aliens

Author Topic: XCOM Inspired Fantasy Game  (Read 86730 times)

Offline NancyGold

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: XCOM Inspired Fantasy Game
« Reply #360 on: February 18, 2022, 11:32:51 pm »
In XCOM player gets funding of the world governments.
I decided to overhaul it a bit, and instead make the player fund the oppressor.

As of now it is a % of the player's income and it will grow with time up to taking most of all player's money.
But it can be reduced by completing the king's quest (inspired by King's Bounty  :P)
But I consider also adding a flat tax for the low income scenarios.
In case player does crafting or a lot of freelance questing, hiding the money from the crown.
And it would also launch other systems, like forcing player to take debt to pay the tribute.

Now I was thinking about a more refined extortion hierarchy, and when player becomes the king there will suddenly be a need to pay tribute to the gods.
Or I can start the player as a serf, or a free person without any land. But for the v1.0 it will be that simple, because scope creep is already enormous for a single person indie game, which I need to finish before I either gain asylum in NL or will have to suicide to avoid deportation. In case I will have to kill myself, I will release everything into the public domain before taking the pills. But the project is so huge and already too so many years, I doubt anyone would be able to continue it or rewrite from 0.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 11:35:30 pm by NancyGold »

Offline NancyGold

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #361 on: March 05, 2022, 01:39:13 pm »
Amazing! There is now fighting at places, like Obolon, I walked a year ago in Kyiv :(
The Borispol airport I took flight from got bombed  :'(
A Kyiv trans girl who supplied me hormones is missing, while the friends family hides in the country.
Putin doesn't play tactics games, but Z-erg rushes like it is Starcraft. Or is it a Z-ombie Rush?!!
For Ukraine it looks like a tower defense game with huge columns of mobs going to kyiv ignoring everything.
And Zelensky armed every single Kyiv hispter. Even girls now have AK-47.
I really should have stayed and re-applied, instead of running away. Today Ukraine needs any support it can get.
So I have decided: my next game will be fully voxel, revolving around a self-defense squad in Kyiv.

Offline NancyGold

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #362 on: May 31, 2022, 07:45:38 pm »
Still alive.
Implemented something I previously thought impossible:
Large scale objects inside a cubic lattice based isometric engine.
It allows 3 levels of exposure: interior, exterior and floor only views.
Separate case is when mice cursor is on top of object roof.

I have also implemented tileset based large objects.

Guess it is the most baroque isometric engine ever.

Offline NancyGold

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #363 on: June 09, 2022, 12:48:59 am »
Finally finished importing all the tower parts.
These stack on top of each other, plus additional occluding sprites.
Occluders are required, because compared to the original XCOM, my engine cells dont have walls.
I.e. if one wants a wall, it has to be a separate cell, like in Magic & Mayhem, on which I based my design.
Now for art and compactness purposes I need to hide sprites beside say this tower top's rail, so I draw this rail as separate sprite with different draw order.
Calculating collision with such occluders will be additional challenge, but I don't need it for a fantasy game.

Obviously the tower will require retouch, because originally artist drawn it smaller, since back then I was unsure about the sprite size.