Author Topic: Post-meritocracy  (Read 19664 times)

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
Re: Post-meritocracy
« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2018, 01:18:27 am »
I'm fairly sure this falls under the Academy. Not so literally, but they tend to represent all examples of information/culture warfare.

This is a tough choice, the Academy being closer in modus operandi, but Humanists being closer in mockability/irony.

But I'm totally reusing the TFTD Cthulhu coffin. Oh, wait, it might be that RMS deserves being carbonited in it way more, complete with his beard ... 

Okay, two coffins.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 01:23:33 am by Stoddard »

Offline Kilgore T.M. Replicant

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2018, 01:08:16 pm »
But I'm totally reusing the TFTD Cthulhu coffin.

Hold your unicorns! From the previously linked anti-meritocracy article:
Much of the literature that we love and respect as geeks was written by extraordinarily bigoted individuals, from H.P. Lovecraft’s rampant racism to Orson Scott Card’s aggressive homophobia. But these serious flaws are generally either ignored or explained away by cultural, historical or generational differences. We hide behind the motto of “love the art, hate the artist” to justify our preferences despite the faint voice of conscience, persistent in telling us that something is amiss.

Lovecraft was racist! "Death of author" is not an excuse: going "Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fh'tang!" makes you guilty by association. (Citing epithets from the Howard's Cat Naming Convention book is a bit more clear cut case.)

Stop perpetuating mythology coined by ungood people!

(Hmm... where does that leave Islam?)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 02:06:04 pm by Kilgore T.M. Replicant »

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2018, 03:33:01 pm »
Hold your unicorns!

Nice suggestion, thank you. In lieu of just letting them free, I shall first take advantage of them and then make the unicornburgers. I now see that this is in their best interests.

Lovecraft was racist!

He was also a homosexual child-molesting Elder God from Outer Space.

Here's the proof:
https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/the-complicated-friendship-of-h-p-lovecraft-and-robert-barlow-one-of-his-biggest-fans

(although this one is even more damning).

Him being not from Middle East, Africa or South America there can be no excuse.

Stop perpetuating mythology coined by ungood people!

You will not stop my Quest for Justice!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 03:45:14 pm by Stoddard »

Offline Kilgore T.M. Replicant

• Colonel
  • Mangia!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2018, 05:27:14 pm »
In lieu of just letting them free, I shall first take advantage of them and then make the unicornburgers. I now see that this is in their best interests.

Careful now. Threathening or mocking imaginary beings can land you in jail (or worse) in some jurisdictions.

Also: medium-rare, thanks.

He was also a homosexual child-molesting Elder God from Outer Space.

Here's the proof:
https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/the-complicated-friendship-of-h-p-lovecraft-and-robert-barlow-one-of-his-biggest-fans

Interesting read. Suicidal gay man in the '50s... reminds me that having Turing in a file called HACKING probably paints me homophobic. Anyway, white gay men are not far enough down on the intersectional oppression ladder to matter for Diversity.

(although this one is even more damning).

... it started to stare back at me. Nietzsche had some other quip about fighting dragons that applies quite well to the people pushing CoCs. (Feel free to throw that back at me when I start slandering them instead of their work.)

You will not stop my Quest for Justice!

But it offends me, a random observer with zero investment in the project! Sorry, the progressive demand censorship and witch hunts. Freedom and justice are mutually exclusive. Freedom is slaveryworker-y. Ignorance is strength. A trout weights as much as a duck.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 11:15:41 am by Kilgore T.M. Replicant »

Offline Stoddard

• Colonel
  • in a fey mood
    • View Profile
    • Linux builds & stuff
« Reply #49 on: November 19, 2018, 03:50:04 pm »
разгром

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZYQpge1W5s
edit: esp the bit after 56:30
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 04:02:24 pm by Stoddard »

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2018, 06:04:27 am »
anarcho/captialsim, GNU slogan is:https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer”

Let's not be ridiculous, there is no free beer in any non-imaginary system, including communism. I specifically stated communism is only possible there due to cost of copying being negligible. Computer language is speech too...

Anarcho-capitalism... not, because NAP is a joke. Human being works on aggression principle. So it becomes CNAPP (Circumvention of NAP Principle). So Anarchocapitalism could only work if every human was either perfectly isolated from all the others, or working with them within a tight, exceptionalist, nepotistic (((belief system))). And then it wouldn't need money. Oy Vey. Maybe you're into something after all. Shrouded in deep darkness of his digital fortress, a lone man, or a member of secret cult, prowls the internet of Eldricht Things. The dumb pariahs are immediately cast into deadly light of being unmasked, and thus rendered powerless. Maybe not such a bad idea.

This is a tough choice, the Academy being closer in modus operandi, but Humanists being closer in mockability/irony.

Definitely Academy, that was the intention... they also do love CoCs. Therefore how can you say there is no irony :)

Freedom is slaveryworker-y. Ignorance is strength. A trout weights as much as a duck.

Regressive is Proggressive.

And what do you mean that Lovecraft wasn't a racist. He knew his antropology pretty well, as befits of an educated man.

PS. To explain my gripe with the word meritocracy... Those who call for meritocracy not infrequently understand it as "rule by those who grant diplommas".
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 06:11:42 am by Dioxine »

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2018, 08:12:19 pm »
Let's not be ridiculous, there is no free beer in any non-imaginary system, including communism. I specifically stated communism is only possible there due to cost of copying being negligible. Computer language is speech too...
You completely miss my point. I only point outs that you attribute wrong ideology to FOSS.
You said that is "anarcho-communism" aka deny of all property rights where FOSS is more protection of my property rights to my hardware.

We could compare this to books, in FOSS world you can prevent anyone else to touch or read your book but when you sell it he can do any thing he want with it and you do not have any right to prevent that. He can copy it and sell new copies to other peoples.

This is completely different to ACom where book do not belongs to you and others can take it when they need it and you currently do not reading it.

Anarcho-capitalism... not, because NAP is a joke. Human being works on aggression principle. So it becomes CNAPP (Circumvention of NAP Principle). So Anarchocapitalism could only work if every human was either perfectly isolated from all the others, or working with them within a tight, exceptionalist, nepotistic (((belief system))). And then it wouldn't need money. Oy Vey. Maybe you're into something after all. Shrouded in deep darkness of his digital fortress, a lone man, or a member of secret cult, prowls the internet of Eldricht Things. The dumb pariahs are immediately cast into deadly light of being unmasked, and thus rendered powerless. Maybe not such a bad idea.

What NAP have to do with FOSS? And discussion with FOSS is more ACom or ACap? Both can be equal utopias that cant work or two systems that work currently in real life. This is irrelevant to discussion what basic ideology of FOSS is.

And for NAP, you are right that humanity make wars from from beginning but you forget one important fact, each side of conflict have NAP in own group. This mean if we split people to autonomous unit number of conflict will increase than decrease because they will have no incentive to respect each other, one of this incentives is trading that exists same long time like war (europe trade with chines for very long time even if both barely know each other).