifying things and not looking at existing mechanics, their interconnection and the possible problems created by your ideas. This wouldn't be an issue in and of itself if you'd actually care to acknowledge those shortcomings, but instead of adressing them you'd rather pretend that these issue don't exist or call into question the expertise of those pointing them out to you.

And you assume I don't care about those short comings? Or you have a lacking in interest in knowing that I don't care, but wish to critique me? Practicing your english like you say? You never read the part I do acknowledge of the superhuman feat it will take to get this work?

Hi Warboy,

Apparently what I wrote and quote above was conveniently ignored. Your interest, is to generatie more of your condescending "critique". You did this more often historically in this forum. You left bickering inducing comments and have short term memories of what you did. When someone explain to you that your "critique" is disrespectful, you conveniently forget of what you did and play the innocent victim.

Instead I'm at fault for not endorsing your creativity.

You want more examples of the damaging and bickering inducing comments you left on the forum that not even constructive but more of condescending in tone?

There is, if people have to go out of their way to make up for your laziness or inability to judge concepts according to existing mechanics. That aside, you currently have 2 ongoing wishlist threads and 10 other request threads. Not saying creativity is a bad thing, but this strikes me as kind of excessive.

Of course, you are not visible to the disrespectful critique or feedback. What is excessive here, is your disrespectful and rambling critique.

If you still is forgetful of what you wrote a few days before. Here is a reminder.

Meaningless? MEANINGLESS?
Who the hell do you think I am, some rookie?

Anyway, I am not interested in responding to "critique" based on irrational fear of pop-ups. If you have arachnophobia, don't play games with spiders in them.

This is a fun feature, it stays and will get bigger over time. I know Piratez is going down exactly the same path.

Solarius, I get the feeling that you're right now existing in some kind of bizarro world where sentences take on some whole new kind of alternative meaning. Why are you trying to imply things I never said?

Why did you keep practicing this bickering inducing critique of yours? What outcome are you seeking to prove? Why do you always forget what you did?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:42:39 am by Precentor Apollyon »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 06:37:02 pm »
Continue like this Apollyon... and I will ban you... my patience is not endless.

PS: forum rules: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,6593.0.html
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 06:38:42 pm by Meridian »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 07:19:55 pm »

Please try to be the mature one in this "dialogue" and don't react to things not worth reacting to.

wcho035

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 07:23:55 pm »
Very well Meridian, I accept your judgement. I hope the standards you uphold here goes both way.  I was trying to defend my own self respect. My most humble apologies if I have broken any rules to do it.

I just hope the forum would understand why I did it.  Even this said, I did my very my best not to write worse than this.

Please try to be the mature one in this "dialogue" and don't react to things not worth reacting to.

This person is not even worth my time anymore. Everything is historical now to me, with him, everything here in this thread.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 04:35:03 am by Precentor Apollyon »