Author Topic: Vanilla Rebalanced - nothing is added, but everything is different!  (Read 15850 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla Rebalanced - nothing is added, but everything is different!
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 03:18:47 am »
if you wish for  10 ELERIUM to be used it needs to read:

- name: STR_PLASMA_BEAM_ROUNDS_X10
    category: STR_CRAFT_AMMUNITION
    space: 2
    time: 300
    cost: 80000
    requires:
      - STR_PLASMA_CANNON
    requiredItems:
      STR_ELERIUM_115: 10  # remove hyphon

It needs to read:
Code: [Select]
  - name: STR_PLASMA_BEAM_ROUNDS_X10
    category: STR_CRAFT_AMMUNITION
    space: 2
    time: 300
    cost: 80000
    requires:
      - STR_PLASMA_CANNON
    requiredItems:
      STR_ELERIUM_115: 10

Optional:
Code: [Select]
    producedItems:
      STR_PLASMA_BEAM_AMMO: 10

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 02:51:06 pm »
Oops, can't believe that's been there all along!
Currently the rounds are in clips of 10 shots, like with the basic cannon's x50 rounds, but it does make sense to have each plasma cannon round be an individual item since you really don't want to lose them to rounding...

EDIT: That should do it.
Original version is still on GitHub for the curious, but the other downloads are updated.
Probably! I haven't actually tested it in-game...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 03:04:51 pm by Align »

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2017, 08:33:46 pm »
but it does make sense to have each plasma cannon round be an individual item since you really don't want to lose them to rounding...

Thank you for those changes, I should be using  it shortly.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2017, 10:19:02 pm »
It seems like a lot of elerium to spend on ammo. I have 2 shots cost 1 elerium in my mod, and my plasma beam does 210 damage (50% higher than vanilla), and that's still a good way to make elerium disappear. 1 elerium per shot is a lot unless you greatly improved the power of the weapon.

Then again I also made UFOs have longer attack range and more hit points, and I gave the player more ways to spend elerium, so maybe it's balanced in your mod.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 10:21:08 pm by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline Align

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2017, 10:29:10 am »
I can't say for sure that it's a fair cost, but IIRC the idea was to keep laser cannons somewhat viable just like with infantry weapons - with their infinite free ammo you'll probably keep some around to take care of lesser threats, like scouts and maybe harvesters & abductors. Plasma beams, like the avalanche nuke missiles, are powerful but expensive; plasma guzzles elerium, avalanche guzzles cash.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 06:08:41 pm »
That's not a bad idea. I made avalanches weaker and plasma guzzle both elerium and cash.
The benefit to your idea is that you can use either elerium or money without using both.
The benefit to mine is that you save the stronger weapons for later in the game.

I'm not sure which way is better.

Online yergnoor

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2020, 08:50:40 am »
Quite an interesting mod, I liked its idea - to rebalance the original game without adding new content, but making it interesting again, posing new problems.  For example, how to do without super-profitable production.
Unfortunately, the mod did not run on the OXCE I am using.  But I managed to solve this problem by adding some missing lines to the rul file of the mod, earlier in OpenXcom it was not necessary to indicate them, but OXCE is more strict.
I also added Russian localization, in addition to the English strings contained in the mod.

But although I liked a lot, there are some that seem to me to be disadvantages.  For example, arc shots from cannons actually turn them into grenade launchers.  But the arc trajectory of the projectile also means its low velocity.  As long as the projectile is explosive or incendiary, this is not a problem.  But if it is armor-piercing ... The penetrating power of such a projectile directly depends on its speed.  The higher the bullet speed, the more powerful the weapon.  But the trajectory of the shot also tends to a straight line.
Therefore, it seems to me that two types of shots should be introduced for the modified weapon.  The first is with a straight trajectory for armor-piercing bullets.  And the second - with an arc, for explosive and incendiary.  This can be explained by the fact that different ammunition has different powder charge power.
However, I'm not sure how this can be done, if at all.  My knowledge of mod building is pretty superficial.  OXCE introduces so many new features with each new version that I have long since stopped trying to figure them out.

But here and now I am posting the version without any changes, except for those necessary for its performance.  Perhaps this old mod will also interest someone else, especially those who prefer to play with mods that do not change the original game too radically.