aliens

Author Topic: Just a thought for the beginning  (Read 9647 times)

Offline Bobwolf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Just a thought for the beginning
« on: August 06, 2018, 08:22:07 am »
Hey guys!

I had an idea while I was playing the game and I'm not sure how much work it would require or even if it's possible.

There is a mission of concerned citizen where you need to recover some top secret files. Well how about this :

Once you research those files, they grant you access to some information about Strange life form. This could lead to another research unlocking a certain weapon type to allow you to kill or capture strange life form. (Simple example : Werewolf can be killed with silver...) And when you capture a strange life form, it could lead you to a special project. Live werewolf could grant you access to a better medikit since werewolf are suppose to regen wounds except from silver. Of course, the chance to get the Concerned citizen mission should be higher. And it could have rival agency agents appearing as the time goes on...

Strange life form mission should be very risky (more than they are already  8)) without the good info/tools. I'm not saying that it should be impossible but maybe very risky.

Also, if I take the werewolf example once again, maybe he could be very resilient to lots of damage type except silver ?

Just a thought !

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Just a thought for the beginning
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 11:29:02 am »
You already get access to better healing items via energetic blood plasma. Splitting up research during that stage of the game would probably be counter-productive if all you get is basically a different version of the healing gel. Werewolves (and all other monsters) are perfectly killable without expensive ammunition. Also, we already have what - 10 different damage types in the game? Do we need another one for one or two monster types? "Silver" would also be kind of overspecific compared to "Plasma" or "Chemical". The new combat analysis screens already tell you what kind of damage enemies are susceptible to once you manage to capture and interrogate live enemies - isn't that what you're asking for?

While i like the idea of being able to dispatch vampire knights more easily (they'd probably be susceptible to silver to i take it?) i don't see how it would fit in lore wise - the syndicate is basically just breeding and introducing these monster to cause terror and unrest - why go through the trouble of making one of them susceptible to one specific type of metal? Also, how would that fit in with the "final solution" you get later on if werewolves are pretty much immune to everything else?

Why should those missions be "more risky" than they are already? So that players can get more frustrated early on? Have you had a bunch of chupacabras gang up on your team before? Yeah, i don't think we need more of that, at least when you're just starting out. It's bad enough running into Reapers when all you have is pistols and the early shotguns - there needs to be some kind of consistency in regards to mission difficulty.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 11:47:16 am by krautbernd »

Offline Bobwolf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 06:27:21 pm »
Yeah I understand.

And do we have access to weapon attached with a flashlight? That would be very useful.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 08:55:55 pm »
While a tactical light would be cool. The engine does not really support such things. Any light source is spherical only and only outfits lights can actually be turned off ATM.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 09:53:52 pm »
While a tactical light would be cool. The engine does not really support such things. Any light source is spherical only and only outfits lights can actually be turned off ATM.
Meridian mentioned directional lights in his plans. Someday.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2018, 11:24:52 pm »
Indeed some day, but Merdian is only one being, no matter how talented or diligent. It may be a very long time in deed.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2018, 11:25:11 pm »
We already have directional lights.

And it was Yankes, not me.

Offline Bobwolf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 12:27:14 am »
Directional light would add a lot to the ambiance. I would totally love night mission !

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 12:36:19 am »
Directional light would add a lot to the ambiance. I would totally love night mission !

It looks quite bad in my opinion.

But there are people who like it, so feel free to try it.

Offline Bobwolf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 02:58:25 am »
Meridian, do you happen to have a video on your channel that show those directional lights in action ?

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 08:52:24 am »
I think spherical light sources are fine in most situations, I don't particularly feel that flashlights for instance should be directional. It would be cool if vehicles like cars and vans had directional lights to simulate their headlights though. X-Piratez has it on some of its vehicles if I recall.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 07:43:28 pm »
Hey guys!

I had an idea while I was playing the game and I'm not sure how much work it would require or even if it's possible.

There is a mission of concerned citizen where you need to recover some top secret files. Well how about this :

Once you research those files, they grant you access to some information about Strange life form. This could lead to another research unlocking a certain weapon type to allow you to kill or capture strange life form. (Simple example : Werewolf can be killed with silver...) And when you capture a strange life form, it could lead you to a special project. Live werewolf could grant you access to a better medikit since werewolf are suppose to regen wounds except from silver. Of course, the chance to get the Concerned citizen mission should be higher. And it could have rival agency agents appearing as the time goes on...

Strange life form mission should be very risky (more than they are already  8)) without the good info/tools. I'm not saying that it should be impossible but maybe very risky.

Also, if I take the werewolf example once again, maybe he could be very resilient to lots of damage type except silver ?

Just a thought !

Maybe? But it's quite a bit of work, so not soon; I have more pressing things to do (late game aliens, Reptoid arc).

And regarding directional lights: while a torch would be fine, putting it on a weapon would be a problem: which weapons should have it? All of them?

Also I have no idea how directional light would work vs. enemy detection (if you hold a light source, you are visible even if you aren't projecting the light towards the enemy), but that's beyond this thread.

Offline Bobwolf

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 08:52:46 pm »
It doesn't need to be on every weapon. Maybe only a couple to make them more appealing? Maybe some BlackOps ?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 01:15:49 pm »
It doesn't need to be on every weapon. Maybe only a couple to make them more appealing? Maybe some BlackOps ?

But if you can can put it on a BlackOps rifle, why not on an AK-47?
This is the question I will be asked 10 minutes after the release, and I won't have a satisfying answer.

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 01:59:28 pm »
Maybe a shoulder lamp like in Aliens that could be turned on and off (if that's even possible)? As far as i can tell every armor (beach and other "special" outfits not withstanding) has shoulder slots.