Author Topic: Underground Trial - Map questions  (Read 9449 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Trial - Map questions
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 01:54:30 pm »
Change the filename of UNDERG.mcd to UNDERG.MCD and see if that works. If not, gimme the next error log.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2018, 10:52:52 am »
It still cant find the file in the Mod folder even after i renamed it, having similar issue with the Pyramid mod also, it wants to load the MCDs from the original games UFo/terrain folder, not the MOD terrain folder.

Going to download the newest nightly and see if that makes any difference.

Update - Same result.

Update2 - I coped all the Terrain data out of the MOD folders and into the original game directories and now it crashes because the map fails to build... I also used the Oldest Nightly i could find, still no luck.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 11:34:03 am by luke83 »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 03:54:11 pm »
List of things to fix:

* To fix the UNDERG.mcd error, you need to reorganize the folders... you have \mods\Underground\Underground\TERRAIN, when it should be \mods\Underground\TERRAIN (remove the extra UNDERGROUND folder and the repeated metadata.yml)
* UNDERG02 .RMP needs to be renamed (contains an extra space)
* You only have 5 maps available, and according to the FARM script each can only be used 3 times, so 3x5 = 15 map blocks, which aren't enough to fill a 50x50 battlescape
* FARM script places a UFO, but there aren't any UFOs defined, so the game can't place any alien units; also, there's no data field defined on alienDeployments, so it's impossible to place any alien units
* The maps are a mess, it's impossible for the terrain to work like this. I made several changes and got the below pic

Finally, do not use old nightlies unless you want to banned to the seven hells ;)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 04:00:04 pm by Hobbes »

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2018, 06:40:30 pm »
cool thanks for the tips, one follow up  question how do you get the entire map visible, will make bug-testing so much easier.

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2018, 06:46:55 pm »
cool thanks for the tips, one follow up  question how do you get the entire map visible, will make bug-testing so much easier.

I had to edit the vanilla PLANE.RMP for aliens to spawn next to the forward landing wheel, otherwise it would be impossible to generate the map since there are no spawn points active for aliens (the UFO was added using addUFO type: STR_MEDIUM_SCOUT but it doesn't contain spawn points for some reason).

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 06:44:27 am »
List of things to fix:
* The maps are a mess, it's impossible for the terrain to work like this. I made several changes and got the below pic

LOL its just concept at the moment, i have not rally done anything other than steal and recolour a MCD file, i wanted to get something in game to see how the colours look in a dark environment before i spend any time building the maps i am thinking about.

Right, after much stuffing around i can confirm Hobbes tips are been fixed:
1)fixed the folder structure
2)removed extra space from UNDERG02 ( note i have removed it anyway as i didnt have it in my mapview)
3)Now have 9 maps ( and have removed all groups except group2)
4) i dont want a UFO, if anything this map should copy the U_BASE script, i changed the script to U_BASE but it still does not work (see Ruleset).
5) Maps are not a mess per say, pretty sure i didnt have the MCD order correct in original ZIp i posted, maps are almost identical copies of MOUNT
6) i am using a NEW nightly again
7) i have added some basic Routes/to each mapblock so hopefully aliens can spawn
8) I have added xcom Spawn point to a map to hopefully spawnXcom - have these marked as Group2
9) i removed all map block groups - except for group2

Current issue, it now wont let me add alien units to the map, i dont want any UFOs, i want to use the alienBase rules, so any thoughts as to why it wont work.

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 10:04:28 am by luke83 »

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 01:51:57 pm »
4) i dont want a UFO, if anything this map should copy the U_BASE script, i changed the script to U_BASE but it still does not work (see Ruleset).

You need to create a specific script - using the vanilla ones is counter-productive if you don't know what you are doing

8) I have added xcom Spawn point to a map to hopefully spawnXcom - have these marked as Group2
9) i removed all map block groups - except for group2

Groups are usually used if the mapScript contains Craft/UFOs (where you need at least one map designated as Group 1) and road placement (as in Terror Sites, where you need at least one map for groups 2, 3 and 4).

In your case, you need to have 1 map assigned to group 1, and nothing else. You can also use groups to indicate specific maps, but for simplicity's sake don't use them now.

Current issue, it now wont let me add alien units to the map, i dont want any UFOs, i want to use the alienBase rules, so any thoughts as to why it wont work.

alienDeployments requires this field to work, otherwise the game has no idea of how many alien units it should place and what weapons they should carry.

Code: [Select]
alienDeployments:
    data:
      - alienRank: 5
        lowQty: 1
        highQty: 1
        dQty: 0
        percentageOutsideUfo: 50
        itemSets:
          -
            - STR_PLASMA_PISTOL
            - STR_PLASMA_PISTOL_CLIP
            - STR_PLASMA_PISTOL_CLIP
            - STR_MIND_PROBE
          -
            - STR_PLASMA_RIFLE
            - STR_PLASMA_RIFLE_CLIP
            - STR_PLASMA_RIFLE_CLIP
            - STR_MIND_PROBE
          -
            - STR_HEAVY_PLASMA
            - STR_HEAVY_PLASMA_CLIP
            - STR_MIND_PROBE

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 07:09:43 am »
It still cant find the file in the Mod folder even after i renamed it, having similar issue with the Pyramid mod also, it wants to load the MCDs from the original games UFo/terrain folder, not the MOD terrain folder.

Going to download the newest nightly and see if that makes any difference.

Update - Same result.

Update2 - I coped all the Terrain data out of the MOD folders and into the original game directories and now it crashes because the map fails to build... I also used the Oldest Nightly i could find, still no luck.

OpenXcom should automatically check the mod folder for terrain files and use them at higher priority than any found in the game folders. Make sure you have your mod's folder system correct. In the OpenXcom\mods\ folder, you should have the main folder for your mod which may contain the various subfolders generally one level deep. The mcd should be in Pyramid_rebirth\TERRAIN\. Make sure all of the spelling is correct--it's all case sensitive as well--and make sure MAPVIEW is using the same versions of the terrain as OpenXcom is using.

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2018, 10:42:33 am »
So i have the map coming into OXC now, still not sure what the final use of this map will be, thinking it may be a Underground Lab, anyway just thought i would share now its generating enough to test  ( i only have 9 map blocks currently so its very early days and most of the MCD is still not built) :P

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2018, 12:10:30 pm »
I made many underground/cave maps, but this one definitely looks prettier than anything I've done!

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2018, 12:50:55 pm »
I made many underground/cave maps, but this one definitely looks prettier than anything I've done!

Cool, where are your ones? having been away for so long i think i may be missing a lot of good stuff others have done over the years.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2018, 12:26:23 am »
I don't have a readily available mod... But check the X-Com Files mod and look for Shogg Village. And Mysterious Caves.