aliens

Author Topic: Just a thought for the beginning  (Read 9696 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Just a thought for the beginning
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 02:12:57 pm »
Maybe a shoulder lamp like in Aliens that could be turned on and off (if that's even possible)? As far as i can tell every armor (beach and other "special" outfits not withstanding) has shoulder slots.

This can already be done... it's pretty much how vanilla works. Hell, even the original game worked like this back in 1994. OXC / OXCE+ only allows you to turn it off or change light intensity.
But of course this light is omnidirectional.

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 04:34:45 pm »
This can already be done... it's pretty much how vanilla works. Hell, even the original game worked like this back in 1994. OXC / OXCE+ only allows you to turn it off or change light intensity.
But of course this light is omnidirectional.

Do you mean the "personal lighting" that you can toggle with L? I was under the impression that that was just a visual aid for night missions, and it doesn't actually illuminate anything.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 04:51:25 pm »
Personal lighting works as actual lighting - even in vanilla you can stand a soldier next to an alien at night and the rest of your soldiers will be able to see them as if it were day.  The power of the personal lighting matters though as low-level light sources will only be cosmetic.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 04:52:45 pm »
Do you mean the "personal lighting" that you can toggle with L? I was under the impression that that was just a visual aid for night missions, and it doesn't actually illuminate anything.

No, it definitely illuminates... if the light is powerful enough (in vanilla it is).

Offline BTAxis

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 05:14:18 pm »
Well, the more you know.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 01:59:12 am »
Could have an item that increases the personal light level, though honestly they already seem to be equipped with the setting equivalent to a good flashlight, the actual flashlights are big portable floodlights, I think.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2018, 01:40:42 am »
But if you can can put it on a BlackOps rifle, why not on an AK-47?
This is the question I will be asked 10 minutes after the release, and I won't have a satisfying answer.
Most military weapons have a rail to mount extra equipment, mainly sights: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weaver_rail_mount Even the weapons without one can be equipped with one. The smallest weapon with a rail Wikipedia mentions is a Beretta 92FS pistol. So, it's safe to assume everything as big or bigger can carry a flashlight. I guess, that leaves snubnose pistol, light pistol, taser, flare gun, probably flamethrowers. Alien weapons don't have Earth standard rails (or maybe they do — the implications would be fun), but probably can be fitted with ones too.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2018, 08:54:03 am »
The lights often equipped on those rails are usually fairly dim. They're usually modified small Mag-Lites. Powerful for their size, but still not the light that a big police flashlight/club can give . . . although what comes after the slash is really the main reason those flashlights are so huge. The main reason for them being so dim is battery size, such a small battery can put out bright light, for maybe an hour. Or, a lower lumen level for several hours. The reason they've gotten as bright as they have in the last 30 years is vast improvements in LED technology to create lights with much less heat wastage, and so can actually provide a higher lumen count at lower amperage because in LEDs light is not a byproduct of heating a filament.

Anyway, the light from a handgun mounted Tac Light is about the brightness of the personal lights already used in the game. Although, the Tac Lights you can mount to a decent rifle or shotgun can be a good bit brighter.