Author Topic: Reaver's Rebalance  (Read 9130 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Reaver's Rebalance
« on: September 17, 2018, 11:53:35 am »
Reaver's Rebalance
Latest version: 0.9.0

This mod makes several minor changes across the game, primarily increasing or decreasing the power of various things in order to bring them into balance. No new items or graphics are added. I've got another mod (Reaver's Faithful) which adds a lot more content while still remaining faithful to the original feel of the game. This mod is even more faithful to that original feel as it changes almost nothing about the way the game feels. This mod is dedicated to those of you who want to bring back that old nostalgia but with better game balance.

Changes include:
* Weapon damage/accuracy/TU cost adjusted
* Pistols greatly buffed, Heavy Laser buffed, Heavy Plasma made more powerful/cumbersome
* Heavy/Auto Cannon AP buffed, HE nerfed
* Grenade and High Explosive buffed
* Motion Scanner and Mind Probe take less TUs to use
* Alien TUs increased. Aliens will be more mobile and will seek you out more.
* Alien reactions decreased. High starting reactions on your soldiers (50-60) is now high enough to feel a difference.
* All difficulties have a different alien armor multiplier, thus making a larger difference in difficulty. Superhuman has +50% armor on aliens.
* Mind Probes continue to spawn on scout crews into the late game
* Plasma Pistols and Plasma Rifles do not disappear completely from deployments
* Power Suit and Flying Suit given +10 TUs and Strength to match what the UFOPedia says about them
* Some alien resistances/weaknesses adjusted either for their size or to match UFOPedia
* Incendiary does more damage, now viable as a weapon (it ignores armor)
* Firestorm/Lightning now twice as fuel-efficient (range/speed unaffected)
* Buffed Stingray, Fusion Ball, Laser Cannon; nerfed Plasma Beam -- Cannon left untouched. It's too awful, I can't fix it!
* Buffed General Stores, Small Radar, Missile/Laser Defense
* Inventory pistol slots! Leg slots made vertical. Shoulder slots still horizontal.
* Laser Cannon profit bug fixed - they are still profitable to make but profit is more comparable to other laser weapons
* Soldiers start with 40-80 psi strength. Max is lower but range is much smaller.
* Research changes:
- - Laser Weapons immediately unlocks Laser Pistol
- - You can do either Power Suit or Flying Suit first
- - You can do either Firestorm or Lightning first

This mod is designed to work without UFOExtender Accuracy, meaning the aimed shots have much higher base accuracy than snap shots rather than relying on range to make the difference. It'll work just fine with UFOExtender Accuracy if you prefer to play that way.

If you don't like any of the changes, you can simply edit them yourself or delete the corresponding section of the mod ruleset to restore it to vanilla values. Alternatively you can tell me about it here and suggest changes.

-- EDIT by Meridian, resized the image
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 09:24:37 pm by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline Lord_Kane

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Reaver's Rebalance
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 12:30:18 am »
Am liking it so far.

Offline TheDeparted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 07:09:41 am »
One of the best mods ever. Thanks, Reaver!

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 06:02:47 am »
You're very welcome, and thank you!!  :D

Offline Lord_Kane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 07:31:07 am »
Here's a shot in the dark... I've been trying really hard to get this mod (see attached) working for OpenXcomExtendedPlus, but alas, my poor (non-existing) coding skills got the better of me! Meridian himself was kind enough to try to point me in the right direction, but to no avail. So, if anyone could make this mod OpenXcomExtendedPlus friendly, I would be extremely grateful! The mod was made by WarBoy, and is quite similar to Reaver's RebalanceMod (the only way to play vanillo, imho). Hope Reaver won't mind I posted this here...

why didnt you just make a new thread? why post this in another mod's thread?  :-\
also this is a real old mod, wow, this could take a while to convert to the current standard.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 07:32:43 am by Lord_Kane »

Offline yergnoor

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 08:03:01 am »
The mod was made by WarBoy, and is quite similar to Reaver's RebalanceMod (the only way to play vanillo, imho). Hope Reaver won't mind I posted this here...
I could be wrong, but in my opinion what is attached is not what we now call a mod. This is alpha version 0.4.5 of OpenXcom itself, the predecessor of OpenXcom 1.0. At first glance, apart from vanilla UFO, there is nothing inside, and indeed it is trimmed, since then the game was not fully realized. Launching it now by itself should be easy if you follow the instructions in the archive. It will only be necessary to add the data of the original UFO game (previously used this format) to the DATA folder and run the attached exe-file. As a separate mod, it cannot be used in the archive.
But this is just one more way to play vanilla, and even incomplete. It is much easier in the same OXCE to turn off all the mods and play it.

Offline TheDeparted

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 06:40:19 pm »
I could be wrong, but in my opinion what is attached is not what we now call a mod. This is alpha version 0.4.5 of OpenXcom itself, the predecessor of OpenXcom 1.0. At first glance, apart from vanilla UFO, there is nothing inside, and indeed it is trimmed, since then the game was not fully realized. Launching it now by itself should be easy if you follow the instructions in the archive. It will only be necessary to add the data of the original UFO game (previously used this format) to the DATA folder and run the attached exe-file. As a separate mod, it cannot be used in the archive.
But this is just one more way to play vanilla, and even incomplete. It is much easier in the same OXCE to turn off all the mods and play it.

You both are right. I've just deleted my post. I was a bit excited about this description, as I have no idea how to make a single, coherent mod for everything in it:

Current feature list:
http://openxcommods.weebly.com/download.html
new tank type - battle mech! it's a battle mech. need i say more? based on the sectopod chassis, but with 50% more badass. (actual results may vary)
tank shells will now cause small explosions
training facility added - slowly increases soldier's stats, using the same formula as apocalypse
medical bay added - decreases wounded soldier convalescence time
researchable disruptor and gauss cannons for hovertanks and crafts
combat armor added, purchasable from buy interface
power armour replaced with re-coloured TFTD ion armour
flying armour helmet graphics altered
incendiary grenades
stun grenades
flashbangs - explode immediately, no priming, reduces reactions, accuracy and detection radius for 2-3 turns
terror missions at military bases (new map type) with military personnel (new unit type) with flashbangs and all mundane weapon types available
soldiers, if issued with pistols, will grab a melee weapon in their left hand, if one is available
added police, they will show up as local law enforcement on terror missions and actually fight aliens

Again, apologies to Reaver for clogging his thread. Please feel free to delete this post.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 06:42:07 pm by TheDeparted »

Offline Lord_Kane

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 11:04:30 pm »
You both are right. I've just deleted my post. I was a bit excited about this description, as I have no idea how to make a single, coherent mod for everything in it:

Current feature list:
http://openxcommods.weebly.com/download.html
new tank type - battle mech! it's a battle mech. need i say more? based on the sectopod chassis, but with 50% more badass. (actual results may vary)
tank shells will now cause small explosions
training facility added - slowly increases soldier's stats, using the same formula as apocalypse
medical bay added - decreases wounded soldier convalescence time
researchable disruptor and gauss cannons for hovertanks and crafts
combat armor added, purchasable from buy interface
power armour replaced with re-coloured TFTD ion armour
flying armour helmet graphics altered
incendiary grenades
stun grenades
flashbangs - explode immediately, no priming, reduces reactions, accuracy and detection radius for 2-3 turns
terror missions at military bases (new map type) with military personnel (new unit type) with flashbangs and all mundane weapon types available
soldiers, if issued with pistols, will grab a melee weapon in their left hand, if one is available
added police, they will show up as local law enforcement on terror missions and actually fight aliens

Again, apologies to Reaver for clogging his thread. Please feel free to delete this post.

Dont delete posts please, its okay to be excited. but make a new thread and then we can discuss this mod idea of yours. preferably in the WIP mod section  :)

Offline eclecticbibliophile

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2020, 01:11:25 am »
I'm having a bit of an issue; I'm unable to build laser cannons (or tanks) because a laser cannon is listed as a necessary material to build one.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2020, 01:34:52 am »
That's not the problem - you can see that the laser cannon is under "Units Produced" in that image. Have you checked to make sure you have enough money to produce one?

Offline eclecticbibliophile

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2020, 02:44:15 am »
Oh, wow, I'm an idiot. Sorry, please forgive me.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 12:56:09 am »
Oh, wow, I'm an idiot. Sorry, please forgive me.

The view is a bit confusing.
I have improved it for the next OXCE release to be friendlier to vanilla-like projects.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 01:56:54 am »
Hooray! That had been bugging me.  ;D